What did we learn? Illinois Edition

That I shouldn't miss a D&D* session to watch the Huskers play.

Not that I'm playing in any current D&D campaign on Saturday, but if I get an offer to join a game group I won't turn it down because of the Huskers.

(* as an aside, D&D isn't even the best fantasy role-playing game out there, IMO of course :D )  

I didn't really learn anything I haven't learned before.

• Haha 2

Sam McKewon with some harsh, honest, but very accurate analysis from the game.

"Everything you needed to know about Nebraska's confidence in the run game came on the opening drive of the second half, when NU threw the ball three times. Didn't even try to run. Didn't believe in it."

"It looked like a Mike Riley team. It looked like a Scott Frost team too. After all that talk, so little action."

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, UTVols said:

Tennessee Fan here, I understand your frustration.  Tough loss.  but I think you guys still will make a bowl.  

Martinez reminds me of Jarrett Guarantano which really sucks for you guys.  Frost needs to bench him IMO

He is our best QB.......which extra sucks for us guys. 

Like the old saying goes, you cannot keep trying the same thing and expect different results.  Frost and his staff has shown no signs of improvement from the time they took over.  There was nothing about today's game that makes me believe Nebraska can compete for a division title.  Sadly, the Frost era needs to end right away.

I learned that we have a spectacular way of losing games we should have won. And do it so consistently . And you can’t pin it on one person all the time. 2AM had huge mistakes, but there were the Extra points, catching a punt inside the 2, taunting after a personal foul, holding penalties, another high, bad snap, missed tackles…

I’m tired of it. It’s like teasing us every game with what could have been, but we lose every time.

mistakes like the above point to coaching.

12 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Illinois is better than I thought they’d be. Nebraska’s worse than I’d hoped we would be.  

I was not particularly impressed with Illinois.  They are going to struggle in the B1G this year.  But they knew how to win this game....wait for Nebraska to screw up.  Everyone knows that in the B1G.

They are an infinitely better coached team than Nebraska.  Nebraska is quite likely the most poorly coached team in the B1G.  It's maddening...we are making the same mind-numbing, back-breaking, game-changing mistakes in year 4.  Veteran players are making these mistakes!  We are woefully coached.  It is absolutely disgraceful (in the context of football) for a program that invests the kind of money it does into the flagship program to be so pitifully inept at basic things.  

It is 100% the fault of Scott Frost.  The chips will fall where they may with respect to his job.  I was excited when he was hired.  But it was clear in year 1 that he needed to be better at his job in order to build Nebraska back up.  He is NOT better at his job.  He is in over his head.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, Husker4Real said:

Illinois had two strong drives to open the 2nd half.  That was it.  We can talk about how Frost got schooled in half-time adjustments, yet again, some other time.  

A disciplined Nebraska team should have led anywhere from 10 to 24 points at half.  Instead, they trailed by 7.

4 straight years of Nebraska donating football games to the opponent.

:yeah