Looking at Loss #19

Mavric

Frost’s 19 losses, by most measures, look slightly better on paper than his fired predecessors’ 19 losses.

Average margin of defeat:

Callahan: 20.5

Riley: 16.2

Solich: 14.8

Pelini: 14.7

Frost: 14.0

Losses by 30 or more:

Riley: 5

Callahan: 4

Pelini: 4

Frost: 3

Solich: 2

Losses by 7 or less:

Frost: 10

Pelini: 10

Riley: 9

Solich: 9

Callahan: 8

Losses to unranked opponents:

Riley: 13

Frost: 11

Callahan: 11

Pelini: 8

Solich: 6

But there’s one measurement — the most important one — that stands out like a flashing light.

How many games did they coach at Nebraska before reaching the 19th loss?

Solich: 76

Callahan: 45

Pelini: 67

Riley: 38

Frost: 29

OWH

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the specific losses that really sting to me. Losses against teams that wound up/will wind up having losing seasons - not just "losses to unranked teams."

The Purdue game last year and the Illinois game this year really stand out for me as examples of those.

It's really surprising to me that Frost hasn't been able to get on top of constantly being negative in the turnover margin and penalties in year 3.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

I get a couple things from this.

1. Frost has been really close to getting this team into the win column and competing. In a rebuild you usually lose close before you start to win close and so on.

2. At some point you have to turn the corner and not only win these games, but win the games you're supposed to. If you never do that, number one doesn't really matter.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

The close losses do matter IMO. Not right now of course, but I feel it shows you are close to getting there. I even do spreadsheets in the off seasons of teams that can turn the corner and close losses is one of the main criteria. 

Frost is under an ungodly amount of pressure to win here and it is killing him inside that he isn't which affects how he is coaching. Plays too nervous. He is HOPING to win right now. Not a good thing to do when a HC

• Plus1 1

@NorhuskerI am anxious to see how many guys from Purdue show up. Brohm being cryptic and keeping numbers and guys close.  Can't blame him.  It will be horrific at best if they have significant starters out (not quantity, but quality) and have mailed in the season,  just going through the motions and we lose....I want a W, even if it's against fans and staff tomorrow...