Betts

Would’ve loved to see what Zavier could’ve accomplished! Perhaps the sport didn’t mesh well with his priorities. I’ll take him at his word. It’s not for everyone. While there’s the timing issue, I admire his efforts to return and give it a shot. If his heart’s just not in it, he should be doing what is. All the best to him. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Uhm....when a Husker insider tweets about "a young man's life" and "prayers and support" I get the feeling this is a little bigger than "my heart's not into it." 

There are lots of stories of extremely talented young athletes who couldn't handle the pressure and attention that came with their talents. Just hope there's not an underlying issue for the guy. 

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, Mavric said:

You have to give it a minute to resolve before you click submit.  You also may have to paste as plain text depending on how/where you copied the link.

I have done it for years. Now all of a sudden I can’t. 

2 hours ago, Toe said:

The board software will probably need to be updated to support x.com links like the one BRB posted.

But, I wonder why he can and I can’t. 

• Plus1 1

I wish Betts the best in the future.  regardless for his reason in leaving.  If it was health related, great call.  If it was his "heart wasn't in it", great call.  I'd rather have him step up now than half a$$ through the season not giving it 100% and taking away reps from guys who are 100% N.  It's a full time job at the collegiate level.  Too much work if it's not really your passion.  

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 4
12 hours ago, funhusker said:

Why?

My guess, if you are right that we hear more bad than good, is because the Husker media is going to write up stories about him every time he gets a speeding ticket or is seen working in a retail store.  He won't get credit for getting married and raising a family.  He won't get credit for getting to work everyday.  He won't get credit for helping his neighbor carry a couch.  We will never hear about the pick up basketball he plays with the kids at the park.  Or the times he drove safely and even wore his seat belt.  Forget about the salad he ate instead of McDonalds...

Odds overwhelmingly say, he will be just fine.  Especially if he's planning to stay and finish school.

That's a big if, there was questions whether he would even qualifying the first time.  I hope he stays in school, but my gut is says he won't.  

• TBH 1

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

This is a really, really good answer by McGuire.

This was a VERY CLEVER way to frame "I don't want to talk about what might have led up to Zavier Betts  leaving the program."

What if something or someone within the program did something that affected him and helped lead to his "loss of heart"?

I'm probably not the first person to think of this, but what if our staff found out that he had violated sports betting rules? Rather than throw him under the bus and turn an NCAA spotlight on the whole Nebraska program, wouldn't it be better to just part ways with him?

I'm just saying that, with all of the curiosity in the State about ANY NUGGET of news related to the program, it is pretty hard to stop people from asking questions. Framing it with the noble "I want to talk about the guys in the room NOW. I think they deserve it" is JEDI LEVEL deflection. Whoever came up with that line and fed it to Garrett McGuire: I tip my cap to you.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
  • TBH 1
27 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

This was a VERY CLEVER way to frame "I don't want to talk about what might have led up to Zavier Betts  leaving the program."

What if something or someone within the program did something that affected him and helped lead to his "loss of heart"?

I'm probably not the first person to think of this, but what if our staff found out that he had violated sports betting rules? Rather than throw him under the bus and turn an NCAA spotlight on the whole Nebraska program, wouldn't it be better to just part ways with him?

I'm just saying that, with all of the curiosity in the State about ANY NUGGET of news related to the program, it is pretty hard to stop people from asking questions. Framing it with the noble "I want to talk about the guys in the room NOW. I think they deserve it" is JEDI LEVEL deflection. Whoever came up with that line and fed it to Garrett McGuire: I tip my cap to you.

He barely made it to campus the first go around and then he quit last year.  Came back and quit again.  I don't think the program had anything to do with where his heart is. 

• TBH 2
28 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

He barely made it to campus the first go around and then he quit last year.  Came back and quit again.  I don't think the program had anything to do with where his heart is. 

You are quite possibly right. But shooting down any questions about him/his departure RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE makes me a little more suspicious. If I were a JOURNALIST, I would not let that line stop me from asking more questions. With all due respect to all the WRs still on the team, what could lead a guy who successfully took 21 credit hours (12 is being a Full Time Student) in order to get back on the team and HAD to figure big in the team's offensive plans suddenly feel that his "heart wasn't in it"?

I want to also say that the guy who asked the question did it with VERY BAD form:
People seem to have already forgotten that Garrett's FIRST words in answer to the question were "Ummm, not.. not really" (before launching into the "with all due respect...").
So what was he answering "not really" to?

Here was the full question: "Did Zavier's situation take you by surprise & what was your reaction... did you see it coming?"
If the answer to "Did Zavier's situation take you by surprise?" is "not really" then we want to know why it didn't take you by surprise.

If the answer to "did you see it coming?" Is "not really" then the follow up question should be: You mean to tell me that a position coach can't tell by performance or demeanor that a player's heart just isn't into it? Did you notice a drop off in his practice performance or demeanor in RECENT days?

Do you see what I'm saying? Everyone got so taken by the quality of the misdirection that you immediately stopped your brains and said "YEAH! Let's be fair to the guys who are still here and talk about THEM". Great. I can see fans getting misdirected. Mission Accomplished. If it stops Real Journalists from asking further questions? Then Mission SUPER Accomplished.