What did we learn? Illinois Edition

I’m tired of the same old coach speech pre-game and afterwards.  Past the time to see it on the field. Today was more of the same.  AM does not seem to be the answer at QB but what else can we do- there is no development behind him.  I saw nothing fundamentally different from last year. ST play & running game and costly penalties 

We lost by 8 points.

Britt gifted them 2 points for a safety that should of never happened.

The Refs gifted them 7 points (reversed an interception because we touched their QB???...what a f&*$%#* joke!)

Lost two points because we cannot make the point after the TD.

Score minus all of the poorly coached/refed bulls&$%   NU 24    ILL 21

Forgot about the scoop and score that our first ever 4 time Captain gifted ILL so score would actually be:

NU 24   ILL 14

Defense played well enough to win the game.

Offense played s*&$^# enough to lose the game.

Special teams continues to be terrible.

We continue to make MASSIVE mental errors that cost us wins.  I think we are all in agreement that this is solely on coaching.

Same ole same ole. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

If Frost gets fired this year, this will be the biggest reason why! 

When Frost gets fired this year. 

FIFU. 

My personal prediction is right after OU drops 70+ on us.  Matt Lubick will take over as interim HC for the rest of the season and my W/L prediction posted in another thread still stands. 

I learned it doesn't actually take 3-4yrs to turn a program around.  You can play with anyone with the right conditioning, play calling and determination, and coach!

And I learned that by watching Bret friggin Bielma outclass Frost's 4th Husker squad on his first day on the job.  Unreal.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2

I honestly don't know if this program will ever be successful again. Why should it be?

-- No obvious recruiting territory that is rich in talent (lost the Texas recruits, for the most part, by leaving the B12).

-- Geographic disadvantage. Twenty-five years ago, this wasn't a problem. But the recruiting rules have changed. A lower-tier, unremarkable B1G program stuck in flyover country. Nearby K-State does a better job of handling this geographic problem.

-- No conference championships for more than two decades -- today's recruits weren't even born.

-- Just a string of mediocre seasons. And every mediocre season just cements the reputation of a meh football program.

-- Great facilities, but everybody has great facilities, thanks to TV money.

Sorry for the pessimism, but there's no sense living in sentimentality for the good ol' days. They're long gone, a quarter-century ago. That's the reality, and t's way past time to get realistic.