Chin and Co doing something right

On 5/11/2021 at 6:59 PM, lo country said:

Great accolades for Stille and JoJo.  I have said before and will say again, we are an edge rusher away from having a pretty good D.  Actually really good.    I'd feel better with Honas back (leadership/experience/depth), but IMO, the D will carry the team this year.  At least until the O gets its feet wet and the roster settles out.

Just an aside:  Are rosters setting down much anywhere these days? 

23 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

Genuinely curious - have you dug into the progress he's made since being here? Him and his staff have made incremental improvements every single year he's been here so far. If improving every year for 4 years doesn't sell you, I'm not sure what would. 

Perhaps, but the improvements really haven't been that evident. I still see a lot of inconsistencies. I'm not ready to anoint Chin as the savior just yet.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Perhaps, but the improvements really haven't been that evident. I still see a lot of inconsistencies. I'm not ready to anoint Chin as the savior just yet.

They are plenty evident and obvious.  The part where you don't want to recognize that doesn't change the facts.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I seem to recall at the beginning of last season when there were plenty of fans in the in-game threads who were still criticizing Chin and the play of the defense. Despite what you might want to believe, I'm not the one single hater or detractor who doesn't "want to recognize." We have improved in overall team defense each year since his arrival; I just want to see it continue over a more prolonged period. I'm not going to apologize for having high standards.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I seem to recall at the beginning of last season when there were plenty of fans in the in-game threads who were still criticizing Chin and the play of the defense. Despite what you might want to believe, I'm not the one single hater or detractor who doesn't "want to recognize." We have improved in overall team defense each year since his arrival; I just want to see it continue over a more prolonged period. I'm not going to apologize for having high standards.

I too have always thought the gameday thread was an excellent source for quality takes on the direction of the program.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Considering we were ranked in the 100s prior to their arrival, there was nowhere to go but up. Point is, despite improvements, ranking 50th overall isn't anywhere near good enough. Keep improving and get into the top echelon and then I'll be impressed.

Although I like seeing us high in the rankings and what not, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in them at this point. The defensive product on the field is night and day better. With the exception of a couple games, the defense has been the clear bright spot in the program. 

As far as rankings go, National Champs Alabama were 32nd in the country last year after giving up over 30 points just twice. Ahead of them were the likes of UAB, Army, Georgia Southern & Western Kentucky. The key balance we have failed to establish so far is complimentary football across the three facets of the game. This largely falls on the failures with the offense and special teams. Think about how many times opponents started on our side of the 50 due to poor special teams, offensive turnovers, etc. The best way to get this ship righted is if the offense reduce errors, control the clock and maintain balance for the aggressive defense Chins wants to run. Special teams need to get a punter straightened out and coverage group that will contain. That happens and we're in a much better position as a program and the rankings should rise up.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Although I like seeing us high in the rankings and what not, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in them at this point. The defensive product on the field is night and day better. With the exception of a couple games, the defense has been the clear bright spot in the program. 

As far as rankings go, National Champs Alabama were 32nd in the country last year after giving up over 30 points just twice. Ahead of them were the likes of UAB, Army, Georgia Southern & Western Kentucky. The key balance we have failed to establish so far is complimentary football across the three facets of the game. This largely falls on the failures with the offense and special teams. Think about how many times opponents started on our side of the 50 due to poor special teams, offensive turnovers, etc. The best way to get this ship righted is if the offense reduce errors, control the clock and maintain balance for the aggressive defense Chins wants to run. Special teams need to get a punter straightened out and coverage group that will contain. That happens and we're in a much better position as a program and the rankings should rise up.

Including Army in your comparison list of bad teams is woefully incorrect, have you paid attention to Army football lately? Frankly many Power 5 teams would live to have Army’s D, consistently one of the best every year under Monken, just ask Michigan and Oklahoma.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, caveman99 said:

Including Army in your comparison list of bad teams is woefully incorrect, have you paid attention to Army football lately? Frankly many Power 5 teams would live to have Army’s D, consistently one of the best every year under Monken, just ask Michigan and Oklahoma.

I didn't say they were bad teams, I used the comparison that Alabama was ranked #32 below all those teams. Alabama was the national champion and they were ranked closer to Nebraska at #50 than they were to Army at #2. Hence, my emphasis to not get wrapped up too much in the rankings alone. 

7 hours ago, caveman99 said:

I can’t say that I have watched Army’s defense closely, and I know they have played Michigan and Oklahoma close in recent years, but I would think that Army’s strong defensive rankings benefit from their offense trying to possess ball for 35-40 minutes a game.  That helps Army’s defensive rankings, but doesn’t make their defense “great”. That’s why other efficiency rankings should be used instead of total yards and points to determine how good a defense is. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1