What is the future of the Republican Party?

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

So in my view, it’s definitely not a strawman to point those papers of record make massive mistakes at times with their reporting and it’s worth calling out.  

You added qualifiers to argue a point I didn't make. So, yes, that's a problem. And yes, it's a straw man. I'm not going to debate warped interpretations of points I didn't make. Your post was just looking for ways to split hairs.

I'm also uninterested in rhetorical and pedantic questions. It is obvious that no media organization is infallible. The inverse was never implied or stated.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Apparently the future of the republican party is more of them succumbing to Covid than Independents or Democrats.

Same people crying about masks, school closures, and other health orders.  SMH.  Hopefully their kids can't attend school without vaccinations.  Hopefully, public transportation is out and on and on.  Make it basically impossible to function in society without presenting documentation of vaccination. 

Science is hard for these people.  Try explaining that, by not getting vaccinated, the virus is allowed to continue cycling throughout the species and inevitably mutations will arise that will eventually breakthrough the vaccines...... meaning we may have to shutdown everything again.  

Evolution is never clean but there appears to be a certain level of Darwinism at play here.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, Enhance said:

You added qualifiers to argue a point I didn't make. So, yes, that's a problem. And yes, it's a straw man. I'm not going to debate warped interpretations of points I didn't make. Your post was just looking for ways to split hairs.

I'm also uninterested in rhetorical and pedantic questions. It is obvious that no media organization is infallible. The inverse was never implied or stated.

Somehow I must accept your interpretation of what I intended to say yet my interpretation of your post has no merit.  That’s fine, we disagree.  

• Plus1 2

Controversial GOP rep. Lauren Boebert claims she started carrying a gun after a man was beaten to death behind her restaurant. He actually died of a drug overdose.

Colorado lawmaker Lauren Boebert once again used a bogus story about a man being "beaten to death" outside her restaurant to advocate for gun rights, despite the local police department debunking her claims after an autopsy showed that the man had died from a drug overdose. 

Boebert was speaking on the House floor during Wednesday's debate on bills that might expand background checks before guns can be purchased. 

"There was an altercation outside my restaurant where a man was physically beat to death, there were no weapons involved, he was beat to death by another man's hands," she said, referring to a 2013 incident outside her Shooters Grill restaurant in Rifle, Colorado.

Boebert used the story to justify why she and the staff at her restaurant all carry guns at work.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe she needs to be more concerned about opening her mouth and stupid stuff coming out.

Classic doublespeak. It's fine to say that stuff when it builds support among racists and antisemites. But now she wants to play the victim card, too.

Generating outrage for attention and whiny victimhood are core tenets of the New GOP.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It's remarkable she ever even made it to Congress in the first place. I don't think there are a lot of people that would be sad to see her go.

I agree wholeheartedly. Virtually everyone center/right agrees. But, some folks portray her as some sort of poster child for what the entire party looks like.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I agree wholeheartedly. Virtually everyone center/right agrees. But, some folks portray her as some sort of poster child for what the entire party looks like.

Let's see how the Repubs in the House vote before assuming that they also want her out.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

But, some folks portray her as some sort of poster child for what the entire party looks like.

I agree it's not wholly fair to make her into a representation of the party itself, but this is one of those moments where the party could show some mettle and prove that she doesn't represent them. She encapsulates a lot of the things people perceive negatively about the Republican party, and not just her deference to bizarre conspiracy theories, but also her myopic views on legitimate policy issues.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

I agree it's not wholly fair to make her into a representation of the party itself, but this is one of those moments where the party could show some mettle and prove that she doesn't represent them. She encapsulates a lot of the things people perceive negatively about the Republican party, and not just her deference to bizarre conspiracy theories, but also her myopic views on legitimate policy issues.

It is definitely a time of opportunity for the (at least I hope) base of the party to show the likes of MTG and Cawthorn they aren't calling the shots. 

• Plus1 2