What is the future of the Republican Party?

39 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well you get a lot of things wrong here, too. Some school districts want to retool some advanced programs

Ok so I was right.  I left off the “de facto segregation” stuff

42 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

many also find a way for advanced and AP programs to continue, with a better eye for inclusion.

So my suggestion was correct thinking in my post.  Thanks for acknowledging.   Copying for posterity.  

School districts are trying to take away advanced programs rather than expand them to include those that haven’t been able to achieve an educational level to qualify.    

49 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's just that back when America was Great and still an economic powerhouse, the CEO to Worker pay ratio was 20:1. Today, it's 350:1. And that doesn't include non-salaried. compensation, which may be why companies now jockey for short term payouts rather than long term growth, a strategy that typically doesn't payoff for the non-executive class.

I don’t find this to be true.  If you can show otherwise I would be happy to acknowledge my error.  CEO Compensation includes bonuses which can be paid out in in cash, stock, options, etc…

52 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

when you simultaneously decry every attempt to elevate the bottom?

Another incorrect statement.  By you saying every, it’s automatically false, but it’s incorrect beyond that level.  

• Plus1 1

Wait... MAGA is the vehicle to bring back American Exceptionalism? 

The same MAGA that......

proposes the solution to our kids having to go to school as sitting ducks is to arm teachers, have one entrance into the school, and deadbolt that door from the inside? 

suppresses voting rights and a women's right to make her own health choices with her doctor? 

denigrates scientists daily as evil money whores in the pocket of Big Pharma leading to much high death rates from Covid among their followers?  Or other scientists are in some grand climate change conspiracy for the purpose of.....of.....that I'm still not sure of but damn it, it's a hoax!!!

Who's unassailable leader attempted to overthrow our democracy and is continuing to do so to this day?  And when he's being held to even 1/10th of the rule of law that any of us would be held to, the whataboutism, disinformation smokescreen gets churning full bore.   

The same MAGA that has attempted to purge or has purged any sane members of the party in which it claims to represent simply for pointing out the insane of their cult leader? 

The MAGA that wants to exit NATO so that Putin can have free reign with his murderous, expansionist desires, the result of which would be a destabilization of Europe leading to a wider conflict at a later date and on a much larger scale.  

And that doesn't even touch the antisemites and racists who gravitate to the MAGA movement.

That American Exceptionalism?  The rest of the world is scratching their collective head wondering how this all came to be.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This becomes a circular problem for people.  You claim you want immigrants to come to the US because they have new ideas and can move the country forward.

But....those Immigrants dang well better not bring ideas from their country.

Where do you think those immigrants get the ideas that can move our country forward?

#1) who says “those immigrants dang well better not bring ideas from their country” ? 

#2) who says each idea brought forward is going to good for the US?   Some will and some won’t.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I also think that the Liberal position for a much greater portion of that group is to bring down the standard of the most successful way more than they desire to want the less successful to achieve that first groups success.   We see this in schools as an example.  School districts are trying to take away advanced programs rather than expand them to include those that haven’t been able to achieve an educational level to qualify.    
In the business world, it’s always talked about CEO pay vs the rest of the worker pay.   The largest component of that difference compared to what it was decades ago is equity wealth.   So liberals want to have the C Suite employees give up what they get to make things equal (which is just options to buy shares and won’t help raise salaries of others) but instead what they should advocate for in a public company is creating a law that says a proportionality option should get for all employees that hit a standard set/MBO if any level of employee in said  organization gets stock options. Similar to what happens with offering healthcare plans in companies.  

So it may have been better for me to say Liberals desire more equal outcomes by bringing the top down in cases vs trying to elevate those at the bottom towards the top.  I feel many Liberals want the bottom to get just a little bit better to eke out a living with the governments constant help vs providing resources that get them to an middle class/upper middle class lifestyle that is independent of any constant government support.  

And BTW…what you described me of doing, which I just took ownership of doing bad, is constantly done here towards the other side of the spectrum.  Read things posted going forward and see how often the “right” or “republicans” are all lumped together 

I am no spokesperson for the liberal side of things as I am fairly conservative (an arguable claim for you I’m sure). But this is not at all accurate according to what I’ve witnessed.

