Nebraska is not a good football team

I am I

37 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

You don't bring in recievers to block, you bring them in to catch the ball and run past everybody else. That said in this offense WR blocking is a skill that changes the game. We run too many bubble screens. If we aren't blocking on the perimeter it screws the whole offense. Maybe that's part of the issue. Its funny though because I think the screens would be more successful if the defense was scared of everybody that could catch the ball rather than just locking in on Wandale as the only threat. If Warner is essentially a lineman split out wide it makes blocking those plays harder because the defense already knows why he's on the field. 

Like the scout I quoted said, Betts and Manning are big enough and talented enough to get in the way or run someone off. The bubble screens aren't going for huge gains as it is. Risk/Reward says go with guys that can be an intermediate/deep threat, teach them to be serviceable blockers. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

What sucks about this whole situation is that over the years our defense as shown signs of improvement, and this year's defense is playing well enough to win the division, but our offense. Our offense has been pedestrian since frost got here, and what is more horrible is that we have the pieces to consistently put up 24+ points.

We have the big body WR, we have the fast and shifty receivers, we have a RB that makes you respect inside zone, and TEs good for the mid passes. In sum we have the pieces to force defenses to respect every corner of the field, and that alone should be able to overcome a few false start penalties. But frost's piss poor play calling is really what is holding us back. 

7 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

What sucks about this whole situation is that over the years our defense as shown signs of improvement, and this year's defense is playing well enough to win the division, but our offense. Our offense has been pedestrian since frost got here, and what is more horrible is that we have the pieces to consistently put up 24+ points.

We have the big body WR, we have the fast and shifty receivers, we have a RB that makes you respect inside zone, and TEs good for the mid passes. In sum we have the pieces to force defenses to respect every corner of the field, and that alone should be able to overcome a few false start penalties. But frost's piss poor play calling is really what is holding us back. 

Really what's holding us back is our #1 and #2 quarterbacks are averaging a turnover per game apiece 

Scott’s scheme really needs to be revamped.

The trouble with throws 5-15 yard range and nothing but bubble screens is that for a spread offense it does nothing for spreading out the teams we are facing. Right now we are telegraphing every single play and the decent defenses in this conference see right through the designs.

I wasn’t the least bit surprised when Nebraska started to move the ball at the end. The inability to score is 1000% on Scott getting cute. Mills plowing in from 5 yards out shows me that Nebraska needs to start keeping defenses honest with the medium to long passing game, and supplement it with a downhill mills and Marvin Scott attack.

We have great players. Why hasn’t Scott built a great team with all this offseason time?

• Fire 1

51 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Not sure why Warner should ever see the field again.  It’s a pretty good tell what the play is because he has only one thing that he can do.  Not sure how many plays he saw yesterday, but it’s probably too many. Get them big bodies in there. 

I just saw Mitch Sherman say, Frost's philosophy on WRs is "No Block, No Rock". And that's how he decides playing time (article during our off week, last week). I get what he's trying to do, but he's making opposing DCs gameplans significantly easier. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I just saw Mitch Sherman say, Frost's philosophy on WRs is "No Block, No Rock". And that's how he decides playing time (article during our off week, last week). I get what he's trying to do, but he's making opposing DCs gameplans significantly easier. 

No skill, yardage nil.  Speed out, defense stout.  Talent benched, offense lynched.  Sit the hero, offense zero...whatever it is now is not working.  

Play your top talent.  Let them learn on film day and by experience.  Walk-ons whose 40 times are measured with sun dials aren't doing it.

11 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Like the scout I quoted said, Betts and Manning are big enough and talented enough to get in the way or run someone off. The bubble screens aren't going for huge gains as it is. Risk/Reward says go with guys that can be an intermediate/deep threat, teach them to be serviceable blockers. 

Agreed.  OSU had all 11 defenders within 7 yards of the LOS.  They did so because they knew we didn't play the players to spread them out.  It's hard to win a football game within a phone booth.  

10 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

It's going to be "No win, let the new coaching search begin" if he continues with this attitude.  He needs to put the best 11 on the field.  He's going to lose the team if they continue to lose, especially blowout losses on national TV.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I completely agree and I really think if the DB actually had to worry about Manning faking a block and running by them on a fake bubble screen it would make the bubble screen itself more effective. 

I hope we see Fleming, Betts and Manning in at w/r together. Scott and Wandale in at r/b more. Luke start at q/b. 

Let's at least give PSU something to think about. They sure don't have much if any tape, on anyone but Luke.

I was all in on the Frost hire, and still think he can turn it around. He may need to take a hard, hard look at his red zone, play calling.

GBR!!!

17 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

"Blocking is a nice skill set for a wide receiver, but NFL coaches could teach a toddler to stalk block or run off coverage. It's great that Julio Jones is a menacing blocker, but how often does that skill change or win ball games for the Atlanta Falcons?" 

I don't think anything can make that happen at this point. :cop:

image.png.8e215a1e5cdcb5c030cc582fd2d43dcb.png L

image.png.a0ac38bea3c74b8bbcc6f0e3a0c6413b.png    L

image.png.43688d757ecdcf43268122b25ba72157.png   L

16 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Ya, in a perfect world we'd have guys that can do both and I get that Frost is trying to establish a culture but we still have to get guys in there that pose a downfield threat.