Your 2023 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Not sure where to put this, but this seems like a 2023 catch-all thread

So, here’s what’s changing:

1. The game clock will run after first downs (as it does in the NFL), except for the last two minutes of each half.

2. A team cannot call consecutive timeouts.

3. Untimed downs will only occur, as needed, in the second and fourth quarters. If there is a foul at the end of the first or third quarter, it will carry over into the next quarter.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

If this passes, then all the B1G players getting in trouble for gambling should be exonerated. So hypocritical.

This take doesn't make sense to me. An athlete isn't allowed to gamble because they have inside information or the ability to alter the outcome. There is no rule about an athlete tweeting that they "won't be playing this week for X reason". Just like athletes, conferences can do whatever they like so long as it doesn't break NCAA rules. If everyone knows who is/not playing then no inherent advantage is had. Of course revealing this information is all for the gamblers, and is something I don't care for, but this isn't hypocritical at all.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 7
6 hours ago, zeWilbur said:

This take doesn't make sense to me. An athlete isn't allowed to gamble because they have inside information or the ability to alter the outcome. There is no rule about an athlete tweeting that they "won't be playing this week for X reason". Just like athletes, conferences can do whatever they like so long as it doesn't break NCAA rules. If everyone knows who is/not playing then no inherent advantage is had. Of course revealing this information is all for the gamblers, and is something I don't care for, but this isn't hypocritical at all.

The NCAA recently instituted permanent bans, take a look at the last condition:

The new guidelines adopted this week by the Division I Legislative Committee calls for a permanent collegiate ban if any player is found to have bet on their games, influenced the outcome of those games, bets on other sports at their school, or knowingly provided information to someone engaged in sports betting.

The B1G is knowing providing information solely for the purposes of gambling. That doesn't strike anyone else as hypocritical?

On 8/25/2023 at 1:59 PM, Red Five said:

Not sure where to put this, but this seems like a 2023 catch-all thread

So, here’s what’s changing:

1. The game clock will run after first downs (as it does in the NFL), except for the last two minutes of each half.

2. A team cannot call consecutive timeouts.

3. Untimed downs will only occur, as needed, in the second and fourth quarters. If there is a foul at the end of the first or third quarter, it will carry over into the next quarter.

1 and 3 are unnecessary. If you really want to speed up the game then stop having so many freaking commercial breaks that interrupt the flow of the action.

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

1 and 3 are unnecessary. If you really want to speed up the game then stop having so many freaking commercial breaks that interrupt the flow of the action.

Small sample size but apparently the first few games are averaging about 3 minutes less and 5 plays less. I agree though, cut out the commercials - and do something to speed up the reviews from the booth 

• TBH 2
33 minutes ago, GSG said:

Small sample size but apparently the first few games are averaging about 3 minutes less and 5 plays less. I agree though, cut out the commercials - and do something to speed up the reviews from the booth 

How could I forget about the reviews??? They should really consider something closer to the NFL with booth reviews. Someone upstairs needs to be looking at it before the ref gets to the monitor and decisions need to be quicker.

• TBH 1
9 hours ago, GSG said:

The part that annoys me the most is how long they take to simply decide to review.  There are all set up and ready to snap it again, then they stop and announce a review, then they review.   Just review it already in Chicago or wherever, pause the next play for 5 seconds and lets get on with it. 

• TBH 1