Perspective

19 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Whether or not it was a good/bad hire at the time is irrelevant to my position on AD's listening/taking advice from the fan base on coaching hires.

It's pretty disingenuous to paint Frost as a "fan base" hire four years after the fact.

Frost was the biggest up and comer coach for hire four years ago. His resumé and track record were being lauded by just about every analyst and person with an opinion out there. Tennessee and Florida were reportedly among the colleges interested in hiring him. And regardless of circumstance, he went undefeated and beat Auburn at a non-P5 program.

So, hell yeah the fan base wanted him. And Frost probably only came here because of his connections and history, but Moos didn't just get a "fan base" hire. He got arguably the biggest name in the coaching candidate pool at the time.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It's pretty disingenuous to paint Frost as a "fan base" hire four years after the fact.

How is it disingenuous? It's exactly what happened and people admit it.

I believe I pointed out back then that the AD shouldn't be listening to the fans desires and was told by multiple people right here on this board that they deserved to get what they wanted because they bought tickets and Husker gear.

24 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I'm not sure where we disagree or if we even do....

The only disagreement seems to be on the hiring of Frost in 2018.  Why did you feel he wasn't a good hire?

edit: good hire "AT THE TIME"

He had zero HC experience at a Power 5 school.

*Edit* I'll add that I considered him a "Home Town hire" which imo is why most fans wanted Frost. He was a home town hero that won a NC.

• Upvote 1
Just now, knapplc said:

So now we're trying to rewrite history and claim Frost wasn't considered by EVERYONE from fans to press to other coaches as a "home run hire" for Nebraska?

Wow.

I didn't consider him a home run hire, I considered him a "Home town boy hire" and still do.

Some of you paint with a very broad brush.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

He had zero HC experience at a Power 5 school.

Fair enough.

I honestly don't remember which retreads were available that year.  Anyone notable?  

Dan Mullen, I guess...

Maybe Moos should have listened to the "quiet" fan base that knew better. Oh well...

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Fair enough.

I honestly don't remember which retreads were available that year.  Anyone notable?  

Dan Mullen, I guess...

Maybe Moos should have listened to the "quiet" fan base that knew better. Oh well...

Imo, he shouldn't have listened to the fan base at all, not a single one of us. It's HIS job to decide who to hire, it's one of the things he gets paid for.

I'll say that it's OUR job as fans to speculate, even wildly, about who the AD will pick and why. That's part of the fun of being fans.

1 minute ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Imo, he shouldn't have listened to the fan base at all, not a single one of us. It's HIS job to decide who to hire, it's one of the things he gets paid for.

I put an edit into the post you quoted.

I guess what I'm saying is:

Did Moos hire Frost because fans were vocal and he just wanted them happy?

Or did Moos hire Frost because he was a dream candidate that was a perfect fit for UNL that fans were 99% on board with?

2 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I put an edit into the post you quoted.

I'll say that it's OUR job as fans to speculate, even wildly, about who the AD will pick and why. That's part of the fun of being fans.

Did he listen to the fan base?  Or just hire the guy everyone -1 wanted?  These two things are not necessarily the same.

• Plus1 1