Covid-19 Vaccinations.

On 12/25/2020 at 6:39 AM, Scarlet said:

Neck gaiters don't work.  Wearing a surgical mask without the wire formed around your nose doesn't work. 

I'd say only at 30% of the people I see are even trying to wear the mask right.  

Curious about your definition of "doesn't work"?

8 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Curious about your definition of "doesn't work"?

If you're talking about neck gaiters which typically have a wider mesh, there was some research done and the gaiter could atomize the droplets making them more airborne and thus more easily spread and further due to being suspended in the air for hours rather than minutes.  Other face coverings in the same situation would more likely do a better job keeping droplets inside the material and help prevent spread.  

I suppose saying they don't work is still up for debate.  I should have said they probably do not work as well as other options and possibly can create issues in certain situations.

https://hartfordhealthcare.org/about-us/news-press/news-detail?articleid=27691&publicId=395

24 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Thanks for the link @Scarlet

You're welcome. 

I was looking around for more information after you asked the question and nothing seems conclusive yet so I guess we should take it with a grain of salt.  Intuitively it makes sense. 

I'd love to see a real in-depth research study done on masks.  Hopefully that's being conducted now so we all can make the right choices in the future.  For now I'm a surgical mask guy making sure I seal it off as much as possible.

14 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

You're welcome. 

I was looking around for more information after you asked the question and nothing seems conclusive yet so I guess we should take it with a grain of salt.  Intuitively it makes sense. 

I'd love to see a real in-depth research study done on masks.  Hopefully that's being conducted now so we all can make the right choices in the future.  For now I'm a surgical mask guy making sure I seal it off as much as possible.

I would like to see more data on the gaiters. They are very common here in Central NE.

28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I would like to see more data on the gaiters. They are very common here in Central NE.

Yeah I think if Duke had done more replications with their study they would have provided some really good information.  It's definitely not useless but not totally definitive either.  Hopefully they are continuing the study.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

I almost exclusively wear a neck gaiter rather than a traditional mask. So if there's solid science that says they're not effective, I'd be glad to know.

Like all masks, it depends on the fabric and how the user wears them.  I believe it was only the polyester, "dry fit" material, that they said was ineffective if worn in only one layer.

If it's made of cotton or multi-layered, it's probably just effective as most masks worn.  According to the articles linked, they can be effective if you fold it over on itself to create multiple layers of fabric.

https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/08/neck-gaiters

https://ohsonline.com/articles/2020/12/21/neck-gaiters-are-effective-face-coverings-says-cdc-and-niosh-report.aspx

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Like all masks, it depends on the fabric and how the user wears them.  I believe it was only the polyester, "dry fit" material, that they said was ineffective if worn in only one layer.

If it's made of cotton or multi-layered, it's probably just effective as most masks worn.  According to the articles linked, they can be effective if you fold it over on itself to create multiple layers of fabric.

https://medical.mit.edu/covid-19-updates/2020/08/neck-gaiters

https://ohsonline.com/articles/2020/12/21/neck-gaiters-are-effective-face-coverings-says-cdc-and-niosh-report.aspx

Another use for the "swiss cheese" analogy 

• Plus1 1

I had a neck gaiter I wore for a few weeks in the summer, but I didn’t like how thin it was, and honestly pulling it up and down was as big of a pain as other masks. My wife bought about 10 cotton masks which work well and aren’t uncomfortable. My kids make fun of me how I put on the mask, but they are always trying to find ways to joke on their old man. We did an escape room at the nearby mall today, and we weren’t sure if they would require a mask the entire time, because we were not the only people in the room. Honestly, we didn’t even notice we had them on. Tomorrow night, we are going bowling, and I’m sure we will wear masks, even if there are barriers separating each lane area. 

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I had a neck gaiter I wore for a few weeks in the summer, but I didn’t like how thin it was, and honestly pulling it up and down was as big of a pain as other masks. My wife bought about 10 cotton masks which work well and aren’t uncomfortable. My kids make fun of me how I put on the mask, but they are always trying to find ways to joke on their old man. We did an escape room at the nearby mall today, and we weren’t sure if they would require a mask the entire time, because we were not the only people in the room. Honestly, we didn’t even notice we had them on. Tomorrow night, we are going bowling, and I’m sure we will wear masks, even if there are barriers separating each lane area. 

Did someone say bowling!?!?

• Plus1 1