Frost Stays

Husker03

2 minutes ago, Caveman said:

The persistent penalties, turnovers, special teams blunders, and poor clock management (timeouts after a kickoff) are all red flags. Frost needs to seek guidance from coaches more knowledgeable and/or alter his coaching staff.

Totally agree with this part.

I do think he came in pretty cocky after that 2017 UCF season. I think there were signs that he thought his offensive scheme/playbook was so hot that some of the other portions of the game just wouldn't even matter.

Then he played a couple seasons in the B1G and got his jaw broken.

This'll sound weird but I'll bet I'm in the upper 10th percentile of fans that get torn apart when the skers lose a football game. I am absolutely sick of losing. So it isn't apathy or lowering my standards or any of that that's making me say he should get until the end of 2022 - it's just that offensively & defensively we are really turning around...we just need to clean up special teams & fundamentals.

If Frost gets to that point I think it's then just about getting another really special QB & RB in the mix and we're actually competing for B1G titles. But again...it really is a big "if" on him fixing special teams IMO.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Totally agree with this part.

I do think he came in pretty cocky after that 2017 UCF season. I think there were signs that he thought his offensive scheme/playbook was so hot that some of the other portions of the game just wouldn't even matter.

Then he played a couple seasons in the B1G and got his jaw broken.

This'll sound weird but I'll bet I'm in the upper 10th percentile of fans that get torn apart when the skers lose a football game. I am absolutely sick of losing. So it isn't apathy or lowering my standards or any of that that's making me say he should get until the end of 2022 - it's just that offensively & defensively we are really turning around...we just need to clean up special teams & fundamentals.

If Frost gets to that point I think it's then just about getting another really special QB & RB in the mix and we're actually competing for B1G titles. But again...it really is a big "if" on him fixing special teams IMO.

Good post, I think along with cocky, he came in absolutely pissed off. I’m sure if he could do it over again, he would. I think the team and some coaches quit on Riley, and it was a terrible disaster of a year, but I think some of that got exaggerated. As an alum, hearing from other alums, he came in ready to kick everyone out of the program if that’s what it took. Very easy to understand why, especially hearing from the outside and some from the inside, he was pissed like all of us.

But it probably did him no favors. All good, he’s definitely learning since he got here and things are trending up at least.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

I agree that he deserves more time, I think one more year. What concerns me is the persistent  sloppy play. If he has not been able to fix it by year four, I don’t think he ever will. Our record may improve next year due to superior talent, but I doubt we will ever challenge for division or conference titles, because that requires consistency.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Caveman said:

I agree that he deserves more time, I think one more year. What concerns me is the persistent  sloppy play. If he has not been able to fix it by year four, I don’t think he ever will. Our record may improve next year due to superior talent, but I doubt we will ever challenge for division or conference titles, because that requires consistency.

So, if you believe that he is never going to fix the sloppy play, and you believe he will never challenge for division or conference titles, what is the purpose of giving him more time? What does that accomplish?

• Plus1 3

Barring a complete melt down this year. I agree with Undone. There have been improvements on the offense and defense (more here). Just clean up special teams and the dumb penalties and this could be a really good team.

Remember, some wanted Chin gone last year,. Most wanted him gone prior to that. I still think Frost can be a good coach, just have to be patient.

Others have posted his attitude coming here, and that probably did hamper his coaching. It does appear (albeit slower than we want/like) that he is making improvements. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I mean we do realize after this year we need to replace both safeties, Jojo, Stille, most likely CTB. We will also most likely be breaking in a new QB. Do we expect that team to be better than the one we currently have? 

Well that's akin to admitting the head coach did better with the talent he inherited, and has failed in four years to assemble a roster to match his coaching vision.  So if next year means largely starting from scratch, how exactly will the next cycle be different? 

Maybe expectations for next year are unfair, but the expectation that Nebraska should be better by now isn't. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Ulty said:

So, if you believe that he is never going to fix the sloppy play, and you believe he will never challenge for division or conference titles, what is the purpose of giving him more time? What does that accomplish?

A person’s beliefs do not equal facts, regardless of how passionately they argue on Husker Board. 

4 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I mean we do realize after this year we need to replace both safeties, Jojo, Stille, most likely CTB. We will also most likely be breaking in a new QB. Do we expect that team to be better than the one we currently have? 

We could be worse at several positions and still a better team next year, yeah. At least by wins and losses for sure - if we get special teams and OL even up to average, we can be worse in the secondary and at QB and still a lot better overall.

Now I have no idea how much improvement in those areas we can make, but there's room for a much bigger step up there than the steps down at other positions.  

26 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

We could be worse at several positions and still a better team next year, yeah. At least by wins and losses for sure - if we get special teams and OL even up to average, we can be worse in the secondary and at QB and still a lot better overall.

Now I have no idea how much improvement in those areas we can make, but there's room for a much bigger step up there than the steps down at other positions.  

Same punters, new place kicker....unless we aggressively attack the transfer portal for high level talent I struggle to see how we are better next year. 

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Are you confident in those 3 games? We Should be better, we will? Interested to see how younger players develop this year and if we can get to 6-6. 

Confident that we'll actually win them? No. But I'm positive they're easier than this year's cross-divisional - so at least our chances are higher.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I think Frost is back next year. 

If you take emotions out of it, every part of the team has improved except two. Special teams and the O line. Granted, those two are horrible and making everything else look bad due to losing games. 

I believe Frost has already decided coaching changes are going to be made in those areas….if given the chance. We have talent in both areas. There is no reason  why they shouldn’t be performing better…other than coaching. If he makes changes there, he’ll get more time. 

people talk about how fragile this team is, I actually don’t agree with that. If you look everywhere but these two groups, they are playing at a high level and aren’t fragile. 

This team is going to win more games this year. Who knows which ones because these two groups are so unpredictable. There is a small chance that Frost being more involved with both will get them to improve some soon. 

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I think Frost is back next year. 

If you take emotions out of it, every part of the team has improved except two. Special teams and the O line. Granted, those two are horrible and making everything else look bad due to losing games. 

I believe Frost has already decided coaching changes are going to be made in those areas….if given the chance. We have talent in both areas. There is no reason  why they shouldn’t be performing better…other than coaching. If he makes changes there, he’ll get more time. 

people talk about how fragile this team is, I actually don’t agree with that. If you look everywhere but these two groups, they are playing at a high level and aren’t fragile. 

This team is going to win more games this year. Who knows which ones because these two groups are so unpredictable. There is a small chance that Frost being more involved with both will get them to improve some soon. 

so 4 years in and only 2/3 phases are hamstrung. By year 12 we should be firing on all cylinders :laughpound

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3
On 9/29/2021 at 6:56 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't have any names I would recommend, but to say "who would come here?" is foolish. There are plenty coaches who could come to NU and do a better job that Frost is doing.  That's for Trev to find. IMO, giving Frost "one more year" would delay the inevitable and cost NU a year at improving the football program. The first step in improving the program would be to fire Frost and his entire staff. 

I respectfully disagree:)

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2