PFF Offensive grades vs Buffalo

lo country

It is easy to see the weak link in our offense with this weeks grades.....

AM-Who I thought looked very good despite being  hurried on 14-24 drop backs despite Buffalo only bringing 4-5.......

As witnessed, the running game struggled as well......

If the TE's and other receivers get healthy (Betts becomes an every down guy)we could have something there. At least enough to try and find 4 more wins despite not having an OL....

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/pff-snap-counts-and-grades-for-nebraska-s-offense-vs-buffalo

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess I gotta ask, what the heck else do they want 2AM to do?  I fail to see how he scored so low in this game.

Totally agree. The thing is, if they have an objective grading system and that's just where the data churns out some number to be at for that game, then fine.

But there are really only two playmakers on this offense right now. Martinez is one of them, and Toure is the other. Without Adrian improvising on long runs this offense is stagnant.

I actually feel really positive about this game because Buffalo is a power running team and we didn't let them run on us in our half of the field. We missed three makeable field goals and so the points on the board are not reflective of what our offense really did to move the ball down the field.

But my biggest question is whether Frost needs to come at Michigan State with some different first down plays in the first quarter other than inside handoffs? Those failed plays are putting us behind the sticks early in the game.

• Plus1 1

People have pointed out in a few threads now that AM was "under pressure" on more than 50% of his passes, 14/24.

I've read what PFF considers to be "under pressure," which is defined as "Under pressure passing is any time the quarterback is disturbed from his normal throwing motion from set up to release, or anytime a pressure is registered on a given passing play." Now, I can't seem to find what would be considered average or normal, but based on that definition... I would think it's fairly common when two comparable teams play each other for pressures to be relatively high. It doesn't feel like it's overly common for a team to get away with only 10-20% pressures or something like that, but maybe I'm wrong.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

People have pointed out in a few threads now that AM was "under pressure" on more than 50% of his passes, 14/24.

I've read what PFF considers to be "under pressure," which is defined as "Under pressure passing is any time the quarterback is disturbed from his normal throwing motion from set up to release, or anytime a pressure is registered on a given passing play." Now, I can't seem to find what would be considered average or normal, but based on that definition... I would think it's fairly common when two comparable teams play each other for pressures to be relatively high. It doesn't feel like it's overly common for a team to get away with only 10-20% pressures or something like that, but maybe I'm wrong.

I would agree with you.  That seems like a pretty bogus definition of pressure.  Most pass plays should be gone by 3.5 seconds and anything after that should be defined as good coverage, or bad QB reads.  I don’t feel the line should be punished for good coverage in the defensive backfield or the QB holding the ball too long.  
And I’m not saying AM held the ball too long in the Buffalo game like he did at Illinois.   

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I would agree with you.  That seems like a pretty bogus definition of pressure.  Most pass plays should be gone by 3.5 seconds and anything after that should be defined as good coverage, or bad QB reads.  I don’t feel the line should be punished for good coverage in the defensive backfield or the QB holding the ball too long.  
And I’m not saying AM held the ball too long in the Buffalo game like he did at Illinois.   

Agreed, and that was effectively going to be my next point.

I'm by no means an offensive line expert, but to the eye test, I thought the pass protection went fairly well last weekend. Not great, but saying they got pressured more than 50% of the time paints a bit of an ugly image in my head.

It seemed like AM had a decent pocket on most of his throws. But based on PFF's definition, it seems like all pressures are created equal. Like... an ILB coming unhindered up the middle would be the same as an edge rusher who gets bumped off course but forces the quarterback to step up into the pocket to make the throw. I don't know. I guess I need a better understanding of what constitutes a "pressure."

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Agreed, and that was effectively going to be my next point.

I'm by no means an offensive line expert, but to the eye test, I thought the pass protection went fairly well last weekend. Not great, but saying they got pressured more than 50% of the time paints a bit of an ugly image in my head.

It seemed like AM had a decent pocket on most of his throws. But based on PFF's definition, it seems like all pressures are created equal. Like... an ILB coming unhindered up the middle would be the same as an edge rusher who gets bumped off course but forces the quarterback to step up into the pocket to make the throw. I don't know. I guess I need a better understanding of what constitutes a "pressure."

So one other thing to think about with also is blitz reads with AM or the play having a hot read.  I do remember a handful of plays where Buffalo brought both linebackers up the middle, and got immediate pressure.  
Back many moons ago when I played QB on college, we normally had a hit read for each potential blitzing defender.  Both the QB and the receiver had to recognize it, but essentially the receiver goes straight to the area vacated by the blitzer if more people are brought than we have blockers for.  I thought that blitz presented a great opportunity to hit a quick pop over the middle and that pressure may have been more on a potential QB misread than the Oline 

• Plus1 1