Frost’s QB Room

29 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I have looked at several different fan polls- all seem to favor Martinez but not by a landslide.  That surprises me honestly as I don't know a single person who doesn't think he will start.  The kid can flat run and I can't wait to see him on Saturdays.  TG is a good QB but kind of vanilla to me.  

It might depend on if they watched the Spring Game or not.

HuskerBoard has taken (at least) two polls on this.  In the first poll (pre-Spring Game), Gebbia got 62 votes, Martinez got 21 and POB got 16.  However, after the Spring Game, Martinez got 103 votes to Gebbia's 34.

The nice thing either way it goes is, after the October change to the redshirt rules, he can play 4 games. So if Gebbia gets the start, Martinez can still go in if necessary and not lose his redshirt.

I think the more likely scenario is, even if he's not the starter, he plays more than that.

5 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Hi, I'm BlitzFirst.  I'm the first person you've met that says, 

I don't think he'll start. 

Me either. Watching UCF's games from the last 2 years, that offense isn't effective when the QB can't hit those medium to long throws, but even more important than that is the decision-making, which we can't telling anything about until we see them play.

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The nice thing either way it goes is, after the October change to the redshirt rules, he can play 4 games. So if Gebbia gets the start, Martinez can still go in if necessary and not lose his redshirt.

I think the more likely scenario is, even if he's not the starter, he plays more than that.

Ya, don't think he shirts, IMO he starts,  but at least we can play him some then back-off if Gebbia has established himself or AM gets banged-up.  The one thing we can't do is play him past four games just for a few  back-up reps that Bunch could have taken. 

12 hours ago, Landlord said:

I have a hunch that Gebbia will be the guy, but that's not based on much.

I agree - I think Gebbia has a slim lead going into fall camp. I base such on the reports coming out of spring ball and Gebbia getting the first reps in the spring game. I think Martinez will have to show he is clearly better than Gebbia to taking the starting spot in fall camp. If its close I think Gebbia will start out the year as the guy. 

• Plus1 1

I have been on record since before the Spring Game that I thought Adrian Martinez would be the starter come fall.  The QBs performances in the spring game only solidified my opinion.  I don't think Gebbia is all that far behind, but honestly, I think the #1 QB spot is AM's to lose.  Put it this way, I don't think AM was promised the starting job, but when Frost said that AM was his #1 QB recruit, and thought he has the best prospect in the country, maybe put 2+2 together...

Disclaimer: If the starter ends up being Gebbia I will flip out and start calling for this staff to be fired!!!!!  Just kidding.  But I will be legit surprised.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Landlord said:

Back on topic, if Martinez wins the starting spot, that says a lot about him as a smart/talented kid. We've had plenty of elite talents come in at quarterback - none of them have ever started as a true freshman. That also gives our program a good, stable footing to start off this new era with - that will help with recruiting, that will help in the film room, that will help in pretty much every capacity over the next four years. 

I'm not a fan of freshmen starting at QB.  Now, if he's the best option....then go with it.  But, in practice, I would prefer not being in that situation.  If he starts this season, I hope he really is something very very special.

Prediction.....if he starts, our QB recruiting over the next couple years is going to be frustrating.