Who should our next HC be?

I don't have a strong preference for anyone in particular, but in terms of results as a coach, I don't see a huge difference between Rhule, Aranda, or Bill O'Brien.

Aranda took over Baylor from Rhule, and in his first year went 2-7 with a team that had been 11-3 the year before. Aranda had been hired very late (late January), and it turned out to be the Covid year. But the very next year, Aranda took Baylor to their best season in school history.

Prior to that Rhule took over from Jim Grobe who had gone 7-6 in an interim year, and went 1-11 in his first year. That was during a pretty horrific scandal at Baylor, but the dropoff in the first season is at least comparable to what Aranda did a couple years later. Two years later, Rhule's results at Baylor were impressive, but it took him two years to recover, compared to Aranda taking one year. Rhule was also pulling the school out of a much larger dumpster fire. Someone mentioned way back on page f*ck-all that Aranda was not as good as Rhule because of Aranda's dip in his first year. But I have a hard time seeing either one of them as being substantially better than the other.

Bill O'Brien also kept a school afloat during scandal, similar to Rhule. But Penn State's scandal was even worse (they should have gotten the death penalty, in my opinion). In his two seasons there, he had winning records, without suffering the staggering dip that Rhule did when he took over. O'Brien also had a much better record than Rhule as an NFL coach (not that necessarily means anything compared to college coaching).

I don't know that any of these guys are the answer at Nebraska, but their coaching results don't seem all that different. I just find it odd that some people are so vehemently opposed to one of them or so strongly in favor of another. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm a recovering Urban guy but the more I think about it if they lose tomorrow they very well could lose out or maybe win another game. In the age of the portal you could lose damn near half the team. 

Guys like Rhule, Leipold, Campbell make sense as they know how to rebuild programs in this position. Don't think a guy like Aranda would take this job it's going to be a 3 year+ rebuild if the scenario I just laid out plays out.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
34 minutes ago, Husker816 said:

I'm a recovering Urban guy but the more I think about it if they lose tomorrow they very well could lose out or maybe win another game. In the age of the portal you could lose damn near half the team. 

Guys like Rhule, Leipold, Campbell make sense as they know how to rebuild programs in this position. Don't think a guy like Aranda would take this job it's going to be a 3 year+ rebuild if the scenario I just laid out plays out.

I think a well respected coach can come in a salvage a lot of the players. Especially if they are a proven winner, can sell an achievable vision and connect with the team. 

I also wonder when Frost checked out......By the record, I'd think the 1st season.  But who knows.  That might make it easier for the new coach to connect and lay solid expectations....

More candidates:

Mark Helfrich
Dan Mullen
Gene Chizik
Will Muschamp
Gus Malzahn 
Brady Hoke

Don't foreget about:

Josh Gattis - OC Miami
Kellen Moore - Cowboys OC 

Shane Beamer - South Carolina

Most likely candidate:

A current OC/DC coordinator that interviews well with Trev, and just get's the Nebraska way of life and values.  HB will need to google him and investigate his time at Memphis or Wake Forest or Va Tech.  Then review his success at FCS.  But also, he will have had one year under Saban or Dabo Sweeney or Jimbo Fischer or Kirby Smart as an analyst, so that should mean something too.  And he loves to run the ball, the play action pass and the trenches.  He will know Husker history and praise the Nebraska traditions and it's past.  But ultimately, bottom line, he never was HC at P5 school.  At the end of the day, he will get the job out of the three possibilities who actually are in the running conversation.  And he will be paid big bucks because there will be so much faith in him.  

/sarcasm

:snacks:

2 hours ago, lo country said:

I think a well respected coach can come in a salvage a lot of the players. Especially if they are a proven winner, can sell an achievable vision and connect with the team. 

I also wonder when Frost checked out......By the record, I'd think the 1st season.  But who knows.  That might make it easier for the new coach to connect and lay solid expectations....

Didn't think that he could get the players he needed and he had doubts about having success. That's upon arrival. He'd just come off of the incredible season at UCF. It takes a whole lot mentally to stay on top than to get there. Usually that aspect isn't understood. He comes to a program that is essentially on life support with an under-qualified staff. Being a head coach here entails considerably more than he had experienced. 

The overwhelm was there from the onslaught. 

The guy needed more of a runway so to speak. More experience, more seasoning. He jumped the gun when the opportunity came. How could he turn down his "dream job". Did he really want it? How much pressure was on him to come in? It's not ridiculous to consider that part of him didn't want to. He put a lot of pressure on himself with the high expectations and exuberant talk. If I'm his advisor, I tell him to say that it's going to be a rough road ahead. Something that can be overcome. Be patient. It's going to be ugly for awhile.

Quit telling people things that aren't the way they are. You need a culture of people willing to be scrappy and get dirty. Build. A nasty, underdog mentality. This isn't the damned 90's. You're entitled to nothing and will work for everything. And there can be satisfaction in that. 

But instead he puts more pressure on himself. He can't exceed lower expectations. He is expected to exceed higher ones. His dad experiences some health and dies further compounding the challenges. I think many in his circle of friends did nothing to help him and further compromised his efforts due to their influences. He was in over his head. Eventually things fell apart. The last wagon wheel wobbled into the ditch. 

