TCU HC Sonny Dykes

14 hours ago, chamrocck said:

For what it’s worth I think I prefer Dykes over Campbell and Leipold. Dykes has a pipeline into TX.  Campbell’s stock has really dropped. Leipold is hot right now but let’s see where Kansas is at after the meat of their schedule. But the reason I don’t like either is because they are regional small niche players. We are in a huge national mega conference only getting bigger and we need to be more of a national program and presence. Neither of those coaches gets close to that.  If Trev can’t see where things are going in that regard we are in big trouble. We will self limit to a few states and mire in mediocrity. No thanks. Hire the homerun and build the future. 

I agree - problem is, if Trev doesn't have his homerun hire already lined up, he's likely not going to get one. And I don't think he does. I mean who, other than Urban Meyer or Chris Petersen, would qualify as a home run?

• Haha 1

Meyer

Petersen

Gundy

Aranda

Kiffen

B. Stoops

All would be home runs and give Nebraska national credibility.

After these guys I’d say Fickell is a triple and probably Rhule too.  I think Fickell will end up in the B1G at some point. 

Sanders is a unique wild card. He’s like stealing home. Something you don’t see very often.

To me Campbell and Leipold are two of the weaker candidates, single or double material. M. Stoops, Dykes, Patterson, and Mullen are somewhere In this category too.

I probably missed some.  Mickey’s throwing relief right now and it remains to be seen if he can close these guys out or if he gets knocked around the yard.  Too many baseball analogies! :lol:

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

All of you with a thing for Meyer forget that every recruit has a mom, grandma, maybe a sister or a girlfriend.  To knowingly hire someone who not just condones but hides spousal abuse and someone who comes with a pretty decent list of his own personal abusive and philandering behavior and make him the face of the program, is not an investment in the teams future, in fact it harms the program in a way I don't think we recover from.  

You don't just lose a lot of lifetime fans and financial supporters of the program (cuz they too have female friends and family members that they respect, or they're just moral people that will  not continue giving money to such a program).  If you think a parent is going to say "hel* yeah that's the guy I want showing my kid how to be a young man,  I can't wait to send my son off to a program that condones and rewards that behavior".  

Heck lets say you're ok with the covering up for his abusive coaches and the public grinding women who are NOT his wife etc - would you knowingly send your son off to be coached by a man that verbally and physically assaulted grown men on a professional fb team?  Why would stop him from doing the same to your son?  So many posts about Mickey have been about how he is taking accountability for this team right now not tossing his coaches or his players under the bus ... did you see the Jaguars press conferences and how Meyer behaved?  Would you want to run through a wall for that guy only to have him make snide and comments about you in public?

Urban Meyer is an older, Scott Frost with just more successful years on his resume.  He comes with all of Scotts issues AND the public spectacle.  Past behavior is indicative of future behavior, and haven't we had enough of the frat parties and lack of focus and morals on this team?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • TBH 3

21 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Meyer

Petersen

Gundy

Aranda

Kiffen

B. Stoops

All would be home runs and give Nebraska national credibility.

After these guys I’d say Fickell is a triple and probably Rhule too.  I think Fickell will end up in the B1G at some point. 

Sanders is a unique wild card. He’s like stealing home. Something you don’t see very often.

To me Campbell and Leipold are two of the weaker candidates, single or double material. M. Stoops, Dykes, Patterson, and Mullen are somewhere In this category too.

I probably missed some.  Mickey’s throwing relief right now and it remains to be seen if he can close these guys out or if he gets knocked around the yard.  Too many baseball analogies! :lol:

Pretty solid analogies all the way around. I wouldn't put Gundy, Aranda, or Kiffen in the home run category though. If Rhule and Fickell are triples, Gundy, Aranda, and Kiffen are too. To me, home run would have to at least include having been to the CFP. That's not to say that's the only criteria, but it should be one of them.

22 hours ago, NM11046 said:

All of you with a thing for Meyer forget that every recruit has a mom, grandma, maybe a sister or a girlfriend.  To knowingly hire someone who not just condones but hides spousal abuse and someone who comes with a pretty decent list of his own personal abusive and philandering behavior and make him the face of the program, is not an investment in the teams future, in fact it harms the program in a way I don't think we recover from.  

You don't just lose a lot of lifetime fans and financial supporters of the program (cuz they too have female friends and family members that they respect, or they're just moral people that will  not continue giving money to such a program).  If you think a parent is going to say "hel* yeah that's the guy I want showing my kid how to be a young man,  I can't wait to send my son off to a program that condones and rewards that behavior".  

Heck lets say you're ok with the covering up for his abusive coaches and the public grinding women who are NOT his wife etc - would you knowingly send your son off to be coached by a man that verbally and physically assaulted grown men on a professional fb team?  Why would stop him from doing the same to your son?  So many posts about Mickey have been about how he is taking accountability for this team right now not tossing his coaches or his players under the bus ... did you see the Jaguars press conferences and how Meyer behaved?  Would you want to run through a wall for that guy only to have him make snide and comments about you in public?

Urban Meyer is an older, Scott Frost with just more successful years on his resume.  He comes with all of Scotts issues AND the public spectacle.  Past behavior is indicative of future behavior, and haven't we had enough of the frat parties and lack of focus and morals on this team?

I think we tried that with a guy named Mike Riley. Nice guy but still couldn't get top players. Good players and their families want them to go to the NFL. I don't think indiscretions in the past are going to sway the individuals thinking on this. Besides, just look at the moral decay our country is in right now. It's disheartening to say the least.

• Haha 4
  • TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It's fun to banter about possible Head Coaches, but I'd like to remind people of this article about Trev Alberts from nearly one year ago.

