What is the future of the Republican Party?

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Honestly I wish people would stop posting Brian Cohen tweets. He might not be as deranged or as hostile to basic objective facts as his right-wing counterparts, but he's an absolute partisan hack who can't ever let stories speak for themselves and has to editorialize them to be left-sympathetic and right-antagonistic. I don't think there's anything at all wrong with the book in a vacuum, but it is explicitly about gender identity and expression. I don't even have a problem with it existing in a school, but reading it as the teacher of a class is a textbook case (no pun intended) of "f#&% around and find out".

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1
14 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Honestly I wish people would stop posting Brian Cohen tweets. He might not be as deranged or as hostile to basic objective facts as his right-wing counterparts, but he's an absolute partisan hack who can't ever let stories speak for themselves and has to editorialize them to be left-sympathetic and right-antagonistic.

Hmm...  Seems to be the same story. Everywhere.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

• TBH 2

14 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Honestly I wish people would stop posting Brian Cohen tweets. He might not be as deranged or as hostile to basic objective facts as his right-wing counterparts, but he's an absolute partisan hack who can't ever let stories speak for themselves and has to editorialize them to be left-sympathetic and right-antagonistic. I don't think there's anything at all wrong with the book in a vacuum, but it is explicitly about gender identity and expression. I don't even have a problem with it existing in a school, but reading it as the teacher of a class is a textbook case (no pun intended) of "f#&% around and find out".

It comes off to me as someone who read the book to the class knowing what the outcome is going to be so that she can be a martre.  

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

Hmm...  Seems to be the same story. Everywhere.

He linked to a CNN article, I'm not talking about the story itself, I'm talking about the way that he paints a picture.

This is actually a very tame example, but he says "..just fired by officials after she read a book to her students that teaches kids to be proud and accept themselves for who they are. " omitting very clear and relevant context.

• Haha 2
Just now, Lorewarn said:

He linked to a CNN article, I'm not talking about the story itself, I'm talking about the way that he paints a picture.

This is actually a very tame example, but he says "..just fired by officials after she read a book to her students that teaches kids to be proud and accept themselves for who they are. " omitting very clear and relevant context.

Ok.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes

It might take awhile. Because of heavy GOP advantages in the Senate and the Electoral College, they will remain competitive even with terrible candidates and brain dead policy positions. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Yep...this is why I have said over and over that 24 won't be close.  Easy win for Joe and 28 will be a race of two "new" faces, I would even say both 28 candidates will be under the age of 50.

The 2024 race will be close no matter what. The minimum number of Electoral College votes any Republican candidate will get is 235 (the biggest blowout possible is 303 - 235) which will make it the closest EC vote in two decades.

When it comes to raw vote totals, the 5 swing states are going to be decided by ~1% or so. It's pretty likely that the 2024 race is going to be decided by 50k total votes, similar to 2020 when it was decided by much less than even that. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It might take awhile. Because of heavy GOP advantages in the Senate and the Electoral College, they will remain competitive even with terrible candidates and brain dead policy positions. 

The 2024 race will be close no matter what. The minimum number of Electoral College votes any Republican candidate will get is 235 (the biggest blowout possible is 303 - 235) which will make it the closest EC vote in two decades.

When it comes to raw vote totals, the 5 swing states are going to be decided by ~1% or so. It's pretty likely that the 2024 race is going to be decided by 50k total votes, similar to 2020 when it was decided by much less than even that. 

I guess what I mean is, the election is already over.  Any swing state that voted R last time is not voting R this time.   

JB is +175

Trump +280, I think?

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes

agreed.   

The GOP needs to be purged of the cult and the only way is to change their incentives - stay wt the cult and lose or change to more moderate, common sense candidates and win.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

And the GOP candidate could again lose by wide margins in the popular vote but look competitive in the EC - thus lessoning the 'sting of defeat' - which may keep the GOP on its current path - not enough incentive to change course. 

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

agreed.   

The GOP needs to be purged of the cult and the only way is to change their incentives - stay wt the cult and lose or change to more moderate, common sense candidates and win.  

And the GOP candidate could again lose by wide margins in the popular vote but look competitive in the EC - thus lessoning the 'sting of defeat' - which may keep the GOP on its current path - not enough incentive to change course. 

I think there is some truth to this.