I don't hate the guy. I just struggle with seeing things as they are then being criticized in a way that isn't accurate.  There's some personality things but mostly it has to do with timing and experience. I used to go around here saying, he's got three years. Just like Riley. Not that I thought that Riley was the answer or that I thought that he'd get it done. They need a stiff dose of reality up there. They go about it wrong again and again. It doesn't take anyone particularly smart. 

Scott was a very good offensive coordinator. There's no doubt that he's creative. If I support what he's doing knowing that it's not in his interest can that be translated into meaning that I don't support the guy? I said, if it doesn't work out with Scott if he can't do it then what. Here we are.

A lot of pressure was put on him and he put a lot of pressure on himself. He underestimated the difficulty of the BIG 10 and didn't effectively adjust and adapt. His system wasn't going to work. The overwhelm set in. And there were a number of miscues. Errors that a more seasoned coach wouldn't do like throwing his players under the bus.

I'm just not very happy about this. In fact, quite disgusted. Trev Alberts had better get this right. We've had one bad hire after another for various reasons. Better take action now. It can be done but we'd better quit making the mistakes of the past. Yes, we'll likely be nothing like we were in the "glory days" however, there is NO REASON that we can't be highly competitive and accomplish some really nice things. IF we get our heads out of our butt and set a trajectory.

It CAN be done. I remains to be seen if it will be. A Bill O'Brien isn't going to get it done. Put me on record for saying it right here and now. It's time to stop dinking around the edges and get some things done around here. Forget the allegiance to friends and the influential who aren't up to speed about what it will take. 

I'm just about to start following coaches I like. Enough of the circus. Figure IT out. Yeah, I know, I'm a crappy fan...   

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Didn't think that he could get the players he needed and he had doubts about having success. That's upon arrival. He'd just come off of the incredible season at UCF. It takes a whole lot mentally to stay on top than to get there. Usually that aspect isn't understood. He comes to a program that is essentially on life support with an under-qualified staff. Being a head coach here entails considerably more than he had experienced. 

The overwhelm was there from the onslaught. 

The guy needed more of a runway so to speak. More experience, more seasoning. He jumped the gun when the opportunity came. How could he turn down his "dream job". Did he really want it? How much pressure was on him to come in? It's not ridiculous to consider that part of him didn't want to. He put a lot of pressure on himself with the high expectations and exuberant talk. If I'm his advisor, I tell him to say that it's going to be a rough road ahead. Something that can be overcome. Be patient. It's going to be ugly for awhile.

Quit telling people things that aren't the way they are. You need a culture of people willing to be scrappy and get dirty. Build. A nasty, underdog mentality. This isn't the damned 90's. You're entitled to nothing and will work for everything. And there can be satisfaction in that. 

But instead he puts more pressure on himself. He can't exceed lower expectations. He is expected to exceed higher ones. His dad experiences some health and dies further compounding the challenges. I think many in his circle of friends did nothing to help him and further compromised his efforts due to their influences. He was in over his head. Eventually things fell apart. The last wagon wheel wobbled into the ditch. 

I don't hate the guy. I just struggle with seeing things as they are then being criticized in a way that isn't accurate.  There's some personality things but mostly it has to do with timing and experience. I used to go around here saying, he's got three years. Just like Riley. Not that I thought that Riley was the answer or that I thought that he'd get it done. They need a stiff dose of reality up there. They go about it wrong again and again. It doesn't take anyone particularly smart. 

Scott was a very good offensive coordinator. There's no doubt that he's creative. If I support what he's doing knowing that it's not in his interest can that be translated into meaning that I don't support the guy? I said, if it doesn't work out with Scott if he can't do it then what. Here we are.

A lot of pressure was put on him and he put a lot of pressure on himself. He underestimated the difficulty of the BIG 10 and didn't effectively adjust and adapt. His system wasn't going to work. The overwhelm set in. And there were a number of miscues. Errors that a more seasoned coach wouldn't do like throwing his players under the bus.

I'm just not very happy about this. In fact, quite disgusted. Trev Alberts had better get this right. We've had one bad hire after another for various reasons. Better take action now. It can be done but we'd better quit making the mistakes of the past. Yes, we'll likely be nothing like we were in the "glory days" however, there is NO REASON that we can't be highly competitive and accomplish some really nice things. IF we get our heads out of our butt and set a trajectory.

It CAN be done. I remains to be seen if it will be. A Bill O'Brien isn't going to get it done. Put me on record for saying it right here and now. It's time to stop dinking around the edges and get some things done around here. Forget the allegiance to friends and the influential who aren't up to speed about what it will take. 

I'm just about to start following coaches I like. Enough of the circus. Figure IT out. Yeah, I know, I'm a crappy fan...   

Good post IMO.  I agree with Frost.  Guy came here with all the expectations in the world.  With truly little to no experience as a HC...Year 3 when he came to NU that was floundering at best.  And it went south quickly.  No real experienced staff to lean on, blame game started and then some early season rumors with the likes of JD leaving and then Wan'dale....reality, dude was sim[ly not ready (in hindsight), but like many, I thought if not Frost then who....I'd take the drunk monkey that people said could coach when Bo was fired over Frost any day of the week.

Trev needs to get this right.  Find a DUDE as HC.  And after years of wandering in the desert, IMHO the new HC is on the clock day one to show improvement......Fair or not, that's the situation.

• Thanks 1