SEC or BIG

16 hours ago, knapplc said:

The Big Ten West is the perfect place for a team like Nebraska trying to rebuild national relevance. Teams become relevant by winning. We wouldn't ever win more than three games in the SEC, no matter which division. We can win this division with only a little bit of improvement and consistency. That puts us on the national stage of the conference championship game and the playoffs reasonably frequently. We would never do that in the SEC.

We have one year to rebuild to national relevance since 2023 will be the last year of the B1G West.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2

Based on the way Nebraska has performed the last 10 years, they wouldn’t be a factor in the Big Sky conference. Granted, between the B1G and SEC, the B1G West provides the easiest path to a CCG but if Nebraska actually starts playing football again there isn’t that huge of a difference between the 2 conferences. It just has been and will likely remain more difficult to win an SEC division.  The problem has been the Husker’s complete incompetence. That can (but will it?) be corrected to a large degree.

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

We’ve been able to get B1G money while fielding a WAC program.  We are pretty lucky.

We are in a pretty good spot right now in my opinion.

We are in the best possible spot, and anyone looking for something else is missing the big picture.  This is one of the worst P5 divisions and we could own it if Rhule succeeds. It is going away yes, but largely we will play the same teams most years I think, plus UCLA and USC.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

20 hours ago, teachercd said:

Interesting discussion is which teams in each conference could never win it all.

SEC:  Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Miss St, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Mizzo

Big Ten:  Manny, Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, MSU, Rutgers, MD, Illini, NW

Arky, Minny, Purdue all had periods where they were top 5 programs.  I think Illinois may have.  

22 hours ago, huskerfan702 said:

I meant which conference would give us the better opportunity at relevance. The spotlight of the SEC plus having a brand that still carries weight I think the BIG was a safe move that handicaps us in some ways. Too many sleepy games against teams without a chance to be a contender and the recruiting landscape doesnt have the players to supplement more than 1-2 contenders 

The answer is now the SEC and clear in hindsight.  But you could not have known in 2011 that OU&TX were going to change that conference into the power league. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Arky, Minny, Purdue all had periods where they were top 5 programs.  I think Illinois may have.  

The answer is now the SEC and clear in hindsight.  But you could not have known in 2011 that OU&TX were going to change that conference into the power league. 

Yeah and Army used to be amazing and so were Harvard and Yale.

30 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

It’s a hypothetical question 

41 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

There are two power leagues, and we are in one of em. The easier one to win in, so I think we are just fine. We can't win anyway at the moment, so why make it harder.

33 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

Could’ve would’ve should’ve but it wasn’t and when you stack up how this thing has played out the last 2 decades it won’t be any credit for being close

It’s a question of relevance and not what the history books say.

It’s great you still get a tingle downstairs from the SEC, but the simple fact is there’s plenty that at right there.