Memorial Stadium Renovation

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I used to think so.  But with the real threat of empty stands at opening kickoff, I think he’s just going to have to get over it.

I don’t think selling beer at games is going to cause thousands of fans to decide to show up (and pay $12 for a Bud Light) who otherwise would stay home.

I would think alcohol is more of a revenue generator from concession sales than ticket sales.

• TBH 3

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don’t think selling beer at games is going to cause thousands of fans to decide to show up (and pay $12 for a Bud Light) who otherwise would stay home.

I would think alcohol is more of a revenue generator from concession sales than ticket sales.

I know a lot of people who are chagrined by the lack of alcohol at Husker football games. It may not necessarily be a deciding factor in whether someone goes to a game, but no one individual thing ever is. It's the collection of amenities and available experiences that determines someone's interest.

And alcohol pricing isn't really prohibitive, even though people sometimes like to suggest it is. I've been going to Cubs games and buying s#!tty PBR for more than a decade now, and even though I whine about the beer cost outside the stadium, it doesn't stop me from plunking three or four down before the 7th inning.

• TBH 3
32 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I haven't really had a strong interest in going to games in person for several years, for pretty obvious reasons.  And to add, my kids and wife don't care about Nebraska football and I don't feel like ditching them at home.

But I would definitely look into going with a group of buddies if we could just go to the game and be comfortable (please don't equate "comfortable" with quiet and apathetic).  I'm getting too old to mess with tailgates and bars, but I really enjoy a cold beer (especially during the hot games!).  I also would really love to see a remodeled stadium in person.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Alcohol will not be allowed at FB games until TO is in his final resting place.

4 hours ago, funhusker said:

I used to think so.  But with the real threat of empty stands at opening kickoff, I think he’s just going to have to get over it.

TO can pound sand. What other organization would take serious direction from a person who retired more than a generation ago about the state of current affairs?

• Thanks 2
  • TBH 2

Listening to this week’s Doc Talk Podcast, and they mention that part of the discussion of the capital investment by the Athletic Department and other University leaders was building a whole new stadium. There is no mention of where it could have been built, but I’m glad they didn’t do that. College football stadiums need to be on/near campus, and Memorial Stadium is uniquely situated so close to downtown Lincoln. 

• TBH 4
38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

While we are changing things at the stadium, can we please switch sides of the field so on a 95 degree day in the fall our ram is the one more comfortable in the shade and not the one still in the blazing sun?

You want to have the bench on the west side in Sept to stay cooler. But then you also want the bench on the east side in Nov to stay warmer.

I know Fleck has tried to get MN to move their bench to the north side so they get sun in Oct and Nov, but the admin has told him not a chance because the big $ donors in the club section and suites all currently sit on the south side behind their bench.

But if we’re completely redoing the donation model in a couple years then I see no reason why we can’t switch the sidelines.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
49 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I know Fleck has tried to get MN to move their bench to the north side so they get sun in Oct and Nov, but the admin has told him not a chance because the big $ donors in the club section and suites all currently sit on the south side behind their bench.

But if we’re completely redoing the donation model in a couple years then I see no reason why we can’t switch the sidelines.

I never realized that their stadium runs east-west, and I have been there (although I was super hungover for that game). Most football stadiums are situated north-south. The only other major stadiums that I know of that run east-west are Oklahoma State’s and AT&T Stadium (where the Cowboys play). Jerry Jones is so dumb that he has windows on the West end zone,  which let the setting sun in the west shine through and blinds the players and fans on late afternoon games. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

While we are changing things at the stadium, can we please switch sides of the field so on a 95 degree day in the fall our ram is the one more comfortable in the shade and not the one still in the blazing sun?

Either the benefits of being warmer later in the year or of some other unknown variable are worth it enough for things to be the way they are, or nobody has actually thought about it in 60+ years.

8 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Either the benefits of being warmer later in the year or of some other unknown variable are worth it enough for things to be the way they are, or nobody has actually thought about it in 60+ years.

Pretty sure we thought about it when we switched sides of the field during COVID

• TBH 3