Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The more I hear from supposed "insiders" about who TA's top targets are, the more I hope that Mickey Joseph is successful. At least he can recruit and has connections to solid coordinators.

I agree.  I would venture to guess that a guy that is a great recruiter of 18 year olds is also a pretty good recruiter of 30-65 year olds.  I would guess he would bring in some great coordinators and position coaches.  

1 minute ago, junior4949 said:

I agree.  I would venture to guess that a guy that is a great recruiter of 18 year olds is also a pretty good recruiter of 30-65 year olds.  I would guess he would bring in some great coordinators and position coaches.  

I'm from South Louisiana and kids/parents LOVE him. He is sincere, knows how to connect with people, and is a good motivator. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

In this week's Pick 6 Podcast from the OWH, Sam McKewon has some great points about Trev (and the rest of the football program and fans) need to allow the next head coach (whomever he is) to do things the way that new coach sees fit.  That includes doing things a lot different than what has been done traditionally.

Items which should be open to change:  1) the walk-on program (why carry 60-70 additional guys if only 5-10 of them are going to play on Saturdays)  2) having to cow-tow to past players (guys who played 20-40 years ago should have little to no input on the program?)  3) having to bend the knee to Tom Osborne (why is he the moral compass for everything?)

There are other items which Sam mentioned, but I can't remember them off-hand.  The football program has been meddling for the past 20 years.  Maybe we should trust a new coach to let run the organization as he sees fit.

Sorry ColoradoHusk, this is asinine. Callahan was canned for making these very same changes. Pelini brought some, not all back. We need consistency in the program. - This- we're going to have walkons- now we're not, we're going to have past greats involved- wait- nope take a hike, we're going to give all defensive starters blackshirt - haha just kidding,  is flip flopping idiocy and is part of the reason the program doesn't have an identity. You have the walk on program for 3 reasons- depth, the ability to find late bloomers/ diamonds in the rough, and for state relations. The idea that Nebraska kids, even if not "scholarship caliber" can go play for the home team instills pride in the team, and when those sons of walk-ons are college eligible they can say, my dad played for the Huskers, I want to too. 

The walk-on program among other things are part of Nebraska's DNA you build upon it not flip flop on it. My only hope is that NIL will help home grown Nebraska kids walk-on instead of accept full ride offers at lower level schools. The price of college killed the walk-on program just as much as Callahan. 

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Nor are guys who are 6/7-win guys at a certain school yet expected to be 9-win guys at a new school that has "better resources"

Well if you haven't won at least a conference championship then you should be excluded from the job consideration. We all know how we are doing the last time a coach came from Iowa State just saying. Yes I know different sports.

9 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Nor are guys who are 6/7-win guys at a certain school yet expected to be 9-win guys at a new school that has "better resources"

Good thing Fickell and Stoops have both won at least 10 games twice at their current school then. 

Otherwise they won’t be “good enough” for us. 

51 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Sorry ColoradoHusk, this is asinine. Callahan was canned for making these very same changes. Pelini brought some, not all back. We need consistency in the program. - This- we're going to have walkons- now we're not, we're going to have past greats involved- wait- nope take a hike, we're going to give all defensive starters blackshirt - haha just kidding,  is flip flopping idiocy and is part of the reason the program doesn't have an identity. You have the walk on program for 3 reasons- depth, the ability to find late bloomers/ diamonds in the rough, and for state relations. The idea that Nebraska kids, even if not "scholarship caliber" can go play for the home team instills pride in the team, and when those sons of walk-ons are college eligible they can say, my dad played for the Huskers, I want to too. 

The walk-on program among other things are part of Nebraska's DNA you build upon it not flip flop on it. My only hope is that NIL will help home grown Nebraska kids walk-on instead of accept full ride offers at lower level schools. The price of college killed the walk-on program just as much as Callahan. 

Again, people take things at an absolute level.  Nowhere did I say that the walk-on program needs to END.  I just said it needs to be better managed, and doesn't need to be a rallying cry for the football team.  Also, why should the extreme numbers of walk-ons be used when the coaches haven’t managed them well the past 5 years. Why use a bad standard as the go-forward standard?

Can you tell me one good reason to have 60-70 walk-ons on the roster vs. 20-30?

47 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Having 150 kids on the team in asinine.  No one is trying to kill the walkon program.  You can still bring in 5-10 walkons per year and after attrition have 100-110 kids on the team.  That is plenty.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Having 150 kids on the team in asinine.  No one is trying to kill the walkon program.  You can still bring in 5-10 walkons per year and after attrition have 100-110 kids on the team.  That is plenty.

I also thought Frost poorly managed the true freshmen on the team and worried too much about preserving their redshirts. If you are recruiting, coaching, and developing at a high level, true freshmen should be able to contribute and the coach shouldn’t think about 4 years down the road.

• Fire 1

I still think Matt Campbell would be alright.  Not game-changing on the college football playoff level, but an improvement in the consistency of general wins on the schedule.  I think Fickell also could improve our average win total per season.

Really only Urban and perhaps Bob Stoops would be guaranteed to flip the tide and get us to become a playoff contender.  Everything else ranges from improvement in consistency of wins (Campbell) to G5 hire 2.0 (Chadwell).

48 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I think that Vance cand definitely coach but does he want to actually have something to do with recruiting. That's a different game of itself.

Might as well get Eric Bieniemy as OC while we are at it  :B)     Actually, I wonder if he would be a possible HC candidate? Last year he was mentioned a lot when we were on this same merry go round.  Not as much this year.