Biden's 1st 100 days & his 1st Year legislative agenda

Biden's First 100 days  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, deedsker said:

But they are more likely to know when someone is trying to screw them on said repair. Still useful even if you don't know everything.

Since the people crying about not getting their student loans paid off for free because they can’t afford it is the discussion, I’m pretty sure they are financially illiterate to understand when someone is trying to financially screw them over.  

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Since the people crying about not getting their student loans paid off for free because they can’t afford it is the discussion, I’m pretty sure they are financially illiterate to understand when someone is trying to financially screw them over.  

Or there is a significant population that wasn't going to be able to get into the position they studied for or couldn't finish due to circumstances outside their control. Also, if you don't go to college, the stats are very much against you having a living wage.

• Plus1 2

How about we incentivize programs (example: engineering degrees) and let those that want to get a performing arts degree to pay their own way. We also need to look at a return on investment because some of these schools have horrible retention and graduation rates. It would suck to have student debt without a degree. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, jaws said:

How about we incentivize programs (example: engineering degrees) and let those that want to get a performing arts degree to pay their own way. We also need to look at a return on investment because some of these schools have horrible retention and graduation rates. It would suck to have student debt without a degree. 

This isn't a bad idea.

15 minutes ago, jaws said:

UNL has incentivized engineering classes by making you pay more per hour because you will eventually make more money. Even good degrees are having their value reduced.

5 minutes ago, deedsker said:

UNL has incentivized engineering classes by making you pay more per hour because you will eventually make more money. Even good degrees are having their value reduced.

I work for a small school and we do the same thing with our engineering college. However, it is more expensive to run an engineering college (faculty salary and other program costs) than an arts and science or business college, so it does make sense to charge more.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This is realistically what Biden's first 100 days is really going to be:

Yep.  This is exactly what Biden's first 100 days (and more) is going to be used up with.

I always roll my eyes with the "first 100 days" crap.  Very seldom do these things actually get done in that time frame.  It's more of a chance for the candidate to spew something on the campaign trail of what his/her top priorities are.

1 minute ago, jaws said:

I work for a small school and we do the same thing with our engineering college. However, it is more expensive to run an engineering college (faculty salary and other program costs) than an arts and science or business college, so it does make sense to charge more.

Which puts those students further behind the starting point whether they get a better paying job or not. I have plenty of my engineering friends who less than 10 years removed from graduation are no longer employed in the field or never got a job that would be considered engineering related. At this point, I would put it at a 50/50 proposition for those who graduated to have gotten an engineering related job/ compensation akin to their education. That also doesn't speak to people like my first roommate who dropped engineering because they couldn't handle the course load. 

13 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Which puts those students further behind the starting point whether they get a better paying job or not. I have plenty of my engineering friends who less than 10 years removed from graduation are no longer employed in the field or never got a job that would be considered engineering related. At this point, I would put it at a 50/50 proposition for those who graduated to have gotten an engineering related job/ compensation akin to their education. That also doesn't speak to people like my first roommate who dropped engineering because they couldn't handle the course load. 

Engineering isn't for everyone.

I can't say that I am seeing that where I work and our placement rates within the field are really high. I have friends in industry that have a hard time finding engineers, even some with little or no experience. It may also depend on the engineering disciple. A mechanical or electrical might have an easier time finding something with good/great compensation more so than a civil. Some of it is their willingness to go where the jobs are.