What did we learn? Illinois Edition

Obviously the offense has struggled under Frost. At some point shouldn't Frost just say screw and go no huddle, fast tempo for a series or two just to switch it up? Something obviously needs to change and changing the tempo would possibly cause a lot of confusion for the defense because we rarely ever go full speed. Just a thought.

1 minute ago, SDSker said:

Obviously the offense has struggled under Frost. At some point shouldn't Frost just say screw and go no huddle, fast tempo for a series or two just to switch it up? Something obviously needs to change and changing the tempo would possibly cause a lot of confusion for the defense because we rarely ever go full speed. Just a thought.

That only works if you have a running game and can complete passes consistently. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, SDSker said:

The problem is, we cannot execute plays at regular tempo.  I suppose under this scenario our goal would be to hurry up and get penalized.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, SDSker said:

we would only confuse ourselves if we went no huddle.

7 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

The problem is, we cannot execute plays at regular tempo.  I suppose under this scenario our goal would be to hurry up and get penalized.

LMAO

It's strange.  The more I look back on this game it's a game we probably should have won.  Heck CTB's punt return gaffe along with Culp's 2 missed extra points - that's 4 points right there off of those 3 crazy plays.  

Even though the throwing out half of the playbook line was amazingly ridiculous there would have still been the aspect of a largely young team still actually going up against a brand new coaching staff/scheme in Illinois.  I'm not making excuses for the poor play and coaching (preparedness) but looking back on this game there was so much going on before and during.  Seems like it wasn't Nebraska's first rodeo in games like this however.  I think in a perfect world a change at quarterback would do this offense and team wonders but that is for another thread.

9 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

It's strange.  The more I look back on this game it's a game we probably should have won.  Heck CTB's punt return gaffe along with Culp's 2 missed extra points - that's 4 points right there off of those 3 crazy plays.  

Even though the throwing out half of the playbook line was amazingly ridiculous there would have still been the aspect of a largely young team still actually going up against a brand new coaching staff/scheme in Illinois.  I'm not making excuses for the poor play and coaching (preparedness) but looking back on this game there was so much going on before and during.  Seems like it wasn't Nebraska's first rodeo in games like this however.  I think in a perfect world a change at quarterback would do this offense and team wonders but that is for another thread.

The more I think about it, a slim-margined win masks the core of the issues.  We have won a few times in Frost's tenure, but when has it looked like that momentum has fixed core, root issues?

I think there are things going on with Frost and the staff behind the scenes.  Murmurings about them showing up at noon.  Comments about being stymied by Illinois' sets.  The lack of player development, the mistakes, the same presser commentary over and over and over.

I'm not convinced it can be turned around with this staff.

• Plus1 2

I've had skepticism towards SF and his staff as well long before the season even started and I think it's more than just being a mostly young team.  I'm actually not in the camp of firing him at least right now especially during the season and am willing to let this season play out but I'm also am interested to see if SF actually has the cajones to look at his own staff and ultimately know that changes might be needed if he wants to even sniff turning this thing around.  It takes more than just 'culture'.  Then I also question his actual awareness when it comes to his staff and sadly to a certain degree how football is played, etc...