Read it as a window into the mind and soul of Trev Alberts, because his opinion is the only one that counts. This is a quote most have probably forgotten:

One focus: That Frost have more of a global approach to the head coaching job, which Alberts said is much tougher than it once was, especially in the Big Ten, where “Scott’s matching wits with some of the most elite head coaches in the history of the game.”

“It requires the full attention of the head coach in some of those critical CEO areas that I think he is certainly understanding and embracing,” Alberts said.

The A.D. mentioned that, if a player comes off the field, Frost can’t be “so fixated on what you’re going to call next” that he’s not able to give comfort or correction as needed.

This, I believe, is the strength that Mickey Joseph has brought to the table. He's approachable, he's humble, but he's no-nonsense and he's principled. And if I've seen anything from his Interim Day One until now, it is concern for the "the kids" and putting them first - while at the same time emphasizing their contract with the University of Nebraska (not loyalty to a person). If Mickey has shown anything it is that he is a leader of men - Garrett Nelson doesn't appear to be the only one who wants to "ride with Mickey".

You might recall that after Whipple chewed out Thompson on the sideline (Indiana game), Mickey did not interfere or join the conversation (though he was standing right there). But watch the end of it: he immediately did wheel around and follow Thompson AFTER the butt chewing. Call it Good Cop/Bad Cop, but a good journalist would have asked Thompson what Mickey said to him when that happened. I have the feeling it was something to encourage him and build him up. That's something he can't do if he's calling his own plays. That's the kind of CEO stuff that Trev wants to see on the sideline.

One question I would be asking is who Mickey would like to get to be his O-Line coach. I had the feeling that Frost was given a particular budget to make changes with, and he spent more than he wanted to on MJ, Whipple, Busch, and Applewhite - so the hiring of Raiola was sort of a (bad) budget move. If Frost really wanted to save his bacon, he would have made O-Line his priority - but he was always more about the "skill position players" (a misnomer in my book, since every position requires skill).

• Plus1 1
On 10/6/2022 at 9:42 AM, NM11046 said:

HA, yah, urban and frostys resume are really indistinguishable from one another if you just cover the names   :flush

You've laid down some pretty aggressive takes here and not all are true.  Sorry to break it to ya but the vast majority of families/kids who want to make it to the NFL dont care as much as you think they do at some of the "accusations" associated with Urban.  If he was truly the devil you made him out to be, I highly doubt Fox is paying him big bucks to return.  

Your take on his situation about his wife, again why does that matter?  You're essentially putting your personal take on some one else's life. I dont follow husker football because the coach is loyal to his wife, i want wins.  What if they have an open relationship and its fine with the wife, y does that matter to you?

You're more concerned about losing fans because of a perceived characterization that is partly false.  Yet you don't seem to be that concerned that the wrong hire could permanently put this progrum into purgatory?  Urban would be an absolute home run of a hire to right the ship here and you're delusional if you think there's another name that would even come close to surpassing him in reaction and results. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

27 minutes ago, sho said:

I read that as Trev does not want the next HC to be the play-caller for either side of the ball.  Be more of the CEO type, let the OC/DC be the play callers, HC manages the game and the players.

The natural natural progression for a coach to move from position coach-coordinator- Head Coach and it always has been but this is a much different game then even 10-20 years ago.  Just because a guy is good at drawing up schemes and calling plays really has little to do with them being a successful HC, which is why you see so many of them fail.  Being a good head coach is more about things like organization, accountability of both players and staff, and like @sho said, managing players and managing the game. If Trev understands this, which I believe he does, I think Mickey is a serious candidate for the job.  So far it seems like Mickey can do these things and with Trev's help we could get some top notch coordinators and assistants.

• Plus1 1
On 10/17/2022 at 4:58 PM, Farms said:

The natural natural progression for a coach to move from position coach-coordinator- Head Coach and it always has been but this is a much different game then even 10-20 years ago.  Just because a guy is good at drawing up schemes and calling plays really has little to do with them being a successful HC, which is why you see so many of them fail.  Being a good head coach is more about things like organization, accountability of both players and staff, and like @sho said, managing players and managing the game. If Trev understands this, which I believe he does, I think Mickey is a serious candidate for the job.  So far it seems like Mickey can do these things and with Trev's help we could get some top notch coordinators and assistants.

If you think they can get top notch coordinators and assistants why not get a top notch head coach?  

On 10/17/2022 at 3:59 PM, sho said:

I read that as Trev does not want the next HC to be the play-caller for either side of the ball.  Be more of the CEO type, let the OC/DC be the play callers, HC manages the game and the players.

For what it's worth, Coach Dykes is an offensive guy but hasn't called the plays in years. I think he did at Cal but I know at SMU he had Rhett Lashlee calling them and then Garrett Riley after Lashlee left for Miami. He brought Riley to TCU to call them there and would presumably bring him to Lincoln. Frankly, I don't think Riley will take a HC job until it's an upper tier P5 program and I don't think he's a big enough name for that yet which is why I think he'd come with Sonny.  

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any new information? I haven't heard anything so I'm kinda growing restless. Obviously it's been a pretty impressive season for Dykes thus far which is super enticing. It's also been pretty lackluster for Matt Campbell, and Dave Aranda, among others, which makes me question them. I've been out on Campbell for forever and still think that would be a sad hire for us. I would kill for Kiffin but it seems like he's either heading to Auburn or staying put which I think is a mistake but it is what it is. Honestly, what happened with Mark Stoops? I think someone mentioned that idea and I was in for it but he just signed an extension so that seems over. I keep thinking Dykes, Gus Malzahn, Kyle Whittingham, and those types of guys but is it worth taking a look at Clark Lea over at Vandy?