***** Official Election Game Day Thread *****

32 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I actually still fear he and Barr will be able to get enough unmarked forces surrounding the White House that it would require military intervention to clear them out. But hopefully he can be talked down from this lunacy.

It would be fun to watch, but ain’t happening.  The only force allowed on WH grounds in the SS and their job is to protect the POTUS.  Not the guy that used to be president a few hours ago.  Unless they are willing to commit career suicide and face prosecution themselves.   Which they aren’t. Remember these women and men are the “best of the best.”  

• Plus1 2

Just now, Decoy73 said:

It would be fun to watch, but ain’t happening.  The only force allowed on WH grounds in the SS and their job is to protect the POTUS.  Not the guy that used to be president a few hours ago.  Unless they are willing to commit career suicide and face prosecution themselves.   Which they aren’t. Remember these women and men are the “best of the best.”  

What's "allowed" isn't relevant - we would be past that point if it came to. And if they are helping stage a coup they wouldn't be worried about their careers, win and they would be set. Plus it should be obvious by now there are a lot of crazies, and if they think the election was stolen by Trump, they'll think they're being patriots.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

What's "allowed" isn't relevant - we would be past that point if it came to. And if they are helping stage a coup they wouldn't be worried about their careers, win and they would be set. Plus it should be obvious by now there are a lot of crazies, and if they think the election was stolen by Trump, they'll think they're being patriots.

C’mon.  The SS isn’t a bunch of ex-shaggy bearded skinheads.  They are professionals who I’m certain are wholly as non-partisan as Americans can be.  I’m sure sure they get that jammed into their heads over and over again during training.  

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

C’mon.  The SS isn’t a bunch of ex-shaggy bearded skinheads.  They are professionals who I’m certain are wholly as non-partisan as Americans can be.  I’m sure sure they get that jammed into their heads over and over again during training.  

I wasn't talking about the SS. You brought up the SS, not me. Like I said, what's "allowed" isn't relevant. That they are the only ones allowed isn't relevant if there is a coup attempt. We are talking hypotheticals of course, and I don't really think this will happen, but if Trump is trying to stay in the White House all rules go away.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I wasn't talking about the SS. You brought up the SS, not me. Like I said, what's "allowed" isn't relevant. That they are the only ones allowed isn't relevant if there is a coup attempt. We are talking hypotheticals of course, and I don't really think this will happen, but if Trump is trying to stay in the White House all rules go away.

To think any force outside of the US military is going to breach and/or overtake the WH is..no offense.. crazy talk.  So the SS is entirely relevant.  But this is turning into a silly debate about a far out hypothetical made for Hollywood.  I’m out. 
Cheers.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

To think any force outside of the US military is going to breach and/or overtake the WH is..no offense.. crazy talk.  So the SS is entirely relevant.  But this is turning into a silly debate about a far out hypothetical made for Hollywood.  I’m out. 
Cheers.

I agree it's crazy talk, but that isn't what I am saying would happen. They wouldn't be fighting their way into the WH. They would be welcomed in by the sitting president. If you think he wouldn't be able to figure out a way to invite them, that's kind of silly. He breaks norms all the time, even in doing things that aren't supposed to be legal. Your comment makes it sound like you've never read a history book. Why do people think the U.S. is somehow immune to this kind of thing when craziness is right in our faces right now? Again, all hypothetical, I'd give it a 5% chance that he would try it, and a 0.5% chance he'll have success, but that's about 100x more likely than it's ever been before.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

It wouldn't be fun to watch Trump holed up in the WH with bugaloo boys on guard. Luckily I agree that will never happen. What will be fun to watch is when capitol police drag Trump out of the building, should he choose to go that way. 

• Plus1 1

I counted votes in Michigan. There’s no way to commit fraud.

It would take a level of effort I can’t even comprehend to circumvent that process. The sheer volume of ballots, their exact ID numbers, the number of people involved who have never met one another and don’t have much opportunity to talk and don’t have their cellphones — all those layers add up to keep the process fair and the count accurate. Michigan also allows all political parties, as well as some nonpartisan groups, to each have one election challenger at the count. They walked around, taking notes. They could stand behind us and watch us work, and they could ask questions at any time about what we were doing and how we were doing it. We had about a dozen people circulating around the space, watching us all day. It was odd to feel that supervised, but I was glad to have them in the room. They would interrupt to ask things like “What are you doing now?” or “Can you explain that to me?” but the tone wasn’t confrontational. Things proceeded smoothly. Over 24 hours, Ann Arbor processed about 55,000 absentee votes, or 93 percent of the absentee ballots it had issued.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1