Scott Frost's "thoughts" from 2005 still relevant today.

I understand that previous head coaching experience is important, because it's associated with being a good coach prospect; and that if we don't get this hire right, we're F'ed for a verrrrry long time. But if we simply don't consider those without head coaching experience, I say we're missing out on a lot of potentially good head coaches - Scott Frost being one of them.

A lot of people are saying Frost needs to be a head coach for a few years before coming here. They want him to ultimately come here because they see the potential he has: charismatic, running (albiet not developing) the best offense in the country, a coach who knows what Nebraska is, star power, has learned from an unbelievable amount of legendary coaches, yada yada yada. Well Frost is never going to be our head coach if we don't hire him now. Some other team is going to snatch him up and be set for years.

I truly believe he's biggest boom-or-bust guy out here, and after being so average with Pelini so long, I'm willing to take that risk (which is why I'm glad I'm not the AD).

I understand that previous head coaching experience is important, because it's associated with being a good coach prospect; and that if we don't get this hire right, we're F'ed for a verrrrry long time. But if we simply don't consider those without head coaching experience, I say we're missing out on a lot of potentially good head coaches - Scott Frost being one of them.

A lot of people are saying Frost needs to be a head coach for a few years before coming here. They want him to ultimately come here because they see the potential he has: charismatic, running (albiet not developing) the best offense in the country, a coach who knows what Nebraska is, star power, has learned from an unbelievable amount of legendary coaches, yada yada yada. Well Frost is never going to be our head coach if we don't hire him now. Some other team is going to snatch him up and be set for years.

I truly believe he's biggest boom-or-bust guy out here, and after being so average with Pelini so long, I'm willing to take that risk (which is why I'm glad I'm not the AD).

Frost is OC at a program where the previous OC was promoted to HC & Frost moved from WR coach to OC. Frost is using the previous OC's staff, players, play book, etc. Frost may be an up & coming coach but he was passed over for some HC slots after last season at mid-major schols for good reason. He has NEVER put together a D1 staff anywhere and that is a big, big issue. Frost is slightly more than a youngish position coach RIGHT NOW. I think Frost has a huge learning curve to to be an HC candidate. Hiring him does not get us on the path of winning games that matter anytime soon.

Let's get someone that is proven; Frost is young enough we could get him down the road IF HC at DONU is his dream job...

I have really started to come around to frost. Listening to some of his interactions with the media as well as watching his sideline demeanor you just sense a confidence that is calming. The guy is a true teacher. You give frost hefty budget for a staff and I bet he could become one helluva HC for us

After he went somewhere else first.

What peaks my interest about this topic is the "system" they had in place. It seems we has a TON of players on the practice field, and the "system" was just efficient at getting guys reps, coaching up techniques, and maximizing the physical/mental potential of our players - using the limited number of coaches we were allowed.

I suppose the idea, if the cream rises to the top... and you start out with more cows...you get more cream? :)

Anyway, I'd like to learn more about that, and know anyone else's thoughts if Bo is rebuilding that "system".

Also, I don't think it's fair to blame Callahan for destroying the walk-on tradition in a malicious fashion, he just didn't know how to coach that many players effectively. The way he knew how to coach meant he needed a smaller # of players to focus on.

The Callahan/Walk-on Program hate by fans is disappointing to me for two reasons.

1. Matt O'Hanlon and his walk-on story is one of my favorites, and it couldn't have happened without Callahan (and of course later on Pelini being responsible for his later development)

2. By hating on Callahan for not being able to continue the storied/traditional Husker walk-on program you lessen how impressive of a feat those coaches had accomplished before him.

This is well said. What really killed the walk on program is the rule instituted in 1998 by the NCAA limiting assistant coaches, namely graduate assistants. In the Devany/Osborne era, we had unlimited AC/GA's that could handle 120 walk-ons a year. The program was made smaller out of necessity starting under Frank in 1998, then under both Bill and Bo because they simply didn't have the coaches to support such a massive program anymore. If you want to blame anyone for the fall off of the walk on program, then you need to blame the NCAA, not any of our three failed coaches since Tom retired.

• 10 months later...

• 1 year later...