Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

19 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

If I was Kiffin I'd rather be at NU than LSU. Look at the level of expectation and also your path to the playoffs. Kiffin would bring in top 15-20 classes and out talent the B1G West. 

But if you’re Kiffin would you rather be at Nebraska or Ole Miss….

2 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I don't think looking for a proven p5 coach is necessary or realistic. There are way more examples of hiring lower level head coaches or coordinators. You just have to get lucky and pick the right one. That being said I would take Aranda and/or his OC. 

Aranda is another guy who will be able to pick and choose where he wants to go. He's on LSU's short list. I think some people overrate Nebraska as a coaching destination. It doesn't carry the prominence it once did.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Well he's a Nebraska fan. Is it easier to beat the B1G West or SEC West? 

No offense but people would think Kiffin is crazy if he leaves Ole Miss for Nebraska. 

Don't get me wrong: I'd love a coach like Kiffin, or Campbell, or Aranda, or Fickell, or Stoops. I just think the chances of that happening are extremely unlikely. Our best chances are with: A) a young up-and-comer like Chadwell who's looking to take a the next step; or B) a guy trying to rebound from a failed first attempt, like Tom Herman.

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Why? He was born in Lincoln and would have a MUCH easier chance of winning the BIG West than the SEC West. 

Premier coaches aren't looking for an easier way. They have bigger aspirations. He wants to be the king of the SEC, whether it be at Ole Miss, LSU, or Alabama (because he's currently on LSU's short list, not to mention he'll be on Bama's short list when Saban retires). He was born here but he really has no other connection.

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Aranda is another guy who will be able to pick and choose where he wants to go. He's on LSU's short list. I think some people overrate Nebraska as a coaching destination. It doesn't carry the prominence it once did.

Oh yeah I agree it would be a huge coup to be able to get him. I think realistically we go out and find a rising young coordinator or we get someone like Gus Malzahn to take us back to a solid contender then go get someone more risky next hire with a better base to build on. 

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Premier coaches aren't looking for an easier way. They have bigger aspirations. He wants to be the king of the SEC, whether it be at Ole Miss, LSU, or Alabama (because he's currently on LSU's short list, not to mention he'll be on Bama's short list when Saban retires). He was born here but he really has no other connection.

He is never going to make it to a CFP at Ole Miss. Now I do think he could try for LSU but I am not sure if that is who LSU will want as their first option.  

As for premier coaches, I would think they would want to make it to the CFP every year and win a title every few years.  Being in the SEC West will continue to be a tougher route to achieve that goal.  

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

I do think he could try for LSU but I am not sure if that is who LSU will want as their first option.  

I live in Baton Rouge, and I can tell you firsthand that he's currently on LSU's short list. As a poster pointed out, why would Kiffin go to NU when he turned down Fayetteville where he actually spent school time at?

3 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Oh yeah I agree it would be a huge coup to be able to get him. I think realistically we go out and find a rising young coordinator or we get someone like Gus Malzahn to take us back to a solid contender then go get someone more risky next hire with a better base to build on. 

Yeah -  Gus Malzahn, Hugh Freeze, Tom Herman... guys who are trying to bounce back.

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Exhibit A (gives you a perspective from a national perspective, without the scarlet and cream glasses):

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/more-sports/nebraska-targeting-lane-kiffin/99014451/

What is interesting about some of the takes in this forum is that Nebraska had higher recruiting classes than Ole Miss in 2018, 2019, and 2020.  We have just as much if not more talent than Ole Miss but are lacking in coaching acumen.  It's naive of some of these Ole Miss fans to view the record as a reason not to come to Nebraska.

• Enhance locked and unlocked this topic