I think it is patently wrong to say the left wants to bring down the fat cats and doesn’t want to elevate the poorer folks. That is not the desired result of wanting our whole system to work better for everyone. There are currently inherent and embedded inequalities between the top 1% to 2% and the rest of us and for sure the bottom 50%. The pay and wealth gap is simply not sustainable. It is not about bringing down the top, it’s simply having the top pay more because they can easily afford it with virtually no change to their situation but potentially huge differences for those below them.

It’s not about equal outcomes, it’s about a fairer and more equitable system that works for more people.

Do you really think fractional stock options for workers who can’t afford living expenses let alone stock purchases is actually some sort of answer for helping them improve their situation? How about CEOs take a little less and share a little more with the folks making those profits possible? Seems pretty simple to me….and I’m a business owner.

And you are correct, the discourse is and has been highly partisan. Both sides are portrayed as the worst examples of their side, wrongly in most cases. That shouldn’t be shocking when our system creates haves and have nots. The only part of it I haven’t been able to figure out is why so many from the lower class, middle class and upper class (excluding the ultra rich) choose to support policy that favors the ultra rich. I loved me some Reagan but that s#!t definitely did not and does not trickle down to anything beneficial to those getting pissed on.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I think it is patently wrong to say the left wants to bring down the fat cats and doesn’t want to elevate the poorer folks

I assume you are referencing someone else with this.   My claim wasn’t that the left doesn’t want to elevate the poorer folks.   It’s that they want to help them but not enough to not still be dependent on government.  

Do you really think fractional stock options for workers who can’t afford living expenses let alone stock purchases is actually some sort of answer for helping them improve their situation?

Absofrickenlutely They are helping ANYONE who gets a chance to own them if a company is doing well.   Long term purchases of RSO’s buys will do wonders for those at the bottom of the food chain.  Just as ANYONE who gets buys into a traditional 401k or Roth 401k is doing wonders for their own retirement.  

How about CEOs take a little less and share a little more with the folks making those profits possible?

This is fine too.  

• Plus1 1

The only part of it I haven’t been able to figure out is why so many from the lower class, middle class and upper class (excluding the ultra rich) choose to support policy that favors the ultra rich.

What specific policies are you talking about? Sincere question 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What specific policies are you talking about? Sincere question 

Sorry, I should’ve said the Republican party as well as policy. I just don’t understand how somebody like Trump gets people making under $100k per year to support him and the ultra rich and the policy of giving tax cuts to the rich and fighting against almost all social programs. A lot if it is done by blaming immigrants and liberal policies for their plight but I just don’t get how they buy into it to the depths they do. I guess almost all politicians are pretty slimy but at least some on the dem side actually want to help people.

• TBH 2
16 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

#1) who says “those immigrants dang well better not bring ideas from their country” ? 

continue to celebrate and share parts of their culture but remember why they are leaving their homelands and picking the US as their landing spot. 

So...immigrants can bring ideas as to what would make America better...which they more than likely formulated by what they experienced in their former country....but, don't bring ideas similar to what your former country was.

I'm honestly trying to figure out how this works.

There was a time when American Exceptionalism was our brainpower; when the top European scientists were fleeing 20th Century fascism and relocating to the United States, where our post-War boom in science and technology — and also literature and intellectualism -- was something Americans were proud of, even if they didn't fully understand it. 

Half of America now mocks intelligence, ignores science, and votes for willful stupidity. And yet demands you call it Exceptionalism. 

Even Patrick Mahomes is confused and disappointed. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 1
18 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Ok so I was right.  I left off the “de facto segregation” stuff

So my suggestion was correct thinking in my post.  Thanks for acknowledging.   Copying for posterity.  

School districts are trying to take away advanced programs rather than expand them to include those that haven’t been able to achieve an educational level to qualify.    

I don’t find this to be true.  If you can show otherwise I would be happy to acknowledge my error.  CEO Compensation includes bonuses which can be paid out in in cash, stock, options, etc…

Another incorrect statement.  By you saying every, it’s automatically false, but it’s incorrect beyond that level.  

Just admit that we interpreted your posts exactly the way you intended, and found them sorely bereft of fact and perspective.  

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So...immigrants can bring ideas as to what would make America better...which they more than likely formulated by what they experienced in their former country....but, don't bring ideas similar to what your former country was.

I'm honestly trying to figure out how this works.

Did you not see the unbolded sentence of the post you quoted?   You are trying to fit a square argument into a round hole.  It’s not working.  

• Plus1 1