Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

11 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Have you seen Smothers throw a single pass in college?

No, I haven’t. I am speculating on his ability. That’s what most posts and threads are on this board, especially when it comes to the next year. Also, none of us are players or NU coaches and we don’t have anything to do the success of NU each year, but it doesn’t stop us from having countless discussions on this board. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

No, I haven’t. I am speculating on his ability. That’s what most posts and threads are on this board, especially when it comes to the next year. Also, none of us are players or NU coaches and we don’t have anything to do the success of NU each year, but it doesn’t stop us from having countless discussions on this board. 

Agreed

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I feel like there is probably a thread on here somewhere that would be nearly identical to this one if you take all the posts promoting Smothers, change the name to McCaffrey and subtract a year from the date.

I think that's cause the QB play in general has to be elevated for us to reach our goals. I was one of the posters calling to see Luke (only weeks ago). At some point the new guy has to be better than what we've seen on the field, or we will see the same results - barring a change of scheme. Frost's QB's stats have correlated with his success at every stop.

It's frustrating watching the current "bowl games" and seeing teams like Liberty, Coastal and La Tech with better QB than NU.  Offensively, they also looked to have better skill position guys than we did.  Could also say that about 2017 UCF.....Martinez looked viable against Rutgers, but that was Rutgers (we are really not any better) and a SOLID/COMMITTED running game.  Maybe that's the answer.  Feed the RB 20-25 times a game.  Let the big boys upfront move that LOS. I also think AM would look light years better rolling out.  Bit that's just me. 

Also of note that Trask and Jones were only 3* kids out of HS.  I'll credit their success to playing with NFL talent and development.  Talent will be hard to compete with the likes of Bama, UF, OSU, Clemson etc....but would should be able to develop kids like a lot of other schools are doing.  Getting kids to punch above their weight class has got to be worth an extra win or 3.  Like Iowa St said, 5* culture vs 5* players........

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

Also of note that Trask and Jones were only 3* kids out of HS.  I'll credit their success to playing with NFL talent and development.  Talent will be hard to compete with the likes of Bama, UF, OSU, Clemson etc....but would should be able to develop kids like a lot of other schools are doing.  Getting kids to punch above their weight class has got to be worth an extra win or 3.  Like Iowa St said, 5* culture vs 5* players........

And Ian Book was also a 3 star, 15th best pro style QB in 2016

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Our current QB coach developed a low three-star into a Heisman vote-getter.

He has also helped a ton of other QBs through the years including the kid who holds the best completion percentage ever for an entire season in the FCS (75.2%).  The pessimists don't want to hear the good stuff though or the reality of the situation he was placed in here at Nebraska.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Everyone thinks they "know" the "reality" or the "truth" but maybe some are just optimistic to the point of being ignorant. Ignorance is bliss. We have a top notch staff, We have a top notch staff, We have a top notch staff. There I feel better if I say it enough.

I don't claim to know anything other than the facts.  Coach Verduzco has 30 years of very good performance leading up to his time here at Nebraska.  The guy has proven he can coach.  I think the average passionate fan struggles to evaluate their favorite team without emotion.  Many times this leads to harsh judgements in the wrong areas.

Our coaches don't get a free pass but I believe their past performance dictates that we give them more time to build this program since it was in such bad shape when they arrived.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Everyone thinks they "know" the "reality" or the "truth" but maybe some are just optimistic to the point of being ignorant. Ignorance is bliss. We have a top notch staff, We have a top notch staff, We have a top notch staff. There I feel better if I say it enough.

Does it also help you feel better if you take every opportunity to exaggerate how bad everything is?

• Plus1 7