Year 4 Expectations

1 hour ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Please go on about this dline he had ready to go.

I remember strongly at one point in his time here that he had 1 playable dtackle. Had to move very undersized d-end to tackle.

He recruited well in some aspects, but also left major holes in the roster.

You mean other than the four NFL D-linemen that he left for Riley?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KingBlank said:

This is the most ridiculous falsehood in this entire thread.  Bo had way better freaking players then anything remotely put on the field by this staff.  I am not even going to get into the D Line he had ready to go when he was fired.  He had identified that and recruited beasts to that position.  2 of them were the most underutilized players in Nebraska history.  Ahh that's right though, that wouldn't have continued right?  That's always the stupid narrative?  He couldn't recruit right?  As far as I've seen this staff hasn't even come close to being even in the running for guys of Bos classes calibur.  Riley's and Frosts best players were still Bo recruits.  There's no revisionist history here.  This dumping on the guy who was clearly a superior coach of the last 4 is crazy.  I liked winning, we won, we were never more then a game out of the top of the division.  Big game comment right?  I'll take all those big game blowouts to the desecrations of Memorial stadium that occurred after he left.  

Bo, it might be a good idea to spend more time applying for jobs instead of posting on this message board.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

If frost would have taken over when riley did you would have been trying to prove how pelini left the cupboard empty for frost.

Yes, riley was left valentine and collins who were both gone after one year.  After that, there is some serious roster issues on that side of the ball.  The davis brothers were recruited by bo but signed under riley. Bo gets most of the credit, but they did sign under riley.

Bo didn't leave the roster in good shape. There are a couple of bright spots, but not much.

So you admit that your original post was completely false?

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, runningblind said:

I hope we can prove them wrong also but there is zero reason to rank us higher at this point.  Trending up in past seasons and optimism have gotten us losing records each time.

I agree.    The fans and the press are now in a 'show me' mode.  I would be very glad to see 7 wins if we can get there.  

20 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

giphy.gif

Love that song by the way if not the way our offense has performed.

On 3/8/2021 at 8:17 PM, KingBlank said:

This is the most ridiculous falsehood in this entire thread.  Bo had way better freaking players then anything remotely put on the field by this staff.  I am not even going to get into the D Line he had ready to go when he was fired.  He had identified that and recruited beasts to that position.  2 of them were the most underutilized players in Nebraska history.  Ahh that's right though, that wouldn't have continued right?  That's always the stupid narrative?  He couldn't recruit right?  As far as I've seen this staff hasn't even come close to being even in the running for guys of Bos classes calibur.  Riley's and Frosts best players were still Bo recruits.  There's no revisionist history here.  This dumping on the guy who was clearly a superior coach of the last 4 is crazy.  I liked winning, we won, we were never more then a game out of the top of the division.  Big game comment right?  I'll take all those big game blowouts to the desecrations of Memorial stadium that occurred after he left.  

Pelini didn't get fired because he was a bad coach.  He got fired because he was a hot headed a$$h@!e who embarrassed the university on a regular basis.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

On 3/9/2021 at 11:22 AM, Lightfighter214 said:

You are like a hammer looking for nails sometimes.

How can you honestly say after watching pelini his last couple of years that he left a complete dline let alone roster? 

He left two dtackles there, but not one capable defensive end on the whole roster. That doesn't make a competent dline.

McMullen was slower then a tree stump and gangwish was not very good and downright awful at times; he was simply overmatched.

But lets cut to the chase here on where you want this conversation should go:

Somewhere, somehow pelini leaving valentine and collins on the roster points to Riley being awful and evidence of Frost developing the program.

Bad take. Bo left the most talent in the program and it isn't a coincidence that Frost's best year came with the last of Bo's recruits/players. Specifically: Stanley Morgan, Luke Gifford, Davis twins and Mick Stoltenberg. I firmly believe we would have been in the Big Ten title game in either 2015 and/or 2016 if Eichorst & Perlman would have been able to put their egos on the side. 

@NUance is right that Bo's attitude got him fired. The unfortunate part is that his bosses were looking for a reason to fire instead of trying to help him and the program succeed. Unfortunately, most of the local media did no favors in trying to support him and it resulted in constant drama. 

