Nebraska is not a good football team

I am I

15 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

It’s even simpler than that... just throw some freaking posts, fades, downfield option routes. Even if we suck at it, the threat at least makes the defense think about it. These dumb 20 yard pass sideway routes that only

go 3-5 yards forward are called too often and they’ve NEVER been productive. It lets the defense creep up and stack more against the run threat

and its not a talent issue.:: there is speed and size at the wide out position. While they’re young, they aren’t out talented by a northwestern team that was trash last year 

Been talking about this same issue with folks I watch games with.  At some point you have to stretch the field no matter the result.  It’s amazing how much movement the players make just to throw a 3-5 yrd out.  neb now has 2 6-4 receivers.  Throw a few fade jump balls.  Throw some deep posts.  And how about a few trap running plays mixed in with the zone read.   
This offense will be trash until the QB’s do not lead the offense in running and out pass attempt per play adds 5 more yards minimum 

• Plus1 1

Nebraska has plenty of talent which may not have been the case a few years ago.  They simply do not have a good head coach that is maximizing that talent. The offensive play calling today was probably the worst I have seen since Frost took over.  We had more rushing and passing yards than Northwestern and 126 more total yards yet only put up 13 points on the board and lost the game.  

Frost's decision making in key situations and his decision to play Martinez for 3 full quarters cost his team the game.  

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, obert1 said:

Hate the warner motion! 

Exactly,  there is not point in it.  We are not giving him the ball.  How about a few motions with Wandale and actually give him the ball on a sweep.  And Stop with stupid play action every single freakin pass play.  3rd and 15 doin play action does nothing but take the QB’s focus off of reading the defense.  

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I over estimated what Frost was, based on one season where he had a Heisman caliber QB. It looks like he is destined for his 4th losing season in 5 years as a head coach. I truly have no idea if he will figure it out. My motto the last 2 years was "Frost will get this turned around". I have my doubts. 

Yes I am there with you on this one.  He has had one winning season in four years and is on track to have one winning year out of 5 seasons. That is not a record of even an average head coach.  

He certainly has brought in some talent so that can no longer be an excuse.  

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Nebraska has plenty of talent which may not have been the case a few years ago.  They simply do not have a good head coach that is maximizing that talent. The offensive play calling today was probably the worst I have seen since Frost took over.  We had more rushing and passing yards than Northwestern and 126 more total yards yet only put up 13 points on the board and lost the game.  

Frost's decision making in key situations and his decision to play Martinez for 3 full quarters cost his team the game.  

I'm in the camp that there really isn't anything he can call with AM.  The QB draw works sometimes I guess.

I agree the flaw is your last point.  He's doing loyalty over winning games.  He's going to eventually lose people (players, fans, supporters) if he doesn't get it figured out.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Been talking about this same issue with folks I watch games with.  At some point you have to stretch the field no matter the result.  It’s amazing how much movement the players make just to throw a 3-5 yrd out.  neb now has 2 6-4 receivers.  Throw a few fade jump balls.  Throw some deep posts.  And how about a few trap running plays mixed in with the zone read.   
This offense will be trash until the QB’s do not lead the offense in running and out pass attempt per play adds 5 more yards minimum 

Yep, It's been glaring the last two weeks. Nebraska forces the game to be played within 5 yards of the LOS, it's way too easy to defend. QB runs, Swing Passes, Mills up the middle is 95% of our offense. It's not hard to defend, especially when we're in the redzone and the defense is already stacking the box. They recruited Manning, Wandale, Betts for a reason. They need to get creative in the vertical passing game. If you can consistently find Betts, Manning and Wandale 15+ yards down field, things will open up for the QB run game, and Mills and those swing passes you like to run. I could give a s#!t if a walk-on WR blocks a little better. There is a reason the good blocking WRs aren't drafted. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I'm in the camp that there really isn't anything he can call with AM.  The QB draw works sometimes I guess.

I agree the flaw is your last point.  He's doing loyalty over winning games.  He's going to eventually lose people (players, fans, supporters) if he doesn't get it figured out.

Well the Nebraska press took it easy on Frost the first two seasons.  They need to start putting pressure on him.  His honeymoon is long over and this is the year we should be seeing progress.  

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

Well the Nebraska press took it easy on Frost the first two seasons.  They need to start putting pressure on him.  His honeymoon is long over and this is the year we should be seeing progress.  

There is progress in every aspect of the program except offense.  Many have forgotten how awful the D and special teams were last year. 

The offense is stone cold terrible.  The only moved the ball because of turnovers and questionable PI calls against Northwestern.

He needs to pull the trigger this week.  Frost is losing these games by not putting the right guy(s) on the field.

• Plus1 1

People keeps saying who’s flashed or not but how can you in an offense that seems to have 7 plays in the entire playbook. We definitely have enough skill players what else does this guy need to show he can actually coach 

QB - both are limited once you take their legs out the equation but I’ve seen offensive minded coaches win with less. But the lack of Martinez progression in the pass game says a lot about the lack of player development. 

RB - Mills, Thompkins and Scott all look like strong athletes to me. Once again with coaching if why is Wandale not getting touches out of the backfield? because it doesn’t translate to his future at the next level? either he does what’s best for the team or he can go that’s how you build culture instead of always blaming the players when they don’t have discipline or direction. 

WR - Put the athletes on the field and throw them the ball. 

I was pissed we did not play Wisconsin but after watching this game, I think that was a blessing in disguise. We would be looking at an 0-4 start which is now the new Norm with Frost. At year 3, you would think we would be a little better but we have shown no growth and our new talent is average at best. Luke has a good future but not with Frost horrible play calling.