LJS: Banker talks of key regrets in wake of ouster as Husker defensive coordinator

Does Banker talking about it to the press instead of talking to Riley about it (or maybe in addition to), fall into the same, "let's talk like grown ass men" mentality?

Banker was called by the media earlier in the week. He just got back to them today. I don't see any issue.

Also, Riley is out recruiting, and Banker is trying to find a new job. They probably haven't had a lot of time to "clear the air".

You've known a guy, coached with a guy, and been friends with a guy for 20 years? Man up and do it in person.

Completely agree.

It doesnt' and shouldn't matter that FBS coaching is a cut-throat business.

It doesn't and shouldn't matter that the coaches are in the final push of recruiting.

What does and should matter is do the right thing.

Coach Riley should have just been patient enough to let Banker get back to Lincoln and then have the decency...not just as a 20 year friend, but as a professional to dismiss him in person. Letting him go over the phone was wrong...period. It's not a good look for Coach Riley, or for Nebraska.

Did we need to make a change at Defensive Coordinator? Yes.

However, it is this Cornhusker fan's personal opinion that this was handled very poorly, and I must admit I'm disappointed Coach Riley handled this manner in such a fashion.

• Fire 1

Our media focuses on some incredibly stupid things.

Just hired one of the best young DCs in CFB - nope, let's focus alot of attention on Mark Banker's feelings being hurt.

One of the few times I'll side with the media but it's their job to report all sides...At least it used to be. Maybe weve forgotten with all the fake news these days.

all sides huh? funny, i didn't see any quote from mike riley in that article...

or better yet, any indication that the writers had waited for any sort of considerable time for riley to call back.

• Fire 2

With all this being said about banker and Riley I think our local media has become exhausting. Theres been a lot of drama among husker football the last 15 years that they've had a lot to write about and business possibly has been very good but the last few years it's getting close to crossing the line and become tiresome. It's dramatic anymore and they're just wearing things out

Banker talks of key regrets in wake of ouster as Husker defensive coordinator

Mark Banker will look back on his two-season tenure as Nebraska defensive coordinator with a few regrets, but two in particular.

The first is the 23-17 gut-punch loss Oct. 29 at Wisconsin, in which the Nebraska defense played well but needed a couple more stops. With a win in that game, the Huskers would have been much more likely to win their division, Banker said.

As for his other major regret, Banker said the manner in which he learned of his firing Wednesday sticks in his craw.

"I had to find out from Mike (Riley), after working together for 20 years, over the phone," said Banker, referring to the Husker head coach. "He called me on my cell phone as I was in an airport headed to Tulsa, Oklahoma, to see (2017 prospect) Kamren Curl.

I think he was asked a question, and just like Banker, he was being candid and honest. I'm sure he was a little hurt, and maybe there was a little shot fired for his own pride. But when it comes down to it, a grown-ass man has to be cutting edge with his defense, relentless against the pass, able to attack and adapt to the league's MO in October & November.... And quite frankly, I think he coasted with his philosophy/scheme a little too much. No doubt in mind that Parella & Bray felt their squads were handcuffed because of it. (And more than likely voiced their opinion to Riley throughout the season).

I wish Banker the best and hoped he enjoyed his time here. He'll always be a Husker IMHO.

:bonesflag:

• Fire 1

Are people really not thinking that Riley had to move quickly on this? He did what he had to, it's a cuthroat business. Riley is a mature grown man who is doing what he has to. Can't always consider everyone's feelings, although I'm sure it wasn't fun for Mike.

I think just the opposite. Riley didn't wake up and realize "Gosh, maybe I should get rid of my best friend today"

This is something he has been thinking about, probably, since they came here. I think when they came here and he brought Banker he thought that there was a chance that things would be better on defense here than they were at Oregon State. When he saw that really wasn't the case he realized he might have to can him.

I am actually surprised he didn't do it after/before the bowl game. But I am not surprised he did it over the phone. Maybe I am weird but I think that BECAUSE they are such good friends, the phone might have been better for both. Now, clearly Banker doesn't agree with me and that is fine. But if I was firing my best friend or vice versa, I think I would rather have it done over the phone so that I can process it, alone, afterwards.

Let's play it out the other way. He calls Banker is Tulsa and says "Hey, don't go see Curl. I need you to come back to the office."

"Why?"

"Can't tell you right now, just come back."

Does that work better for you all? Like Banker doesn't know what is happening? He gets to sit on a flight in the dark not being treated like a grown-ass man?

And what if Diaco is at the offices being interviewed when Banker gets back?

Better?

• Fire 5

Let's play it out the other way. He calls Banker is Tulsa and says "Hey, don't go see Curl. I need you to come back to the office."

"Why?"

Does that work better for you all? Like Banker doesn't know what is happening? He gets to sit on a flight in the dark not being treated like a grown-ass man?

Better?

I asked this same question. It is/was a lose-lose situation. Well, win for the Huskers getting rid of his defense anyways!

"Why?"

Better?

Enjoyed these thoughts.