Frost’s QB Room

5 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I just don't see how Martinez can't start. Bigger, stronger, faster, better runner. Both are leaders and mature. Gebbia prolly throws better at this point, but not overall as effective. Milton struggled quite a bit year one, but all the experience made him be able to take such a leap his sophomore year. We also have better weapons this year than he had, but will also face better defenses 

All the things you listed are important - however, assuming they are both functional at the above items, quick thinking is way more important in this offense then the other 125 teams 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

For a team that is needing depth and is expected to improve each year - redshirting is silly. 

Do we really think that SF won't have a QB here in 4 years that is better than AM?

Who said anyone will redshirt? And it's possible Martinez will be the best QB the next 4 years. In fact, I would love to see someone who could be better. I think sky is the limit for AM

37 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Who said anyone will redshirt? And it's possible Martinez will be the best QB the next 4 years. In fact, I would love to see someone who could be better. I think sky is the limit for AM

sorry thought i quoted "oade" but guess not.    Martinez will be good and i would love to see him start in year 4, however it is not a reason to redshirt him this year so that we can have him in year 5. 

The statement is also a general team wide statement.  SF is not redshirting anybody that can help - redshirting produces smaller recruiting classes each year and in the early days when depth is an issue it's not going to happen.  

39 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

The statement is also a general team wide statement.  SF is not redshirting anybody that can help - redshirting produces smaller recruiting classes each year and in the early days when depth is an issue it's not going to happen.  

With the size and experience kids have out of high school now it's just not as advantageous across the board as it once was, and with so many early NFL entrees it can be counterproductive to have a player sit out a year. There's also a transfer consideration. There are a lot of them and sometimes a guy just doesn't work out. It's easier to talk about that player transferring if he has that redshirt still to burn.

This topic is one of those things that is very different now than 20 years ago. It's also an example of how Frost takes the concepts used in the past, like player development, but modifies them to suit the present. Obviously with the new redshirt rule this isn't as significant.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

For a team that is needing depth and is expected to improve each year - redshirting is silly. 

Do we really think that SF won't have a QB here in 4 years that is better than AM?

I don't see it that way. I hope we have several top flight QBs here in 5 years, but we don't even know how good Martinez or Gebbia really are, so it's impossible to guess if we will have anyone significantly better or not. And it's impossible to say if a "better" QB will make it to campus to start with, or learn the offense, or stay healthy. I know it seems impossible to think that we won't be better off, but unless we can point to this QB or that QB, then we really shouldn't gameplan around the abilities of a current HS QB.

For this season, if Gebbia wins the starting position, I don't see why we wouldn't try to use Martinez' RS. Play him in 4 games (1 or 2 up front, save the other 2 for if Gebbia gets injured or struggles), and still use his RS. That's the ideal scenario if Gebbia is equal or better this season.

If Martinez or another newcomer is better, then by all means play him. But if someone's not going to contribute, then why waste the chance to RS them.

With the new RS rules, as a general team rule, I feel like we should be playing our true freshmen as much as possible during our first 4 or last 4 home games. Limiting exposure of the higher classman, and saving their bodies as much as possible for the brutal road games.

1 hour ago, Oade said:

I don't see it that way. I hope we have several top flight QBs here in 5 years, but we don't even know how good Martinez or Gebbia really are, so it's impossible to guess if we will have anyone significantly better or not. And it's impossible to say if a "better" QB will make it to campus to start with, or learn the offense, or stay healthy. I know it seems impossible to think that we won't be better off, but unless we can point to this QB or that QB, then we really shouldn't gameplan around the abilities of a current HS QB.

For this season, if Gebbia wins the starting position, I don't see why we wouldn't try to use Martinez' RS. Play him in 4 games (1 or 2 up front, save the other 2 for if Gebbia gets injured or struggles), and still use his RS. That's the ideal scenario if Gebbia is equal or better this season.

If Martinez or another newcomer is better, then by all means play him. But if someone's not going to contribute, then why waste the chance to RS them.

With the new RS rules, as a general team rule, I feel like we should be playing our true freshmen as much as possible during our first 4 or last 4 home games. Limiting exposure of the higher classman, and saving their bodies as much as possible for the brutal road games.

I would agree with much of this.

If Gebbia is the starter, the new rules really help out Martinez.  We can still play him in 4 games, get him experience.  Play him in a couple games early that (we hope) we are winning big.  Then, if Gebbia gets injured later in the year, Martinez has some experience and you bring him in.  If that burns his redshirt....fine.  If it's the last couple games of the year....great....he hasn't lost eligibility.  

I know Frost has said he will name a starter 1 week before the opener ... but if it really is that close I could see (or wouldn't mind to see) Frost change course a bit and really see him splitting time in the first game and using that in the evaluation as to who will be the starter for week 2 and rest of the season. 

1 minute ago, bugeater17 said:

I know Frost has said he will name a starter 1 week before the opener ... but if it really is that close I could see (or wouldn't mind to see) Frost change course a bit and really see him splitting time in the first game and using that in the evaluation as to who will be the starter for week 2 and rest of the season. 

I really don't like that idea.

We need to hit the ground running as well as we can the first game.  We need to get the season started with momentum so we can go into the Colorado game and beyond with confidence to win.

The staff still himming and hawing over who the leader of the offense is, goes against that.

Pick someone...go with them as the starter...and hope you get far enough ahead that late in the game the second string guy can get some playing time.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I really don't like that idea.

We need to hit the ground running as well as we can the first game.  We need to get the season started with momentum so we can go into the Colorado game and beyond with confidence to win.

The staff still himming and hawing over who the leader of the offense is, goes against that.

Pick someone...go with them as the starter...and hope you get far enough ahead that late in the game the second string guy can get some playing time.

In a perfect world - yes you pick one guy to be your starter from week 1 because they have separated themselves in practice and scrimmages. However, some guys are just better in games and you don't really know how they will react until presented with that situation.  

As to you the last paragraph - if you do that you (potentially) set yourself up for 2nd guessing yourself. What happens if the starter plays just ok but because of the run game, special teams and D you are up by a lot and the 2nd stringer comes in a lights the world on fire (likely against the other teams 2nd team as well). 

No matter who is picked I think we are going to have a ton of second guessing by our fan base as the season goes on.  It's our nature to always think the next guy can do better.  I would like to see both get playing time early but I agree that a clear cut starter should be named as early as possible so the core of the offense can gel.  They bring different strengths to the table imo so I don't see them being completely interchangeable- play calling would need to be adjusted.   

31 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This is a weird line fron huskers.com, since Martinez isn’t competing against any other true freshmen (unless you include the walk on and I don’t know if he’s a true freshman).

Not sure I follow.  It's saying that it's not accurate to say he has an edge because he showed up in Spring.  I would agree with that.