What is the future of the Republican Party?

18 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Interesting read about the Trump bootlickers.

https://apple.news/AueeEbWzQTQGTbUAyKHiqZQ

I simply cannot fathom how some of these guys like Graham and McCarthy can have a shred of self respect. Trump is bad (understatement of the year) but his brown-nosers are just pathetic trash.

Very good description of Trump from the article 

Trump said and did obviously awful and dangerous things—racist and cruel and achingly dumb and downright evil things. But on top of that, he is a uniquely tiresome individual, easily the sorest loser, the most prodigious liar, and the most interminable victim ever to occupy the White House. He is, quite possibly, the biggest crybaby ever to toddle across history’s stage, from his inaugural-crowd hemorrhage on day one right down to his bitter, ketchup-flinging end. Seriously, what public figure in the history of the world comes close? I’m genuinely asking.

Bottom line, Trump is an extremely tedious dude to have had in our face for seven years and running. My former New York Times colleague David Brooks wrote it best: “We’ve got this perverse situation in which the vast analytic powers of the entire world are being spent trying to understand a guy whose thoughts are often just six fireflies beeping randomly in a jar.”

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If you read about some kings a couple centuries ago, they sound like him. 

Other than that, I’ve got nobody that compares. 

Yes I’m ready for him to exit stage right directly into jail 

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

And yet he still scares me a lot less than some of the politicians out there who aren't as stupid and are just as evil.

Certainly there are many politicians out there with even more evil and dangerous ideas but I don’t think they have the carte blanche and cult following to advance them like Trump does. As long as he is not in prison and has any chance of re-inhabiting the WH, he should scare you more. He won’t make the same “mistakes” with another shot at it. There is absolutely no reason he would temper his actions in the slightest now.

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Certainly there are many politicians out there with even more evil and dangerous ideas but I don’t think they have the carte blanche and cult following to advance them like Trump does. As long as he is not in prison and has any chance of re-inhabiting the WH, he should scare you more. He won’t make the same “mistakes” with another shot at it. There is absolutely no reason he would temper his actions in the slightest now.

Yep. 

If he were elected again, that would mean that none of the crap now being revealed stuck and changed peoples minds.  And, he would be instantly a lame duck president.  

Absolutely worst case scenario. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep. 

If he were elected again, that would mean that none of the crap now being revealed stuck and changed peoples minds.  And, he would be instantly a lame duck president.  

Absolutely worst case scenario. 

If voters want him, America deserves him.

If all it took was 6 months of high gas prices to gloss over the destruction of Democracy, the obvious white-nationalist undertones on the Right, and the immense distrust manufactured leading to the unnecessary deaths of hundreds of thousands, America deserves the decline its currently undergoing. Voters in our democracy are not equipped to handle the world's problems, as such they deserve what's coming to them. 

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

If voters want him, America deserves him.

If all it took was 6 months of high gas prices to gloss over the destruction of Democracy, the obvious white-nationalist undertones on the Right, and the immense distrust manufactured leading to the unnecessary deaths of hundreds of thousands, America deserves the decline its currently undergoing. Voters in our democracy are not equipped to handle the world's problems, as such they deserve what's coming to them. 

Couldn't one assume that the 81 million that voted against Trump would do so again? 

Not sure how that guy gets elected...unless the Ds put up Hillary again I guess.

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Couldn't one assume that the 81 million that voted against Trump would do so again? 

Not sure how that guy gets elected...unless the Ds put up Hillary again I guess.

A supreme court that will now most likely go along with states sending in electors that weren't actually reflective of the will of the voters.   

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m slightly more concerned about DeSantis. He’s showed he uses revenge as a tactic, even just against companies saying things he doesn’t like, and he’s not as dumb as Trump. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I’m slightly more concerned about DeSantis. He’s showed he uses revenge as a tactic, even just against companies saying things he doesn’t like, and he’s not as dumb as Trump. 

And the the people still enamoured with the GOP on this board are behind him as well.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I've said this a few times: raw votes does not get a Democrat elected. Everybody knows they're going to win the popular vote. The issue is the popular vote margin the Democrat candidate needs to win by is growing with each election cycle, since the Electoral College rewards geography more than the popular vote. 

In 2016, popular vote D candidate needed to win: 2.2%, they won by 2.1% and lost the election.

In 2020, popular vote margin D candidate needed to win: 4.3%, they won by 4.4% and won the election. 

By 2024, this trend is going to continue. A D candidate will need to win the popular vote by ~5.5% or higher, nearly impossible margins, in order to win. 

Translation: Trump/DeSantis can win with fewer votes than in 2020, even if they lose by a blowout of 8-10 million popular votes. All of this is before SCOTUS legalized whatever nonsense Republicans want to do at the state level. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I've said this a few times: raw votes does not get a Democrat elected. Everybody knows they're going to win the popular vote. The issue is the popular vote margin the Democrat candidate needs to win by is growing with each election cycle, since the Electoral College rewards geography more than the popular vote. 

In 2016, popular vote D candidate needed to win: 2.2%, they won by 2.1% and lost the election.

In 2020, popular vote margin D candidate needed to win: 4.3%, they won by 4.4% and won the election. 

By 2024, this trend is going to continue. A D candidate will need to win the popular vote by ~5.5% or higher, nearly impossible margins, in order to win. 

Translation: Trump/DeSantis can win with fewer votes than in 2020, even if they lose by a blowout of 8-10 million popular votes. All of this is before SCOTUS legalized whatever nonsense Republicans want to do at the state level. 

And, when you have so many MAGAts being elected this next election to state legislatures or governors that are convinced the last election was stolen, we are setting ourselves up fir a disaster in 2024.