12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

30 minutes ago, soup said:

I know that there will be tie breakers.  I'm just curious what they are going to be?  Usually, they are some form of best record within division, then best home record, etc.

I would assume they treat it similar to the way they have inside a division.  The main difference is not cross divisional but rather common opponents, etc.  

image.png.8f7fa1d0b499a3721de76e96c60118d6.png

image.png.1f3db4c6468ac26b174dec416e897a30.png

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I would assume they treat it similar to the way they have inside a division.  The main difference is not cross divisional but rather common opponents, etc.  

image.png.8f7fa1d0b499a3721de76e96c60118d6.png

image.png.1f3db4c6468ac26b174dec416e897a30.png

Tiebreakers are (somewhat) easy when all the teams have played each other.  Problem is now that you are going to have 2 or 3 teams that are tied that never played each other (and may not have that many common opponents).

Using the 2024 schedule, say Ohio St runs the table and is 9-0.  Then all Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn St end up at 7-2.  And Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn St never played each other and are lacking common opponents.

Michigan - USC, Min, Wash, Ill, MSU, Ore, Ind, NW, OSU

Nebraska - Ill, Pur, Rut, Ind, OSU, UCLA, USC, Wis, Iowa

Penn St - Ill, UCLA, USC, Wis, OSU, Wash, Pur, Min, Mary

So is the tiebreaker going to be total conference opponent's record?  Are they going to go 2008 Big 12 South where they used rankings to break the tie?

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Tiebreakers are (somewhat) easy when all the teams have played each other.  Problem is now that you are going to have 2 or 3 teams that are tied that never played each other (and may not have that many common opponents).

Using the 2024 schedule, say Ohio St runs the table and is 9-0.  Then all Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn St end up at 8-1. (all losing to Ohio St).  And Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn St never played each other and are lacking common opponents.

Michigan - USC, Min, Wash, Ill, MSU, Ore, Ind, NW, OSU

Nebraska - Ill, Pur, Rut, Ind, OSU, UCLA, USC, Wis, Iowa

Penn St - Ill, UCLA, USC, Wis, OSU, Wash, Pur, Min, Mary

I get your point but I just don't think there will be that many situations where it happens.  Common opponents in that scenario above don't apply since each teams loss is to the same common opponent, Ohio State.  Out of conference record would be considered as well in the winning %.  Assuming all had undefeated out of conference schedules, the team that actually got picked to play in the conference championship would be at a disadvantage because the other 2 would be an automatic shoe in for the 12 team playoff at 11-1.      

• Plus1 1

I'm coming around to the 12 team model.

-more teams make it so best players don't feel as compelled to go to same schools

-regular season games still critical as bye/ home game is so powerful

-players are paid so feel better about extra games

-I actually liked that college football was different than all other sports and really it still is pretty unique.

-other bowl games will continue to be diminished unfortunately

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I'm coming around to the 12 team model.

-more teams make it so best players don't feel as compelled to go to same schools

-regular season games still critical as bye/ home game is so powerful

-players are paid so feel better about extra games

-I actually liked that college football was different than all other sports and really it still is pretty unique.

-other bowl games will continue to be diminished unfortunately

The lower tier bowls being not cared about is nothing new, and doesn't change here. Nice for the school's fans but that's it. The major bowls were always the goal.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

The lower tier bowls being not cared about is nothing new, and doesn't change here. Nice for the school's fans but that's it. The major bowls were always the goal.

Never understood the bowls will mean nothing argument. When did they mean anything to begin with? Exhibition games to put on during the holidays when you are home all day with family

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3
35 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Never understood the bowls will mean nothing argument. When did they mean anything to begin with? Exhibition games to put on during the holidays when you are home all day with family

Well, it also got the “best teams playing the other best teams” from different parts of the country that ran different offenses with different schemes and players. The way it is now the game is so homogenous and players move around the country so much the games matter less because they all look the same. 
okus there are 25+ bowl games so it’s not the “best teams”. It is exhibition now, but used to not be. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, I am I said:

Well, it also got the “best teams playing the other best teams” from different parts of the country that ran different offenses with different schemes and players. The way it is now the game is so homogenous and players move around the country so much the games matter less because they all look the same. 
Plus there are 25+ bowl games so it’s not the “best teams”. It is exhibition now, but used to not be. 

9 hours ago, runningblind said:

Used to be less than 10 bowls.  Now 40+ bowls.  And lots of empty seats.

Anyway probably next year, new Toilet Bowl sponsored by Scrubbing Bubbles :D

afafbc73-4d46-4941-a292-78b583f0eccf_3.c

• TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1

So funny seeing a group of Nebraska fans complaining about too many meaningless bowl games.  To each their own but I'm guessing the majority of our fan base would be pretty happy if we make it to one of those next year.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

So funny seeing a group of Nebraska fans complaining about too many meaningless bowl games.  To each their own but I'm guessing the majority of our fan base would be pretty happy if we make it to one of those next year.  

Sure.  But, I'm guessing when they say "meaningless", they mean they are meaningless in the grand scheme of deciding an NC.

Which...ever since I have been watching college football (since the 70s), all but one or two bowl games meant anything to that anyway.  So, that argument just makes me roll my eyes.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/espn-six-extension-college-football-181027679.html

I agree with a lot from this article.  It is from a USC news source though.  eSECpn will dominate the narrative that will drive its bottom line.  

Agree.  It should be farmed out to all networks over that time span.  I wonder if  CBS, NBC, Fox will challenge it in the courts. 

This quote below is something a buddy and I were talking about this morning at work.  He is a KSU fan.  Obviously, KSU doesn't have the funding many of the other big name schools have in the B1G & SEC (including Nebraska) and he says he is getting hammered with requests to contribute to NIL.   Fans are increasingly having to pay higher ticket prices, concessions, travel, hotels, etc.  Fans shouldn't be expected to pick up the tab for NIL as well. 

With the playoff inking this very lucrative deal, one would be reasonable in asking the following question: “Shouldn’t these billions of dollars go to the NIL space, so that fans don’t think they have to donate $100 or $200 to their school’s NIL collective?”

That’s a really, really good question. The huge dollar number for the College Football Playoff TV extension should be a time to raise fresh questions about the NIL structure in college football and create some new regulations and safeguards which change this process and make it more equitable for everyone. This is also a chance for the NIL process to be reformed so that working-class fans don’t feel they have to part with their own hard-earned money to buy an offensive tackle. Money from the playoff — at least a good portion of it — should be set aside for NIL in an even distribution to schools so that schools’ NIL collectives aren’t hitting up fans for money.

• Mavric changed the title to 12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow