Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

What is interesting about some of the takes in this forum is that Nebraska had higher recruiting classes than Ole Miss in 2018, 2019, and 2020.  We have just as much if not more talent than Ole Miss but are lacking in coaching acumen.  It's naive of some of these Ole Miss fans to view the record as a reason not to come to Nebraska.

except that's not an Ole Miss board

• Haha 1

Anyone can bounce back, I agree... but at least it gives a more national view of the idea of Kiffin coming to Lincoln. Money talks, I know... but there are some fans here who think that's all that matters. These top-tier coaches want to be in a recruiting hotbed, where they can get guys who can compete with the LSUs and Bamas and Clemsons of the world... and Lincoln is far from that. That's why I still say our best bet is to pursue Chadwell, because he brings a unique offense that not many other big-name schools would be interested in, other than Nebraska.

• Fire 1
58 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

If I was Kiffin I'd rather be at NU than LSU. Look at the level of expectation and also your path to the playoffs. Kiffin would bring in top 15-20 classes and out talent the B1G West. 

Agreed. I’m becoming more in the Kiffin camp.  We need a guy wt instant name recognition who has a system and able to draw in recruits.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Agreed. I’m becoming more in the Kiffin camp.  We need a guy wt instant name recognition who has a system and able to draw in recruits.  

I used to have that same mindset. Go after a big name with a proven track record: Bob Stoops, Chris Petersen, even Kiffin. Make them say no. I just think that's exactly what they'd all do. Then again, I'm certainly no expert. Maybe Kiffin would come here. Maybe Petersen would come out of retirement if we offered enough. Who really knows?

What I DON'T want to see is us settling for a lesser coach, like Riley, because no one else was interested. 

• Plus1 1
On 10/17/2021 at 6:01 AM, Danimal said:

Guys I don't see taking the job but could always go through channels to gauge interest:

Fickell

Urban(sketch but if you want the best chance to win he's your guy)

Stoops

Peterson

Campbell(most likely of the group, depends on how he's feeling about the 12 shake-up)

Solid guys I could see taking the job:

Dave Clawson 

Hugh Freeze(has a past, we're probably too uptight to take him)

Jamey Chadwell. 

Bill O'Brien

Jeff Hafley

Bronco Mendenhall

Dave Aranda(probably the toughest get of this group)

Haven't put any research into it but my faves off the top of my head would be Chadwell, Clawson, and O'Brien. 

From Frost to Freeze, i mean seems like at least movement.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Another interesting take. Mentions Kalen Deboer (Fresno State coach) as a potential replacement. I gotta admit, that's an intriguing name:

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=99296946&s=2&p=99296946#99296946

It's funny seeing some of the comments posted especially the reference to the 1970s.  These guys really do not know their history well nor have they ever likely stepped foot in Lincoln. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Kiffin, who is under contract through 2024, is set to make $4.5 million in 2021 with a retention bonus of $500,000 if he is still Ole Miss' coach on Dec. 31. He will then make $5.25 million in 2022, $5.5 million in 2023 and $5.75 million in 2024. 

How much would we have to offer to even get him to look at us? 

If these numbers are correct Kiffin ain't happening.

That's fine, there are other good coaches who I'd be equally or more excited for.

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

If these numbers are correct Kiffin ain't happening.

That's fine, there are other good coaches who I'd be equally or more excited for.

You are probably right if those are his salary numbers.  One thing to consider however is the easier path to a conf championship and playoff could be found at Nebraska. It isn’t always about the money 

• Fire 1
19 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

You are probably right if those are his salary numbers.  One thing to consider however is the easier path to a conf championship and playoff could be found at Nebraska. It isn’t always about the money 

With our recruiting disadvantages, it's gonna take a lot to make a guy leave a job in the South in the middle of a reciting hotbed. 

Fans want the option to return? Then Chadwell is the guy.

• Fire 1
  • Enhance locked and unlocked this topic