Hopefully Scott's rebuilding the past couple years will start to bear fruit this year and we can get up in the 8 wins discussion before pushing higher in future years. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

The davis twins signed under riley.

You cherry picked 5 players. The only 5 players. There wasn't much other pro talent that he left.

And the media didnt do any favors for bo because he was an a$$ to them.   You think they are going to push good things about bo when he constantly gets in their faces and screams at them?

I didnt mind bo, but he reaped what he sowed.

Yes, and they were recruited by Pelini's staff. Same for Stanley Morgan, Dedrick Young, etc. 

I picked the five players who were most notable from Pelini's era that stuck on until Frost. I could have also added Farmer & Foster. You're mistaken. Bo had Collins & Valentine entering their Junior years and the Davis twins coming up. He also had Freedom & Givens Price who also made NFL rosters. Add in Avery Moss who the university screwed over after his one year suspension. Pelini had a knack for adding talent. Had his bosses supported him, who knows who else he may have added. Remember, they didn't want to sign extensions for him and rarely provided positive public comments about him or the program. The staff mentioned that it was hurting them on the recruiting trail for years. 

You did and apparently do mind Bo or else you wouldn't be going on with these poor arguments about how he left no talent. Yes, Bo took it a little far with some media types (specifically Dirk), however some of these media types needed a good kick in the shorts. The media was looking for controversy and Eichorst/Perlman were looking to stroke their egos and get away from Osborne's influence. Burned us in '02 and burned us again in '15. Thankfully those two are gone and we're building towards being good again, hopefully sooner than later.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

I didnt say he left no talent, im saying he left holes on the roster. Defensive end being one of them. Bo left a top 25-top 50 roster.

Bo went to far with a lot of things which is what cost him his job. Everyone that was involved with that downfall made huge mistakes. 

If everything you said was true, bo would be employed.  He is not. He was one year away from getting fired at YSU and was fired at LSU.

Nearly every coach who leaves can be argued that they "left holes on the roster." It was argued after Osborne retired and then after Solich was let go. 

What did I say that was wrong about Bo? The nine wins a year? The knack for finding talent? Please, enlighten me. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

After this Oklahoma situation, if we don't look competent and are not comfortably over being bowl eligible (7+ wins), Moos is gone; with Frost to follow a year later.  That's my prediction.

I predict you'll be here so estatic and happily and say you always knew they'd turn the corner when this season is over.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SECHusker said:

After this Oklahoma situation, if we don't look competent and are not comfortably over being bowl eligible (7+ wins), Moos is gone; with Frost to follow a year later.  That's my prediction.

Your prediction is more than likely correct.  However, I'm not sure Moos can really be found at fault here.  He landed the two coaches that almost all fans and boosters wanted.  Can he really be held accountable if/when they don't pan out?  Considering we don't know all the in's and out's of ducking OU, I'm not sure he really is at fault.  Who even knows if it was his idea?  It would appear to me that he is doing everything within his power to make sure his coaches do succeed.    

1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

Your prediction is more than likely correct.  However, I'm not sure Moos can really be found at fault here.  He landed the two coaches that almost all fans and boosters wanted.  Can he really be held accountable if/when they don't pan out?  Considering we don't know all the in's and out's of ducking OU, I'm not sure he really is at fault.  Who even knows if it was his idea?  It would appear to me that he is doing everything within his power to make sure his coaches do succeed.    

Moos' fault with the football program was giving Frost a contract extension for additional years when it was not yet warranted. Frost was already locked in through 2024 with his original contract and for some reason Moos added 2 additional seasons despite the team's poor performance. These lengthy contracts are just one more impediment to bringing in a new coach should that be the desired direction.  

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/big-red-business-an-analysis-of-scott-frost-s-contract#:~:text=Near the end of 2019's,by the end of 2024.

20 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Moos' fault with the football program was giving Frost a contract extension for additional years when it was not yet warranted. Frost was already locked in through 2024 with his original contract and for some reason Moos added 2 additional seasons despite the team's poor performance. These lengthy contracts are just one more impediment to bringing in a new coach should that be the desired direction.  

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/big-red-business-an-analysis-of-scott-frost-s-contract#:~:text=Near the end of 2019's,by the end of 2024.

Remember how easy it was going to be to win 9+ games, including "games that matter" once we got rid of Pelini?

This Nebraska job is a piece of cake.....

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2