The Angry Violent Left

i can remember "many fine people" who were marching around carrying torches and yelling "jews will not replace us"   trump called them very fine people.    how that wasn't suppose to be a call to arms for the nazis and anti semitics i will never figure out.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, ZRod said:

This whole discussion has gotten way too heated in light of recent events.

What you call the left, isn't angry that a Republican won, or that a brash businessman won. Infact myself and many, many others here we're willing to give him a chance once he was elected, but he never tone down the rhetoric and vitral. They're angry that an indecent human being, seemingly incapable of self reflection, and incapable of bringing the nation together won. They're angry that someone won who is clearly lining their own pockets in office, while taking away the health and we'll being of the most vulnerable among us. 

These recent incidents didn't occur in a vacuum. For you and I words may not have a very big impact, but when you're an elected official, or working in the office of one, everything you say and do matters. Everything you don't say and do matter equally so. The president, his press secretaries, the vice president, the Senate majority leader, etc. have all been caught telling grand lies to the nation. When confronted with evidence of their lies they either refuse to acknowledge them, or attempt to create some alternate reality. When the Press, who are the voice of the people, won't stop holding them accountable what do they do? They call them the enemy of the people, they cut off access (SHS cancelled the daily press briefing), demean them, and they incite vocal anger against them. These are elected officials, who are here to serve the public, and by cutting off access to the Press they have effectively side stepped accountability. And while they cut off that access they continue to whip up their fan base telling them that they are letting in violent criminals, taking their guns, and stealing their jobs. They're dumping fuel on the Fire, and at the same time taking away any of the fire extinguisher to keep the flames under control. Don't feign surprise when those who are under attack begin to talk back and stand up for themselves in social protests. When you cut off the people they will push back.

This didn't start with Trump, it didn't start under Obama, and it didn't start under Bush. This is the culmination of something more than 20 years in the making. Trump is just the gasoline that is exploding the smoldering embers.

There is a turning point in politics if we care to look, where things became less about moving this country forward, and more about scoring wins at all costs. Less about civil discourse, and more about name calling. That isn't what we need. Compromise isn't a dirty word. Holding people accountable for their words and actions, or lack their of, isn't treating them unfairly. It's a standard that we as a nation used to hold ourselves to, and it's a standard that needs to be reinforced again.

Your first sentence is so concise and solid and then the second paragraph went all crazy - which makes zero reason to read the remainder of this message.  I can't find one thing in the bolded paragraph that is true.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

as stated in my second sentence - All of that paragraph

According to some posters here, I'm part of the "angry left".  I can't think of one redeeming quality that Donald Trump has.  I have formed my opinion of him by watching the debates, his interviews, his rallies, and his ridiculous Twitter page.

I, along with several people I know, also would have gladly voted for John Kasich over Hillary Clinton.

That paragraph isn't wrong.

Edit: I also would have voted for Rubio (at the time of the election),  or Bush.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

^^^Didn't realize my above post was confusing.  I thought it was pretty straight forward.  I'm angry because a giant gasbag is my President, I don't care what party he represents.

Exactly. Lets set politics to the side for a moment, this isn't the guy we want leading our country. Just about anyone else would be better regardless of party.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

i watched the video...but don't see where it was a moment of silence for the victims.  the newscasters said nothing about them interrupting the moment of silence.   and  there was a big USA chant going on so they were also interrupting the silence?   

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

as stated in my second sentence - All of that paragraph

What did I get wrong?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So, apparently Republicans are OK with cloaking themselves in religion except for when that religion becomes inconvenient.

well...duh...they were radical liberal clergy since they spoke out against anything republican endorsed.

• Plus1 2