The 2022 Congressional Elections

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

No, it’s not a problem.   It’s by design.   The House is the representative component of the legislature.  

I agree.  It's why I laugh at all the folks in Colorado that want to join Wyoming, or make their own state separate from Denver.  Or all the pissed off people in California and Illinois that complain about Hollywood and Chicago.

Some folks just don't get it.

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

What?  Each state gets two whether the people live in urban or rural sections of the state:dunno

Also I assume you understand Senate races aren’t affected by gerrymandering, (your post is confusing and makes it sound like it affects the number of Senators) and it’s been shown countless times that gerrymandering is a D and R problem. 

My reference to gerrymandering was simply to point out that the political power of Democrats - because of demographic shifts - is easy to mitigate. My apologies for the confusion. 

Regarding the Senate, I'm aware. The issue is that by and large, people are moving to the same handful of areas. Phoenix, Atlanta, several cities in Texas. They're leaving from more states than they're moving to. It's consolidation over time. Democrats are going to turn Arizona, Georgia, and Texas solidly blue however that net gain of 6 Senate seats is negated by the number of states they're leaving, most of rural America and the upper midwest. Losing Iowa, Ohio, eventually Wisconsin, PA, Michigan, etc. is a net Republican gain regarding the Senate.

• Plus1 1

Why it's so important to vote Blue for all local elections as well as POTUS - if they continue to move more things to the state level that is one way to curb impact.  

Gotta hand it to the GOP though, they've played the long game on this one and the courts. Very good strategists.  You'd think they'd be more cautious about those they put forward though, I'd say a good number of them are bad enough to turn off once loyal GOP voters.

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

We were already there in 1973, but one side couldn't leave well enough alone.

Really? I thought it was totally illegal with the "back alley" comments I hear. I think I will look it up. The Supreme Court should have kicked it to the states back then. We would have been done by now.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

Really? I thought it was totally illegal with the "back alley" comments I hear. I think I will look it up. The Supreme Court should have kicked it to the states back then. We would have been done by now.

I'm referring explicitly to the original framework of the Roe v Wade ruling.

This is absolutely not a state's right issue, and that has been made abundantly clear. States are literally trying to prosecutor people for getting an abortion in another state. Protection needs to be at the federal level to prevent that from happening.

It will never be a settled issue until churches stop interfering in the government.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ZRod said:

This is absolutely not a state's right issue, and that has been made abundantly clear. States are literally trying to prosecutor people for getting an abortion in another state. Protection needs to be at the federal level to prevent that from happening.

It will never be a settled issue until churches stop interfering in the government.

Nailed it.

I had a coworker today politely inform me that supporting late-term abortions is tantamount to murder because I support Prop 3 here. I merely said I like people to make their own medical decisions instead of the government making them for them.

A couple of churches in our town have big old No on Prop 3 signs up. IMHO they need to sTFU or start paying their damn taxes like the rest of us.

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I merely said I like people to make their own medical decisions instead of the government making them for them

Does this mean you are ok with someone deciding to abort a baby up to the day before birth since it’s themselves making the decision or am I reading your statement wrong 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

I looked a little at the history. States were moving in the direction of allowing abortions in certain circumstances in the 40s, 50s and 60s. Up to 17 by the time Roe v Wade occurred. Did I read that right? Sounds like things were moving forward. Then Roe declared 26 weeks with states to decide on the third trimester….I think. I wonder if it wouldn’t have been better to let the states keep moving. We would probably be settled like Europe with most countries  between 15 and 20 weeks, then you need special circumstances. It will settle, but there will be states that end up like Portugal with more restrictions.