Frost’s QB Room

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not to turn this into an English class, but I'm not seeing what's wrong with it.

I screwed up the quote tag below and I’m on my phone and now I can’t get it out of the quote box.

”It's a very subjective process – I think that's the word. It's not just, 'I like this guy the most, so let's do it.'[/quote]

subjective - based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

objective - not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.

The QB coach scores them in several different categories, which tells me he’s trying (as much as possible) to take subjectivity out of the decision. I believe what Gebbia should have said is the process is not subjective. You could say, because of those scores, that it’s data-driven.

17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I screwed up the quote tag below and I’m on my phone and now I can’t get it out of the quote box.

Yeah, I see what you are saying.  And I agree that they are trying to make it as objective as possible.  And perhaps that's what he meant to say.  But there's still a lot of subjectivity to it - if they are really as close as the coaches are trying to make them out to be.

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I see what you are saying.  And I agree that they are trying to make it as objective as possible.  And perhaps that's what he meant to say.  But there's still a lot of subjectivity to it - if they are really as close as the coaches are trying to make them out to be.

Ya, there will be in the end but it’s probably a lot easier to break it to the backups using objective reasons.

I just don't see how Martinez can't start. Bigger, stronger, faster, better runner. Both are leaders and mature. Gebbia prolly throws better at this point, but not overall as effective. Milton struggled quite a bit year one, but all the experience made him be able to take such a leap his sophomore year. We also have better weapons this year than he had, but will also face better defenses 

19 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I just don't see how Martinez can't start. Bigger, stronger, faster, better runner. Both are leaders and mature. Gebbia prolly throws better at this point, but not overall as effective. Milton struggled quite a bit year one, but all the experience made him be able to take such a leap his sophomore year. We also have better weapons this year than he had, but will also face better defenses 

I can easily see how he wouldn't start.  Anything from ball protection, poor decisions, poor reads, not knowing the play book as well...etc.

I really don't care who starts.  I trust these coaches to make the right decision to win games.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can easily see how he wouldn't start.  Anything from ball protection, poor decisions, poor reads, not knowing the play book as well...etc.

I really don't care who starts.  I trust these coaches to make the right decision to win games.

I agree. I also think that these coaches will not be afraid to make a change if it is needed. 

Not sure who'll start. I'm just excited to find out.

32 minutes ago, Day by Day said:

I agree. I also think that these coaches will not be afraid to make a change if it is needed. 

Not sure who'll start. I'm just excited to find out.

They didn't make the right decision when Milton didn't start the first few games his FR year, though he did show up late. Martinez has been here since January 

51 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

They didn't make the right decision when Milton didn't start the first few games his FR year, though he did show up late. Martinez has been here since January 

There is no way for you to know that.

You have no clue how he was doing in practice at the beginning of the season or how well he knew the play book....etc.

It's very possible he wasn't the best option at that time.

• Plus1 4
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

There is no way for you to know that.

You have no clue how he was doing in practice at the beginning of the season or how well he knew the play book....etc.

It's very possible he wasn't the best option at that time.

I trust this staff. Again, it was only because Milton came in late. The other two were 3/11 against Michigan. They weren't good at all. Practice only goes so far 

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I trust this staff. Again, it was only because Milton came in late. The other two were 3/11 against Michigan. They weren't good at all. Practice only goes so far 

I don't think it's only because he came in late.  Pretty sure there were injury issues as well.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I think both QBs get snaps in the first 3 games, then the decision will be made based on live action.

Yeah, I agree, but I think limit Martinez to two games to start, not three. Maybe we adjust the plan after week 1 or 2, but best case scenario in my mind (assuming they'rere basically even at the end of camp) is that we get Martinez game experience, but still try to use his RS.

If they are even, then think limit Martinez to only two of the first 3 games, maybe even a full game. So we're getting him exprience right away in the event that we do need him, but can still use him (and keep his RS) in the scenario that Gebbia gets a minor injury, but doesn't necessarily miss more than a game here or there. 

And in the scenario that Gebbia stays healthy all season, then we can play Martinez in clean-up time in the playoffs to get him more experience before next season, and still use his RS.

Or maybe Martinez is just better, and should play all season. Hard telling.