It's Already Started - Let's Assist Trev & The University

9 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Over the next two weeks we'll look decent against crappy competition and the fans will be given a false sense of hope... then OU will come to town and it'll be another disappointing loss and the "fire Frost" talk will start again. Trev tried to give Scott the benefit of the doubt by forcing his hand and telling him that changes had to be made. He was hoping that the coordinators were the problem, not Scott himself. He was wrong.

yeah I think this gives an interesting scenario where Trev has some options. 

If frost pulls out a miracle against ou and we go on a run, awesome!! Let's keep going forward with what we have.

If ou blows the doors off of memorial stadium and we start piling losses, he can fire frost mid season. Then he can let whipple or whoever he thinks would be best fit for hc run the show. 

i think many of us feel like it's frost holding the team back. We would be able to verify this on the field. 

If that interim doesn't work out, I'm sure trev will be looking for someone else anyways. 

As long as trev fires frost mid year if it's needed, will have clear cut answers 

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m not sure how else to state it.

I agree with the decision Trev made.  I think he did what he had to do.  I also think he’s the guy that will select a winner.

That's fine.  We just shouldn't pretend it was something he "had to do" when any competent AD would have fired a proven loser and brought in a new guy at the perfect time.

We wouldn't be making these preposterous justifications if it was any coach other than Frost, or any AD other than Trev.

I'm as nostalgic about the Osborne era as anyone, but just because a guy played for Osborne doesn't mean they're the genius Osborne is.  That much should be clear at this point.

• Plus1 1

You hire assistant coaches and you let them do their jobs. Since Frost made the call for the onside kick, that tells me all I need to know. He is a control freak. I have been 100% behind him until yesterday.  You hire a ST coach to avoid crap like that. Sorry, he has to go. 

• Plus1 4
14 hours ago, runningblind said:

We have to hope he did know Frost was the problem, but he was appeasing boosters and admin by keeping him.  If he truly didn't know Frost was the problem, and he gets to hire the next guy, we are screwed. 

In my opinion, there are two options: 1) be willing to shell out top dollar (similar to what guys like Saban, Chip Kelly, Dabo, Day make) for a top coach; or 2) hire a guy like Chadwell or Calhoun who runs an option-style offense, making the Nebraska brand unique again. 

There is no 3rd option where you just hire some middle-of-the-road guy for a cheap price and hope it works out. 

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, Terrabus said:

That's not my argument at all.

My argument is if a coach coming off a national championship can't make it work after five seasons then maybe it's not the coach and maybe there's something wrong with the school.  Maybe there's something about the program.

First of all, he did not win a national championship, that's just silly.  Second,  he had one great season in a conference that plays no defense, and allows you to recover from questionable decisions like that on side kick because of extra possessions.  The big ten is the complete opposite of the AAC. Defense everywhere,  few possessions and a poor decision like that costs you the win.  He also had a vastly superior talent advantage to his opponents that year, outside of Auburn.  It was lightning in a bottle.  Frost has shown who he is, a losing HC. He isn't some awesome proven commodity based on one year where the stars aligned, he's got 5 losing seasons in 6 years as coach.  That's who he is.  Saying "a national championship coach can't win here!" is disingenuous.  A lot of people could be solid here, if they embrace what the conference is.  People make fun of Iowa/Minny/NW/Wisky style of play but that is what wins games.  We will never be Ohio State which is what Frost wants to be. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, runningblind said:

First of all, he did not win a national championship, that's just silly.  Second,  he had one great season in a conference that plays no defense, and allows you to recover from questionable decisions like that on side kick because of extra possessions.  The big ten is the complete opposite of the AAC. Defense everywhere,  few possessions and a poor decision like that costs you the win.  He also had a vastly superior talent advantage to his opponents that year, outside of Auburn.  It was lightning in a bottle.  Frost has shown who he is, a losing HC. He isn't some awesome proven commodity based on one year where the stars aligned, he's got 5 losing seasons in 6 years as coach.  That's who he is.  Saying "a national championship coach can't win here!" is disingenuous.  A lot of people could be solid here, if they embrace what the conference is.  People make fun of Iowa/Minny/NW/Wisky style of play but that is what wins games.  We will never be Ohio State which is what Frost wants to be. 

I’m too lazy to go back and look, but that team that didn’t win a game was in the Orange/Fiesta bowl two years earlier.

The winless to undefeated story is still pretty impressive, but there’s details that are left out.  It wasn’t a program build.

• Plus1 3
On 8/27/2022 at 6:46 PM, runningblind said:

We have to hope he did know Frost was the problem, but he was appeasing boosters and admin by keeping him.  If he truly didn't know Frost was the problem, and he gets to hire the next guy, we are screwed. 

So many moving parts. Alumni, boosters, the fact the Frost was supposed to be The One etc. And yeah the money. It matters. Saving 7.5 mil is not something to scoff at. I’m sure Trev had a feeling that he would be faced with this but I think he made the decision he had to make. 

And can we please just stop the talk about bringing in thoroughbred coaches. It’s not happening. It’s going to have to be another “up and coming” guy or it will be a somewhat known name/retread who was decent at some point ie Bielma. Thankfully, neither could be worse then our current regime. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, olddominionhusker said:

So many moving parts. Alumni, boosters, the fact the Frost was supposed to be The One etc. And yeah the money. It matters. Saving 7.5 mil is not something to scoff at. I’m sure Trev had a feeling that he would be faced with this but I think he made the decision he had to make. 

And can we please just stop the talk about bringing in thoroughbred coaches. It’s not happening. It’s going to have to be another “up and coming” guy or it will be a somewhat known name/retread who was decent at some point ie Bielma. Thankfully, neither could be worse then our current regime. 

The only thing that Alberts goofed on was the buyout being 7.5M. Should've aimed for getting it down to 3.5. Otherwise, it was probably the best option he had at the time. Giving one last opportunity could play dividends in the long term attracting coaches. I applaud the willingness to make changes though it's seeming like that's not going to move us in the direction we want. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, runningblind said:

How you feeling today? Your buddies in the administration finally ready to see the light and give up on Frost yet?

I'm feeling fine......appreciate you asking.

I'd feel better if I was hitting my new irons better.  Heading to the driving range and the 19th hole now.

Or maybe I should hit the 19th then the range?

My guess is the administration is waiting to see what things look like about halfway through the season, but i haven't talked to any of them to know for certain.

5 hours ago, TheSker said:

I'm feeling fine......appreciate you asking.

I'd feel better if I was hitting my new irons better.  Heading to the driving range and the 19th hole now.

Or maybe I should hit the 19th then the range?

My guess is the administration is waiting to see what things look like about halfway through the season, but i haven't talked to any of them to know for certain.

19th and then the range for sure.