What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

So how does this work  :   We have guys on scholarship that will have difficult conversations wt HCSF after spring training.  Scott or the university  can't revoke a scholarship as I understand it - therefore how does he pressure guys off of the team (dead weight non contributors) so that contributors can join from the portal and get the scholarship level to the right #?? 

29 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Why does he need to? He's not on scholarship so who cares

Is he not on scholarship?  Both the Rivals and OWH scholarship charts show him.  According to his bio, he's been on scholarship since prior to the 2020 season.

If he goes back to a walk-on then great.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

So how does this work  :   We have guys on scholarship that will have difficult conversations wt HCSF after spring training.  Scott or the university  can't revoke a scholarship as I understand it - therefore how does he pressure guys off of the team (dead weight non contributors) so that contributors can join from the portal and get the scholarship level to the right #?? 

I would assume the same way it has been since Devaney.  Call the kid into the office.  Tell him that he is probably not going to play, then ask if there is a school they could contact for him.  but now its probably easier.  "hey Jimmy we're gonna need you to put your name in the portal".

7 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I would assume the same way it has been since Devaney.  Call the kid into the office.  Tell him that he is probably not going to play, then ask if there is a school they could contact for him.  but now its probably easier.  "hey Jimmy we're gonna need you to put your name in the portal".

and if the player says "I'm ok - I'll sit on the bench and keep my scholarship"  Seems the univ has a contract they have to honor.

I see the way forward as to simply recruit to a position 9-10 guys for really 6-7 spots and show the weakest that to stay is to not play.  The player now has the right to move into the portal at everyone else's expense.  Thus, the only way to balance it is to make sure you have plenty of depth and push the weak player out.  If you have recruited the kids who really want to play, then they won't put up with it and will move on [at least that is the hope].  Thus, we have to almost "over-recruit" a position of need until it finally balances with the right kids.

26 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

and if the player says "I'm ok - I'll sit on the bench and keep my scholarship"  Seems the univ has a contract they have to honor.

And rightfully so.  As long as the players are ‘at will’ employees but have guaranteed scholarships per Big Ten rules, it’s how things are to be.  You better choose wisely. Don’t gamble or guess.  I think Frost has tried but Covid visit and in person restrictions have hurt.  They’ve missed on quite a few but I’m guessing not that many more than other desperate programs that need major talent and experience rebuilds. 
i just wish Frost could have given more guys longer to grow up and mature.  Players want to play before they are ready.  This ultimately hurts both the team and the players themselves.  Patience is a virtue and as they say - good things come to those who wait!   Work to get better - then play your best and the end will be what was always wanted.  We have a ‘fast food now’ - immediate gratification- society.  Somehow, people need to realize that long term goals and dreams don’t happen by short cuts and skipping over the hard work over time process. 

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The Big Ten had good intentions when they put in the guaranteed 4 year scholarship rule.  However, it sure seems like it's the wrong thing to have with the development of the portal and NIL. I believe the rule should go away.

I mean if a kid is doing everything right but just isn't quite good enough I don't have a problem with the rule.  He didn't offer himself a scholarship.  But if its me and a coach tells me I'm never going to play I'm not sticking around.  Why would you stay were you know you obviously aren't wanted?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Is he not on scholarship?  Both the Rivals and OWH scholarship charts show him.  According to his bio, he's been on scholarship since prior to the 2020 season.

If he goes back to a walk-on then great.

Jackson was on a yearly scholarship, coaches could choose not to renew it - which would probably be fine given NIL opportunities and the GI Bill that he could take advantage of (per the guys at Rivals).

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I mean if a kid is doing everything right but just isn't quite good enough I don't have a problem with the rule.  He didn't offer himself a scholarship.  But if its me and a coach tells me I'm never going to play I'm not sticking around.  Why would you stay were you know you obviously aren't wanted?

What if you’re an O lineman at Texas getting $50,000 per year?  If you’re not contributing, should there be a rule that the school is required to honor your scholarship even though you are not doing enough to get on the field?

You’re contributing in practice, but are you contributing to the success of the program?

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What if you’re an O lineman at Texas getting $50,000 per year?  If you’re not contributing, should there be a rule that the school is required to honor your scholarship even though you are not doing enough to get on the field?

You’re contributing in practice, but are you contributing to the success of the program?

If I'm on the scout team and giving the starters a good look... yes.