Other Crappy Teams

Just now, teachercd said:

Total love boners for that guy!

Don't get me wrong, guys done some solid work at iowa state, a place not synonymous with powerhouse or winning.. but when u zoom out- u see a coach who's slightly above .500, made his name on some upsets no one saw coming yet loses to teams he shouldnt all the while working with limited resources compared to his peers..... sounds an awful lot like a prime Mike riley in his 40s! ;)

2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Don't get me wrong, guys done some solid work at iowa state, a place not synonymous with powerhouse or winning.. but when u zoom out- u see a coach who's slightly above .500, made his name on some upsets no one saw coming yet loses to teams he shouldnt all the while working with limited resources compared to his peers..... sounds an awful lot like a prime Mike riley in his 40s! ;)

Dude is living off beating OU like 4 seasons ago.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

19 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

ISU wasn't too far off KU when he took over. He's won as many conf games in 5+ years as ISU had won in the previous 14 years prior to him coming. I've never once advocated for Nebraska to hire him, but he's earned plenty of respect. 

I keep hearing the argument that Nebraska has lost its college football edge, a cold-weather destination with a recruiting disadvantage and over-inflated fan expectations based on past performance. 

But California and Florida have 60 million people, multiple college football legacies, every recruiting advantage you'd want, and zero teams in the Top 25.

Texas does have four teams in the Top 25, but UTSA outranks every Texas team in the Big 12.  And yeah, at the moment Texas is even more embarrassed than Nebraska.

Just saying Nebraska is not being too impatient, too demanding, or too unwilling to admit college football has passed us by. We're in the same mix as a lot of our peers, and may be just as close to a breakout year as most of them. 

• Plus1 2
45 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just saying Nebraska is not being too impatient, too demanding, or too unwilling to admit college football has passed us by. We're in the same mix as a lot of our peers, and may be just as close to a breakout year as most of them.

And let it be next year.   When Frost came here, I had penciled 2022 as our breakout year.  I didn't know it would be so hard to get there.  I hope it happens. With the right hire of offensive coaches and our Defense remaining strong, it would have the potential to be a breakout year.  But the jury is out until we play the games. 

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

ISU had their best team ever, started in the top 10 and were a darkhorse to make the playoffs.  

They currently have 4 losses with two more on the way.  Basically could be a historic collapse for a team that started where they did.

It is not like they lost to powerhouses either.

Ok, but they aren't USC or Texas or Florida State either, regardless of where their one "supposed to be great" season ends up...

Let's face it, we would have been pretty upbeat if we'd had Indiana's 2018, 2019, and 2020 seasons under Tom Allen. Definitely felt like the program was building towards something. Now they're at the bottom of the Big10, looking up at Nebraska. 

Consistency is a b!^@h. 

Difference is, Indiana and Iowa State are familiar with the bottom. I'd like to get out of there quickly, before we get too comfortable. 

Now you'd never call #8 Michigan a crappy team, but if Jim Harbaugh loses to Michigan State and Ohio State this year, his homeboy splash hire will be considered a failure by most of the Michigan faithful.

On 11/15/2021 at 7:34 PM, TGHusker said:

So maybe we could get a trophy for the best crappy team:dunno

The old saying “Blowing out someone’s candle doesn’t make yours burn any brighter “ applies here. Yes we are one of many but it still isn’t a crowd I want to run with  

I joked after the Ohio State game we were the best 3-win team in the nation.   But in honesty if we were in a tournament against other 3-win teams I can't help but think we'd find a way to not win that tournament. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1