Memorial Stadium Renovation

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Please tell me they're keeping the low wall for the piss troughs. No greater feelings this world than making eye contact with another man 4 feet from you while you're both holding your schwanz.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

We all know you've thought about winking and seeing what the reaction would be.

A story that gets brought up every time I get together with college buddies.  This wasn't in Memorial, but I was urinating at a trough elsewhere and my buddy walks up and says "You call that a d!ck?"  Never heard a full bathroom of 40+ people all crack up at the same time.  I'm sure they all tell that story too.

• Haha 4

https://huskers.com/news/2023/9/28/regents-will-consider-memorial-stadium-renovation-plans

Specific planned renovations include:

• South Stadium demolition and replacement with chair-back general seating.
  • New chair-back seating in West and East stadiums.
  • 360-degree main-level concourse connection and 270-degree upper-level concourse connection.
  • Concession upgrades, refurbished menu options and added points of sale throughout the stadium.
  • Restroom modernization throughout the stadium.
  • Academic curriculum space, with specific uses guided by UNL’s academic leadership.
  • Enhanced student life amenities.
  • ADA upgrades throughout the stadium.

Completion of the entire stadium renovation project is targeted for July 2026, with occupancy to follow in August.

Plans for the $450 million renovation will go before the Board at its Oct. 5 meeting. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

I'm digging it.  South Stadium has always sucked, and getting the students a much better "area" will be part of this I'm guessing.

Not having access to South Stadium stands for 1-2 seasons is really going to hamper attendance though.  Unlike the North stadium, I don't think they'll be able to reuse much of the South, but I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

There's a lot to like here, but my question is about the private money. 

Use that $225 million for NIL to buy players. Adding suites to the field, upgrading the bathrooms, and making the seats comfortable are all great but doesn't really mean much if fans show up to see bad football. 

Nebraska needs to buy better players.

I don't disagree, but a cool-a$$ stadium to play in doesn't hurt, and South Stadium has needed a renovation for decades. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

I don't disagree, but a cool-a$$ stadium to play in doesn't hurt, and South Stadium has needed a renovation for decades. 

I agree! But use some of that sweet B1G TV money to pay for it. 

If you're tapping the private side to fund $225 million, why not put that into NIL? Why not use your private donors to help the on field product - the only way within the rules to use money to directly do that - and use that TV money to pay for the stadium? 

Fans aren't going to be thrilled to show up to a nice new stadium just to watch Nebraska lose to talented teams like Oregon/USC/etc. just because they have seat backs now.

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I agree! But use some of that sweet B1G TV money to pay for it. 

If you're tapping the private side to fund $225 million, why not put that into NIL? Why not use your private donors to help the on field product - the only way within the rules to use money to directly do that - and use that TV money to pay for the stadium? 

Fans aren't going to be thrilled to show up to a nice new stadium just to watch Nebraska lose to talented teams like Oregon/USC/etc. just because they have seat backs now.

That TV money isn't going anywhere, though, at least through supposedly when construction will finish. It does put a bit more onus on the program to start winning and fast, though. 

• Plus1 1