Biden's America

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Calling it harsh seemed to imply that the proposed tax levels were somehow unprecedented, which they are not.

Unless you seem to believe that those levels of taxes are high regardless of time period or income level, in which case I apologize. That is a valid opinion (which entirely wrong).

I personally, believe no tax rate should be higher than around 30-33%.  They should, instead, be working to make sure people in that income level are actually paying that rate.

• Plus1 1

The period in our country with the most economic growth and the biggest growth of the middle class was when the top marginal tax rate was close to 90% under a republican president. Now income inequality is getting out of control, the middle class is shrinking, and new home buyers have to compete with foreign investor groups paying cash for homes, people are complaining over a top marginal tax rate of 37%. 

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

The period in our country with the most economic growth and the biggest growth of the middle class was when the top marginal tax rate was close to 90% under a republican president. Now income inequality is getting out of control, the middle class is shrinking, and new home buyers have to compete with foreign investor groups paying cash for homes, people are complaining over a top marginal tax rate of 37%. 

This is way more productive and would go farther to accomplish what is intended than just randomly raising the rate to 37%.

President Joe Biden wants to raise taxes on the wealthy to pay for some of his policy proposals. Part of the way he can go about that doesn’t entail touching the tax system at all — instead, he’d just have to put the IRS to work chasing down rich people to make sure they’re paying taxes they already owe.

The New York Times first reported on Tuesday that the White House plans to seek $80 billion over the next 10 years to increase IRS enforcement and beef up the agency as part of Biden’s plan to pay for his American Families Plan, the next phase of his economic recovery agenda. The idea is to try to close the “tax gap” — the difference between what the IRS collects in taxes and what is actually owed — which IRS chief Charles Rettig recently said at a Senate Finance Committee hearing could amount to $1 trillion a year. “We do get outgunned, there’s no other way to say it,” he said. Research indicates that more than a third of all unpaid federal income taxes come from the top 1 percent of taxpayers.

The problem is people like Trumps who don't pay taxes.  Raising it to 37% isn't all of a sudden going to get them to pay taxes.  ENFORCING the tax laws is what gets them to pay taxes.

This is where we need to start.  There are millions of rich people who pay taxes as they should.  Raising the rate to 37% punishes the people who do it right and does nothing to people like Trump.

Now, I would love to hear the Republican argument as to why this isn't a bipartisan effort.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is way more productive and would go farther to accomplish what is intended than just randomly raising the rate to 37%.

The problem is people like Trumps who don't pay taxes.  Raising it to 37% isn't all of a sudden going to get them to pay taxes.  ENFORCING the tax laws is what gets them to pay taxes.

This is where we need to start.  There are millions of rich people who pay taxes as they should.  Raising the rate to 37% punishes the people who do it right and does nothing to people like Trump.

Now, I would love to hear the Republican argument as to why this isn't a bipartisan effort.

And I get bashed on here for suggesting the exact same thing.  Weird.  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Agree. I also like the free 2 year college route.

My only concern is making sure the math works on another (almost) $2B proposal.  

I suppose you could argue that free pre-K programs might cripple daycare centers BUT there are going to be about 10 billions babies born between now and the next year because of covid lockdowns...so it should work out!

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I suppose you could argue that free pre-K programs might cripple daycare centers BUT there are going to be about 10 billions babies born between now and the next year because of covid lockdowns...so it should work out!

Honestly, I'd much rather see pay return to the level in which on family member could work and provide for the whole family allowing one parent to stay home and you know, raise their own dang kids, than universal free pre-k. There is no reason a 3 or 4 year old should be in school full time and raised by someone other than their parents except the misguided greed of runaway capitalism. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Honestly, I'd much rather see pay return to the level in which on family member could work and provide for the whole family allowing one parent to stay home and you know, raise their own dang kids, than universal free pre-k. There is no reason a 3 or 4 year old should be in school full time and raised by someone other than their parents except the misguided greed of runaway capitalism. 

I did alright growing up in daycare. You get too socialize a lot more. I only have a mild fungis, and minor emotional trauma.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Pre-K programs run through daycare centers as well; you would probably see a push to get more centers with these types of programs to get access to federal dollars. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

That ship has sadly sailed; there's no way that a middle class family could afford to do that without massive structural changes to the system, let alone anyone near the poverty line. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

That ship has sadly sailed; there's no way that a middle class family could afford to do that without massive structural changes to the system, let alone anyone near the poverty line. 

Isn't the answer just...don't buy so much expensive s#!t?

I mean, does a family of 4 NEED a 300,000 (or more) home?  Do they need two car payments at the same time?  Do you need to shop at Whole Foods, do you need to eat out a lot and belong to expensive gyms?

f#&% it, Yes!  We do need that s#!t!  Screw raising your own kids!  Hahah

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Isn't the answer just...don't buy so much expensive s#!t?

I mean, does a family of 4 NEED a 300,000 (or more) home?  Do they need two car payments at the same time?  Do you need to shop at Whole Foods, do you need to eat out a lot and belong to expensive gyms?

f#&% it, Yes!  We do need that s#!t!  Screw raising your own kids!  Hahah

I get your point, but the average price of a new home nationally in 2019 was almost 400k (it's a bit better around here; around 215k in Omaha and 230k in Lincoln). Families need two cars to get two parents to work, kids to school, etc. Groceries, no matter where you shop, are expensive, and Chipotle is delicious. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1