Define Expectations

You say forget who the coach is but assume he is ‘good’.  For me, that’s tough because my expectations will vary by coach a lot:  And it depends on this year results, a lot.  

So, I’d say as follows:

Assume we go 3-9 this year: but Trev gets his best guy but not elite. 

Year 1 2023.  5-7

Year 2 2024.   8-4

Year 3 2025.   9-3

Year 4 2026.   9-3

Assume we go 2-10 this year and Trev gets a middle of Big 12 or Pac 12 guys (good by most peoples’ views based on comments) but below Neb standards imo. 

Year 1 2023.  4-8

Year 2 2024.  5-7

Year 3 2025.  4-8

Year 4 2025.  6-6

Assume we go 5-7 this year and Trev gets his guy.  

Year 1.  6-6 plus bowl win

Year 2.  7-5 plus bowl loss

Year 3.  9-4

Year 4.  9-4

The better we do this year, the better it will be in the future.  But it will still take 4 years to get to Big Ten champ game, unless Trev gets Urb Meyer or a very top guy.   Most of the listed names are below NU standards btw. It will jump dramatically by Year 2.  Year 4 we can win Big Ten champ.  

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Putting win numbers, championships by a certain year, or any other measurable is a bit of an over reach imo.  Crawl before we walk... run.  My real expectation is to field a team that is fun to watch, wins more than they lose, and makes Saturday's fun again.  

True.  Ultimately, I feel we should be working towards winning conference championships.  That is the prize we need to have in our heads.  If we accomplish that, then you are in the playoff picture for something much bigger.  But, without competing for the conference championship, you get nothing.

So, yes, we have to crawl before we walk...run...etc.  I've been saying that for a long time.  That's why I get irritated when someone says they want to see 6 wins next year and someone else says...."See, you've lowered your expectations for the program".  No...we haven't.  It's just that we know we are not going to win an CC or NC next year.  We have to work towards that.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Hagg said:

Makes me think back, and how there are so many words to describe what's happened here.  They're all over the place.  The main thing is that now we're hoping that Joseph can take these same kids and make them do different things by just enough to give us a winning season, otherwise why fire Frost at this point instead of letting him continue through October or even the rest of the season?  Somebody expects something.

My expectations can't coalesce much right now as to the new coach coming in (IF a new coach comes in, T.O. and others are intimating that Mickey Joseph can do well here).  If we hire a new guy for megabux then here we go again on the "next season" thing, lather/rinse/repeat. 

I just don't know what to expect anymore.  It'd be wonderful to have that Husker dream come true, wherein we see 9+ wins per season.  But.........

I really, really hope that Mickey's influence shows on game days.  Wins would be great but noticable improvement would be huge in my books.  I'm not sold on the "next big name'.  Mickey is in the same boat that Dabo Sweeney was in when he got his chance.  

• Plus1 2

expectation

noun

ex·pec·ta·tion | \ ˌek-ˌspek-ˈtā-shən  , ik- \

Definition of expectation

1: the act or state of expecting : ANTICIPATIONin expectation of what would happen
2a: something expectednot up to expectationsexpectations for an economic recovery
b: basis for expecting : ASSURANCEthey have every expectation of success
c: prospects of inheritance usually used in plural
3: the state of being expected
  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

These are my minimum expectations, I of course hope for much better:

Year 1: no expectations - hope we get a decent transition recruiting class and in-game decisions are not terrible

Year 2: make a bowl game and have a top 25 recruiting class/NIL

Year 3: make a bowl (and every year going forward), have a top 20 average recruiting class going forward , and beat a team we aren't supposed to beat

Year 4: OL play is finally good, compete for the division, 8+ wins going forward

Year 5+: compete for conference most years with some really good years mixed in

I don't think Urban Meyer or any other top tier coach will ever come to Lincoln. Maybe you will get lucky finding an assistant coach who turns out to be the next Dabo Swinney. I had certainly never heard of him before he went to Clemson.

For Nebraska to reach the BIG championship game would be quite an achievement. To win the BIG championship would shock me.

10 minutes ago, buckeye fan said:

I don't think Urban Meyer or any other top tier coach will ever come to Lincoln. Maybe you will get lucky finding an assistant coach who turns out to be the next Dabo Swinney. I had certainly never heard of him before he went to Clemson.

For Nebraska to reach the BIG championship game would be quite an achievement. To win the BIG championship would shock me.

It never hurts to get a perspective from a fan of the opposing team.

Wait a minute. Yes it does. 

You know what else would shock you? A car battery hooked up to your testicles. 

• Haha 6