Garret McGuire Hired as Wide Receivers Coach

Mavric

The way some people were acting with Mickey Joseph, it seemed like they thought retaining Mickey was more important than who was ever named head coach.  That should have never been the situation, as the head coach should always be the clear #1.

I have poo-pooed nepotism assistant hires in the past, and I did when Garrett was hired.  It wasn't a knock on Garrett, I just get annoyed when people are hired just because of who their dad is (yes I know it happens all over the sports and business world).  But, Garrett seems like a great young man, relates to the players and recruits very well, and has a bright future ahead of him.

• TBH 3

23 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Yep. Considering all the angst, hand wringing, doubts and dislike voiced by many when he was hired I'd say he is working out quite nicely. The feedback from players and recruits alike has been over the moon positive. Imagine that, Matt Rhule had a better handle on his hire that anonymous message board posters. Shocking.

It's almost like when Riley and Frost were hired when people said how great they would be because of  recruits.. 

• TBH 1
11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have poo-pooed nepotism assistant hires in the past, and I did when Garrett was hired.  It wasn't a knock on Garrett, I just get annoyed when people are hired just because of who their dad is (yes I know it happens all over the sports and business world).  But, Garrett seems like a great young man, relates to the players and recruits very well, and has a bright future ahead of him.

I was vocal about my concern with the Garrett hire as well. I think the criticisms at the time were absolutely fair.

Yes he’s done well in recruiting thus far. Bravo. But, there’s a lot more to prove. We’ve had plenty of WR coaches this past decade that have landed stars and names and done absolutely nothing with them. Can Garrett change that trend? I certainly hope so. 

• TBH 3
1 hour ago, Fru said:

I was vocal about my concern with the Garrett hire as well. I think the criticisms at the time were absolutely fair.

Yes he’s done well in recruiting thus far. Bravo. But, there’s a lot more to prove. We’ve had plenty of WR coaches this past decade that have landed stars and names and done absolutely nothing with them. Can Garrett change that trend? I certainly hope so. 

To clarify, my concerns weren’t with Garrett  due to his age or lack of experience. I am just not a fan of hiring a guy because Rhule coached with his dad at Baylor. Now Garrett may end up being a rising star in the coaching ranks and prove me totally wrong. It’s not the first time I’ve been proven wrong. 

28 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

To clarify, my concerns weren’t with Garrett  due to his age or lack of experience. I am just not a fan of hiring a guy because Rhule coached with his dad at Baylor. Now Garrett may end up being a rising star in the coaching ranks and prove me totally wrong. It’s not the first time I’ve been proven wrong. 

Maybe that’s not why he was hired. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, I AM FOOT FOOT said:

It's almost like when Riley and Frost were hired when people said how great they would be because of  recruits.. 

I don't remember too many people saying Riley would be great.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3
8 hours ago, Toe said:

I don't remember too many people saying Riley would be great.

Riley had a lot of fans on here when hired, we got the everything is great because we have experienced coaches now schtick and recruited high rated receivers and db s .Frost was the Nebraska guy who gets it guy who also recruited high rated receivers and db s,  I hope Garret is a good coach but we haven't seen anything yet.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That was one of my biggest concerns too, especially on the heels of everyone denouncing Scott for “Hiring his buddies.” Somehow hiring a buddy’s kid, with zero meaningful experience, was deemed just fine. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Fru said:

That was one of my biggest concerns too, especially on the heels of everyone denouncing Scott for “Hiring his buddies.” Somehow hiring a buddy’s kid, with zero meaningful experience, was deemed just fine. 

That POV ignores the level of talent identification in the hiring manager. Hiring the good talent is largely on the hiring manager to properly evaluate the talent of the candidates. So many times I have seen other fellow department heads make bad hires simply because the resume looks good, trusted a single reference, or was slightly desperate to fill a position even though hiring the wrong person is worse than not hiring someone at all. MR has a pretty good track record at making good hires, he is starting to show an impressive coaching tree. SF didn’t really have a track record in making hires, people assumed his 1st set of hires were good because they worked at UCF, but SF didn’t show an ability to hire P5 coaches before coming to NU where as MR clearly has. Don’t get blinded by the candidate and everyone’s perceived shortcomings without actually factoring in the person making the hire and that person’s track record for making good hires. 

• Haha 1

After the complete sh!t show the past 5 years, Kudos to Rhule and the staff for the recruiting success to date.  They have done a hell of a job selling a vision.  Dude has a plan.  He is taking over the worst stretch of Husker football in the majority of most fans lives and getting it done.  McG gets some credit for this.  Hoping it translates to the field, but the first step is getting talent on the field and this staff (McG included) are doing that.  

Fz_951dWYAAG2cG.jpg

I think this will get all the haters to shut up. He can recruit your kid and date your wife! 

In all seriousness, this was a quote from a parody Husker account- Ballsack Skers. I can't link it at this time via Twitter. 

This guy is killing it on the trail. Now, if he can develop them he will be looked at as a steal of a hire. 

Edit- I do not know how to make the image smaller. 

5 hours ago, lo country said:

After the complete sh!t show the past 5 years, Kudos to Rhule and the staff for the recruiting success to date.  They have done a hell of a job selling a vision.  Dude has a plan.

We’ve brought in recruits. We’ve brought in highly ranked skill position recruits.

I’ll be impressed when we start seeing those players leave because of graduation and entering the NFL draft.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
12 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Sounds like we're back to trying to run McGuire off again regardless of how he has performed so far or Rhule's ability to evaluate talent in the coaches he hires.

I wasn't trying to make this into a bashing-the McGuire hire thread, as that wasn't my intent.  I wasn't even against McGuire's hire in the first place, and wasn't concerned about his age.  I do trust Rhule in his ability to evaluate coaching and player talent.  I have liked everything that McGuire has done so far, and I would expect him to move up quickly through the coaching ranks.

My only point about being against nepotism hires is that it seems like it's even more prevalent today, and it makes it that much harder for young coaches to break into the coaching industry.  The guys with the right last name or started dating the right girl (Zac Taylor) have a huge leg up on other young coaches.  It makes it even a bigger impact today with the money that these coaches are making in college and NFL coaching, and the older coaches are going to "take care of their friends" and get their kids huge paying jobs if they want them.  

• TBH 2