Memorial Stadium Renovation

42 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Money isn’t a challenge for us with NIL, it’s convincing 16-18 year old kids and their families that the dumpster fire they’ve witnessed for 10 years is in the rear view mirror.

also worth noting- they don’t have the full funding secured at the moment for this- there’s actually a pretty sizable gap Trev and regents need to figure out if they truly do not want to tap into tax payer funds/university funds.  

stadium improvements are past the stage of needed. Fans and tradition aside, we are lagging behind many programs when it comes to gameday experience (ease of access to seats, concession quantity quality and diversity, ease of restroom access) hopefully these changes puts us back with the big dogs on giving fans a reason to go to a game as opposed to watching in the comfy confines of their own home 

This is just not true. If money wasn't an issue with NIL Nebraska would be recruiting much better players. They would be getting more than Billy Kemp out of the Portal. If you offer kids significant money to come here they will. It doesn't mean you'll land every kid, but the talent acquisition can at least get Nebraska to a much higher level.

And while I agree that the stadium needs upgrades to make the experience better for fans, no amount of amenities will make watching a so-so football team get beat by Ohio State worthwhile. 

• Plus1 4

52 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Money isn’t a challenge for us with NIL, it’s convincing 16-18 year old kids and their families that the dumpster fire they’ve witnessed for 10 years is in the rear view mirror.

also worth noting- they don’t have the full funding secured at the moment for this- there’s actually a pretty sizable gap Trev and regents need to figure out if they truly do not want to tap into tax payer funds/university funds.  

stadium improvements are past the stage of needed. Fans and tradition aside, we are lagging behind many programs when it comes to gameday experience (ease of access to seats, concession quantity quality and diversity, ease of restroom access) hopefully these changes puts us back with the big dogs on giving fans a reason to go to a game as opposed to watching in the comfy confines of their own home 

Kansas St.   Just win Baby

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This is just not true. If money wasn't an issue with NIL Nebraska would be recruiting much better players. They would be getting more than Billy Kemp out of the Portal. If you offer kids significant money to come here they will. It doesn't mean you'll land every kid, but the talent acquisition can at least get Nebraska to a much higher level.

And while I agree that the stadium needs upgrades to make the experience better for fans, no amount of amenities will make watching a so-so football team get beat by Ohio State worthwhile. 

I see where you're coming from philosophically, but his post is more accurate than yours. The hundreds of millions of dollars that are going to be put towards these renovations (which have been needed for a long time) are likely not going to come from sources that would allow you to just transplant the money into an NIL fund, especially if they go the public funds route. It's not an either/or situation.

Also, most people in the know about Nebraska's program and their NIL situation have said it's not a concern. Sipple was on Unsportsmanlike Conduct talking about this just a week or two ago. Nebraska's in a very fortuitous position compared to most other programs around the country, but recruiting is still about more than just how much NIL money you can throw at a player. I'm also pretty confident that if Nebraska ever identifed players they thought were worth spending a lot of money on, they'd find a way to make it happen.

3 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I agree! But use some of that sweet B1G TV money to pay for it. 

If you're tapping the private side to fund $225 million, why not put that into NIL? Why not use your private donors to help the on field product - the only way within the rules to use money to directly do that - and use that TV money to pay for the stadium? 

Fans aren't going to be thrilled to show up to a nice new stadium just to watch Nebraska lose to talented teams like Oregon/USC/etc. just because they have seat backs now.

They have to figure out how to do both.  

I trust they are. 

20 hours ago, runningblind said:

A story that gets brought up every time I get together with college buddies.  This wasn't in Memorial, but I was urinating at a trough elsewhere and my buddy walks up and says "You call that a d!ck?"  Never heard a full bathroom of 40+ people all crack up at the same time.  I'm sure they all tell that story too.

At the Iowa game a few years back someone shouted in the mostly-quiet bathroom, "Make room at the trough, guys! Iowa fans sit down to pee!"

Everyone laughed, including the Iowa fans.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Cornfed said:

Meh. When I go to a game I could give a F less about how nice the bathrooms are or if the stadium has seat backs. What I do remember is the actual game and the energy of the crowd. Spend $500 million on getting an annual top 10 program then worry about the stadium. 

Apparently you've never been stuck in a row full of 400 lb fans who each take 2-3 seats and leave everyone squished together like sardines.  You also should know that those 400 lb fans sweat like they are water fountains even when it's 30 degrees outside.

• TBH 1

Once again my previous thread (approx. 2 years ago) .....

TdcbBmj.png

wwZe1Iy.png

..... closer to the action !!!

And then .....

• Plant real RED robin hedge.  Right now, ugly construction barrier fence .... eye sore IMO
  • Nice natural grass !!!
  • Remove mini-screen video boards (4 each) ... hidden !  Now tradition pillars .... carve "Southeast: "In Commemoration of the men of Nebraska who served and fell in the Nation's Wars." "Southwest: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory." "Northwest: "Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport." "Northeast: "Their Lives they held their country's trust; They kept its faith; They died its heroes."
  • Install huge HD Daktronics video board.  Made in USA (Brookings SD)

Next project .... renovate North stadium

tUJhg5k.png

sKJVoBL.png

Finally exaggerate project :o ..... lower field level approx 10'.  Thus more seats.  Just like Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium .....

• (wiki source) ... field was lowered seven feet to accommodate new front-row and field-level seats
  • Plus1 1