Penn State Week Pressers

knapplc

10 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Coaches say "open competition week" and we will still trot out the same old starters and get the same results.  

3 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Yup - I expect the same. 

This is not at either of you personally, I see a lot of people who believe this. But do you really believe they're sabotaging the team by intentionally playing worse players? Frost is stubborn, but he's also an insane competitor who wants to win. I think that outweighs any stubbornness sticking with guys for any reason, so I really believe they think the guys out there give us the best chance.

We can disagree with them on that I guess, but we really think we know certain players give us a better chance to win? We've seen some of these guys playing a little bit, and many of them not at all. The coaches are much more in tune with the players' strengths and weaknesses, and I believe them if they're saying the guys playing give us the best chance to win. We can still be frustrated and it could still be the coaches fault that the younger guys aren't developed to a point where they help us win more, but I just don't understand the view that the open competitions are not legitimate.

• Plus1 4

7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

This is not at either of you personally, I see a lot of people who believe this. But do you really believe they're sabotaging the team by intentionally playing worse players? Frost is stubborn, but he's also an insane competitor who wants to win. I think that outweighs any stubbornness sticking with guys for any reason, so I really believe they think the guys out there give us the best chance.

We can disagree with them on that I guess, but we really think we know certain players give us a better chance to win? We've seen some of these guys playing a little bit, and many of them not at all. The coaches are much more in tune with the players' strengths and weaknesses, and I believe them if they're saying the guys playing give us the best chance to win. We can still be frustrated and it could still be the coaches fault that the younger guys aren't developed to a point where they help us win more, but I just don't understand the view that the open competitions are not legitimate.

Open competitions Fraud

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
20 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

No, I definitely don't believe they are self sabotaging. I think there isn't enough trust in some of the younger guys who might mess up here and there but have much more talent than a player which might be assignment sound during the week. The frustrating part is a lot of the guys being put out there still make mistakes in game. For instance, Liewer and Falck have committed more penalties and mistakes than they have made contributions in the games so far. 

• Plus1 3

Athleticism can be plainly seen on the field by any of us watching the game. But a player's knowledge of the playbook and system, not so much.

We've got a lot of armchair quarterbacks in here who see a QB like Martinez make a throw that seems to have been way off the mark, or even to no one in particular, and they scream for him to be benched. In reality, when plays like that happen, it's often the fault of a receiver who ran the wrong route, and wasn't where the QB expected him to go.

Likewise, some will see a defender who got there a little too late to make a play, and boo him for being so slow. In reality, often the reason he got there late is because he isn't even the guy who was supposed to be defending that offensive player - he was just trying to cover for someone else's screwup.

Know who's in a much better position to judge how well a player knows the playbook and system than we are? I'll give you a hint: his name is Scott.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Toe said:

Athleticism can be plainly seen on the field by any of us watching the game. But a player's knowledge of the playbook and system, not so much.

We've got a lot of armchair quarterbacks in here who see a QB like Martinez make a throw that seems to have been way off the mark, or even to no one in particular, and they scream for him to be benched. In reality, when plays like that happen, it's often the fault of a receiver who ran the wrong route, and wasn't where the QB expected him to go.

Likewise, some will see a defender who got there a little too late to make a play, and boo him for being so slow. In reality, often the reason he got there late is because he isn't even the guy who was supposed to be defending that offensive player - he was just trying to cover for someone else's screwup.

Know who's in a much better position to judge how well a player knows the playbook and system than we are? I'll give you a hint: his name is Scott.

Ya I’m not sure that applies to AM so much. He’s not just missing receivers. He consistently one hops throws in the dirt, throws swing passes at the running backs feet, throws uncatchable balls out of bounds or the back of the end zone.. That’s purely him not being comfortable and settling down and making a throw. All in him and I don’t think it’s lack of ability either.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, Farms said:

Ya I’m not sure that applies to AM so much. He’s not just missing receivers. He consistently one hops throws in the dirt, throws swing passes at the running backs feet, throws uncatchable balls out of bounds or the back of the end zone.. That’s purely him not being comfortable and settling down and making a throw. All in him and I don’t think it’s lack of ability either.

100% agree

1 hour ago, Decked said:

I wonder how many new guys will actually unseat veterans or if this is just more fluff. Time to sit all the walk-on WRs and put Luke in. No way Reimer should be a #2 LB too. 

Along with Reimer,  I’d look at Betts, Fleming, Farmer, Newsome.......

1 minute ago, UniversalMartin said:

100% agree

He is living inside his own head.....

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Open competitions Fraud

Eh, Frost fired a couple guy's last season. I don't think he's stupid and I don't think he does things just to play favorites; looks to me like he makes the hard decisions to put the team first (generally at least).

Now is he stubborn? Maybe. Bo had a lot of that and it manifested in some similar ways to some stuff we're seeing here. We'll see what happens this Saturday.

3 hours ago, Farms said:

The fields only so big.  It doesn't extend beyond the out of bounds line.  Screen passes are being run correctly, it's almost impossible to screw up that route.  Throwing into triple coverage is a choice by the quarterback, not the receiver. 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Farms said:

tyTc1Nl.jpg

I ain't talking about balls that are just obviously over/underthrown or mistimed or whatever. Yeah, that's obviously on the QB, including Martinez.

I'm talking about the kind of passes that make you want to say to a QB "WTF were you even thinking?" The kind where there's not even a receiver in the neighborhood, or that seem to have been thrown directly to a defender.

Those are the kind of passes that you start to see a lot more of if you try to play guys who don't know the playbook and their routes.

To put it another way: those saying Frost should just start all these new receivers who've missed a lot of practice and are still trying to catch up miiight wanna be careful what you wish for.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Toe said:

tyTc1Nl.jpg

I ain't talking about balls that are just obviously over/underthrown or mistimed or whatever. Yeah, that's obviously on the QB, including Martinez.

I'm talking about the kind of passes that make you want to say to a QB "WTF were you even thinking?" The kind where there's not even a receiver in the neighborhood, or that seem to have been thrown directly to a defender.

Those are the kind of passes that you start to see a lot more of if you try to play guys who don't know the playbook and their routes.

To put it another way: those saying Frost should just start all these new receivers who've missed a lot of practice and are still trying to catch up miiight wanna be careful what you wish for.

Well I thought we were talking about our quarterback not our receivers, so I apologize.  But yea that could potentially be a reason why the young receivers haven't seen the field more, but to my point, if AM plays like he did last week it's not gonna matter who we play at receiver honestly.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Toe said:

tyTc1Nl.jpg

Well, throwing a ball directly to a defender, wrong route or not, is squarely on the QB...essentially that implies the WR would have been covered, QB is guessing he should be open and not reading coverage (pre determined throw).

I get what you are saying overall, but AM struggles are clearly between his ears...and Frost is doing him no favors with shiitty playcalling 

• Plus1 1