What did we learn from the Purdue game

9 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

made that mistake with Solich. IMO you gotta have the coach lined up and confirmed before you fire. Kinda like you don’t divorce your wife until you’re certain your mistress is 100% on board with you.  

The difference between the 2 situations is that Solich had a winning record in 2003, so Pedersen had to make sure there was someone better. Frost has one of the WORST records in NU coaching history. Literally, almost any coach in America world be better than him. First step is to fire the underperforming head coach. You don't stay with your wife if she's a raging b!^@h, gained 50 pounds, and won't have sex with you. You divorce her and try to survive on your own. 

• Plus1 1

20 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'll wager the most precious thing I have: my pride.

On the one hand, I think Adrian will be incredibly determined to play one more year of college -- because I absolutely guarantee no NFL team want's him right now, not even for training camp. There are a lot of college teams and Adrian will have a big P5 stat sheet, so you definitely have a chance to win the bet.

But everything Kelly Stouffer was saying today has been said by every other coach watching Adrian Martinez's game. The position is about decision-making, and I don't see a coach thinking one year of Adrian Martinez takes him over the top. And if he's not a transitional veteran, he's just keeping your next starter off the field. 

If you're talking about a stint with the Omaha Beef in a league not yet invented, sure. Why not. 

Yes, I can see Adrian leading the Omaha Beef in an old arena. At this point I think Masker is the best QB option we have, but there's no telling if he knows many of the plays....probably not, judging by the preparations we've seen. The freshmen still appear nervous and not ready to take over.

• Plus1 1

I learned that despite the continued poor results, some will still hold firm to the notion that we are close.  We most certainly are not.  Turnovers, penalties and errors in execution remain our bain in these games.

It is hard to believe that Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue are the teams holding us back, but the results speak for themselves.

With Wisconsin returning to form recently, it is hard to imagine any other scenario except an 0-3 finish.

The clock is officially ticking on the end of this staff's time in Lincoln...

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

In the Minnesota game, we had a 48%/52% run/pass ratio. We ran for 4.38 yards per carry.

Against Purdue, we had a 50/50 ratio. We ran for 4.48 yards per carry.

So why the hell didn't Frost just run the ball more? Those YPC stats are just fine. Why is he asking Martinez to drop back to pass so much in the first place? Doesn't make sense. I can't find any defense of that. We had the lead at halftime after all...

Just so stupid.

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I learned that despite the continued poor results, some will still hold firm to the notion that we are close.  We most certainly are not.  Turnovers, penalties and errors in execution remain our bain in these games.

It is hard to believe that Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue are the teams holding us back, but the results speak for themselves.

With Wisconsin returning to form recently, it is hard to imagine any other scenario except an 0-3 finish.

The clock is officially ticking on the end of this staff's time in Lincoln...

All true, but could you make the arguments that a different QB could solve the turnover woes and a different O line coach, among other things, could solve most of the penalty problem?  Add a good special teams coach and maybe things turn for the better in ‘22.  A lot of coulds and maybes, but there’s always hope.  I’m just not ready for the silly season coaching carousel again. 

1 minute ago, Undone said:

In the Minnesota game, we had a 48%/52% run/pass ratio. We ran for 4.38 yards per carry.

Against Purdue, we had a 50/50 ratio. We ran for 4.48 yards per carry.

So why the hell didn't Frost just run the ball more? Those YPC stats are just fine. Why is he asking Martinez to drop back to pass so much in the first place? Doesn't make sense. I can't find any defense of that. We had the lead at halftime after all...

Just so stupid.

I thought the worst play call of the game was that "trick play" on 2nd and 1 where Frost tried to catch Purdue with a quick snap.  Corcoran gave up the sack, and then it led to a 3 and out.  NU had the lead, just ripped off a very good run on 1st down, and Frost got cute with his play call.  I understand 2nd and short is a good opportunity to try a deep shot, but early in the drive, and in your own territory, it's better to get a first down, keep possession of the ball, get your D some rest, and get some rhythm offensively.  Frost has no trust in his own offense, so that's why he can't help trying for the big play.  I am all for the big play, but it has to come from within the flow of the offense.  Frost tries to "force" the big play.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU had the lead, just ripped off a very good run on 1st down, and Frost got cute with his play call.  I understand 2nd and short is a good opportunity to try a deep shot, but early in the drive, and in your own territory, it's better to get a first down, keep possession of the ball, get your D some rest, and get some rhythm offensively.

Totally agree with this - especially the bold. We did this in the second half against Michigan State with those tactics and had them right where we wanted them until the stupid punt play.

This is the part that's really interesting to dissect:

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost has no trust in his own offense, so that's why he can't help trying for the big play.

When Teddy Pro went down it's like Scott stopped wanting to run. Our right tackle spot is struggling immensely.

But I also think Scott is a bit of an overthinker, kind of like Bo was in critical situations also. The "Keep It Simple, Stupid" mantra doesn't seem to exist in his headspace right now and that is very worrying.

Small sample size of carries at only 6...but Yant had 60 yards on 6 carries. Guy is a f****** house of a body who even has some speed - feed him the damn ball. I just hate losing this way when trying something different (running it a bit more) is right there in front of our face. Really dumb.

Martinez shouldn't have even been dropping back to pass on some of those INTs, that's what's so stupid.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Undone said:

Small sample size of carries at only 6...but Yant had 60 yards on 6 carries. Guy is a f****** house of a body who even has some speed - feed him the damn ball. I just hate losing this way when trying something different (running it a bit more) is right there in front of our face. Really dumb.

I thought Rahmir and Yant were both running well in the first half, and Frost went away from the run game way too quickly.  He let's one negative carry stick in his mind too much and is too hesitant to go back to the RB run game.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

All true, but could you make the arguments that a different QB could solve the turnover woes and a different O line coach, among other things, could solve most of the penalty problem?  Add a good special teams coach and maybe things turn for the better in ‘22.  A lot of coulds and maybes, but there’s always hope.  I’m just not ready for the silly season coaching carousel again. 

For many reasons, including avoidance of the coaching carousel, we all wanted Coach Frost to succeed.  I think the matter just boils down to lack of measurable results.  The number of close losses may indicate progress on the surface, but the analysis of each of those losses reveals a variety of problems.  This leads me to believe that the problems are strategic and not tactical in nature.

Accordingly, removing a position coach or altering field personnel will not ultimately change the overall result. 

• Crusader Husker changed the title to What did we learn from the Purdue game