NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

1 minute ago, Decked said:

I think when they come out with a statement it’ll be we found such & such as a replacement. The rumors are not rumors. They are just trying to finalize a deal. 

If that's how it plays out how do heads not roll?  Fans are furious.  

2 minutes ago, Decked said:

I think when they come out with a statement it’ll be we found such & such as a replacement. The rumors are not rumors. They are just trying to finalize a deal. 

Or they're now trying to back out on the deal and scrambling to come to a settlement with Middle Directional State before stating the Oklahoma game is on as scheduled.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Scarlet said:

Well perception is reality.  Right now the perception is Moos is ducking OU.  To not anticipate that perception is shortsighted.  You don't sell out your brand for whatever up front scratch you can get from this move.   Remember the tough guy PR campaign with the Blackshirts alternate unis last year?   How do sell that now?  

Likely the exact way that they will. This seems money related. In a way that one would assume they cannot openly talk about until it is complete or both sides agree to that. The fan base is understandably playing right into what McMurphy wanted which is why he tweeted it in the first place. 

No one made any kind of noise when they moved the Tennessee game and it didn't have the cache of this, but college sports is about money. Whether it's Illinois in Ireland or the Sooners on the moon. 

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Or they're now trying to back out on the deal and scrambling to come to a settlement with Middle Directional State before stating the Oklahoma game is on as scheduled.

I know one thing is true... they're scrambling either way right now.  Self inflicted wound.  Par for the program the last 20 years.

51 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Nebraska's program really has become soft.

If this situation is truly causing people to decisively arrive at the bolded conclusion, I don't know what football program they've been following the last two decades.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, gorp512 said:

Likely the exact way that they will. This seems money related. In a way that one would assume they cannot openly talk about until it is complete or both sides agree to that. The fan base is understandably playing right into what McMurphy wanted which is why he tweeted it in the first place. 

No one made any kind of noise when they moved the Tennessee game and it didn't have the cache of this, but college sports is about money. Whether it's Illinois in Ireland or the Sooners on the moon. 

I tend to agree it's all money related.  My hunch however is that they underestimated the uproar and didn't calculate that into the profit/loss long term of such a move.  

1) Commit to playing the game.

2) Claim a misunderstanding, even if we know it's bulls#!t.

3) Apologize to Nebraska fans and the Oklahoma program. We look forward to honoring the Game of the Century

4) Hope this is forgotten in six months; do everything possible in that time to field a competitive team loaded with self-respect. 

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

My hunch however is that they underestimated the uproar

If that is the case, then they are dumber than anyone could have imagined. Clinging to past glory might be the greatest of NU's cherished traditions. Taking away a Game of the Century anniversary celebration $h!ts on one of the few things we still actually have: our past.

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If this situation is truly causing people to decisively arrive at the bolded conclusion, I don't know what football program they've been following the last two decades.

On the field results is different than the perception of that of the culture of "Nebraska".   Every program goes through hard times on the field but this is being taken as everyone and everything associated with Nebraska is cowardly.  No way the fans don't identify with that.  And pissed fans is not a great way to generate revenue.  True or not that's the perception.  A savvy athletic department should know this.  It's just a colossal misstep in my opinion.  

2 minutes ago, Ulty said:

If that is the case, then they are dumber than anyone could have imagined. Clinging to past glory might be the greatest of NU's cherished traditions. Taking away a Game of the Century anniversary celebration $h!ts on one of the few things we still actually have: our past.

Agree 100%

3 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Would be a real curveball if this was a move back to B12 and moving this game to Thanksgiving weekend and the hush hush is announcing the departure from the B10. The leak is legit because Nebraska is reformatting it’s schedule. 

In the name of saving face...one could hope

Hmmm.... I like it :)

This is an absolute weak sauce move but the math seems pretty simple:

1) Make more money for the athletic department and increase your chances of bowl eligibility in a season with an exceptionally tough conference schedule

2) Make less money for the athletic department and take an auto-loss to a team you know is out of your league.

This is a perception disaster but I see why they're doing it.