What did we learn from the Purdue game

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just three hours ago, Adrian Martinez had thrown for a TD and run for a TD to give Nebraska a first half lead, and there was a plausible narrative about Adrian coming back for a fifth season to get the redemption he deserved.

Funny how times change. 

No, it’s funny how we all continue to watch the same movie.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just three hours ago, Adrian Martinez had thrown for a TD and run for a TD to give Nebraska a first half lead, and there was a plausible narrative about Adrian coming back for a fifth season to get the redemption he deserved.

Funny how times change. 

If Frost is kept, I could see Adrian coming back. I could also see him transferring to Minny and beating us. Or going to the Pac 12.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

Martinez IS THE problem. Period

Not even close. If the coaches never found a better QB, or left one sitting on the bench, that's on the coaches. 

Defense has definitely improved, but they still have a knack for making average QBs look like total studs. If it was Purdue needing a fourth quarter drive to take the win, I wouldn't have bet against them. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Funny how times change. 

Oof.

At no part today did anything change my mind about AM needing to be gone after this year. The only thing that changed is now I firmly believe Frost needs to go with him.

Thinking about the lack of accountability for AM's mistakes when anyone else gets benched after a mistake kills the entire teams morale.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Funny how times change. 

For the announcer maybe.  That is why they play 60 minutes.  3 of his 4 interceptions were awful.  The pick 6 killed an opportunity to go up double digits and take control of the game.  He missed a wide open TD at the end of the half and also didn't fight for an extra half yard for a 1st down.  Martinez lost Nebraska the game.  He should have been benched. Other players have been pulled for much less.  We don't need to see a 5th year.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

Nebraska fans are loyal, but they're not stupid. I think a slim majority would still say they don't want Frost fired — give him another year at least.

But if Trev Alberts fired Frost tomorrow, and the interim coach said he was benching Martinez and letting the back-ups show what they've got, you'll have more fired up fans at Memorial Stadium than you will doing nothing. 

• Plus1 5

I had two thoughts when Frost was hired. 1. Great, he's the obvious choice. 2. OMG, what if he doesn't work out? His casual dress and general demeanor can be fine if he is winning but four years of sloppy, careless play makes him a candidate to be UN's next fired millionaire. 

We kept thinking he would get better and he kept thinking Martinez would too. Wrong on both counts. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nebraska fans are loyal, but they're not stupid. I think a slim majority would still say they don't want Frost fired — give him another year at least.

But if Trev Alberts fired Frost tomorrow, and the interim coach said he was benching Martinez and letting the back-ups show what they've got, you'll have more fired up fans at Memorial Stadium than you will doing nothing. 

Lets do this

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

For the announcer maybe.  That is why they play 60 minutes.  3 of his 4 interceptions were awful.  The pick 6 killed an opportunity to go up double digits and take control of the game.  He missed a wide open TD at the end of the half and also didn't fight for an extra half yard for a 1st down.  Martinez lost Nebraska the game.  He should have been benched. Other players have been pulled for much less.  We don't need to see a 5th year.

Well....yeah. That was my point.

As late as the Northwestern game I could have bought into fifth year Martinez simply because we had no QB in the wings.

Now I'm interested in watching any other QB finish the season, just out of curiosity. 

The one thing I'm always surprised that people have failed to mention over the past 4 years -- Martinez's inability to run the tempo offense that Frost had at UCF.

I'm sure some may think it's Frost just changing philosophies over the years, but that would be a huge overhaul to one of the things that made his offense so prolific at UCF. Even more, if you remember back to last year with McCaffrey at the helm, we were running tempo more in just that small sample size than we ever had with Martinez under center.

It's another in a long line of things that makes Frost unwillingness to go get another QB inexcusable, if for nothing else just push Martinez at job.

• Crusader Husker changed the title to What did we learn from the Purdue game