Northwestern: What Did We Learn?

Mavric

39 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

It was said earlier but it seems like Frost is aware he is coaching for his football life. I've heard that in the past even though NU was winning at a crazy clip, the perception of Coach Osborne was that he couldn't win the big game, and that people were calling for his head. That's when Coach Osborne really took the next step and won 3 NC's in 4 years. If that story is remotely true, then maybe Frost understanding that his job isn't still safe is the best thing that could happen to the program because it brings the sense of urgency that it has been missing

Yeah well he's definitely safe now the fans got a glimpse of what they have been wanting to see. It's all about doing it consistently now and doing it against better and better teams! I know what a championship caliber team looks like, and against Northwestern we looked like a championship caliber team. First time I can say that for a long time

On 10/2/2021 at 10:03 PM, The Duke said:

This was stupid IMO. Yes rules need to be enforced but he came in overweight, not like he did anything thuggish. Could have sent him and the team a clear message by busting his balls and making him do stadium steps and extra sprints/drills/study-hall. If he could have helped us in games he should have been in there. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I learned my dad made the trip to Lincoln for homecoming.  He ran into fellow Alum Jamel Williams who he coached against in the 90's in Northwest Indiana.  He also sent a short video of he and his teammates reminiscing and sharing stories.  Kinda cool to just see guys in their late 70's shooting the s#!t and telling stories like it was yesterday.

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, Danimal said:

This was stupid IMO. Yes rules need to be enforced but he came in overweight, not like he did anything thuggish. Could have sent him and the team a clear message by busting his balls and making him do stadium steps and extra sprints/drills/study-hall. If he could have helped us in games he should have been in there. 

It’s Frost’s way or the highway. If he said keep up conditioning in the summer and it’s obvious someone didn’t , then they ride the pine. And maybe that’s the right way to set a culture. 

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I'll have to rewatch to be sure, but I remember RJ and not Yant being on the field for the option plays. I think the OL is a MUCH bigger reason for the success of the option (and a lot of other plays) than Yant. Yant looked really good though.

Maybe, maybe not.  It's kind of beside the point, though.  The point is the play action stuff and the option stuff doesn't work as well if the defense doesn't have to worry about the runningback. 

Yant is the only one who has shown me anything at all from the position this year.

3 hours ago, Danimal said:

So, making a player be in proper shape to see the field and having accountability in the program is stupid?  Also, if you think that Yant would be the as good as a running back at 258 as he is at 232, then you might be the stupid one. 

• Plus1 8

6 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

But I mean in the 4th qt of a blowout. Seems lil odd he didn't get one snap

they still had a lot of the 1's and 2's out there on defense into the 4th quarter which I thought was a little weird since the offense had already gone to the 2's.  So considering he is probably like 4th on the depth chart I could see him not getting in.  

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Piper has the measurables but I have never been impressed in his actual play.  My oldest son dominated him in high school while giving up 50 pounds.  It never made sense.  The kid is so capable but he has never seemed to have the internal fire to really be that guy.  Hopefully he gets the coaching he needs to get there.

Do you happen to be from Pierce?

That was the only HS game I watched of Pipers senior year, and Pierce did not let him look like a D1 recruit.

46 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So, making a player be in proper shape to see the field and having accountability in the program is stupid?  Also, if you think that Yant would be the as good as a running back at 258 as he is at 232, then you might be the stupid one. 

Please please please tell me where in my post I advocated he be let off the hook and not be pushed into getting the bad weight off. I'll be waiting with bells on. Hell i even included punishments that fit his crime very aptly and would further him getting the bad weight off. The point was that discipline and positive change could have been brought here without potentially damaging the season.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Danimal said:

Please please please tell me where in my post I advocated he be let off the hook and not be pushed into getting the bad weight off. I'll be waiting with bells on. Hell i even included punishments that fit his crime very aptly and would further him getting the bad weight off. The point was that discipline and positive change could have been brought here without potentially damaging the season.

If this whole situation is what damaged the season, it seems like Yant is the one that damaged it...not the coaches.

• Plus1 4