Memorial Stadium Renovation

late Wednesday night:

"Operating a college athletics program is a big job. It takes strong management skills, the ability to make tough decisions and the very highest levels of integrity. For as long as we’ve known him, Trev Alberts has delivered. Athletics are expensive, and there are unique challenges for smaller programs like UNO’s, especially in the changing athletics landscape. But sports are an integral part of our vibrant campus culture and we strongly support the investments we’ve made in our student-athletes. In his time at UNO and now at UNL, Trev has led with integrity and accountability. Every dollar of donor money has been used as directed and our programs have been responsibly and transparently managed. We have 100% confidence in his leadership.”

7 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

If you read the memo it isn’t anywhere nearly as bad as this hack newspaper makes it seem. 

FFP isn't a hack paper. They're doing good journalism for the most part. 

But after catching the headline in the tweet, I read the story and... I was waiting for the big bad reveal. And unless I missed it because it's some kind of accounting minutiae, I didn't see it.

Seems like UNO under Alberts is/was doing some creative accounting. Is that fraud? Is that a necessity for an athletic program in the red? Aren't almost all athletic departments in the red?

I would have liked to have seen a comparison to other athletic departments (not UNL, because we're always in the black), so that we could see that this is actually a scandal. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

I'm not understanding if this is a scandal or poor accounting practices so I asked the paper. 

Matt Wynn, whose twitter bio says, "Behind the curtain at Flatwater Free Press" responded:

The memo that gave birth to this article ends:

Mq83FQ7.png

1YARlcX.png

None of the conclusions or recommendations insinuate that further investigation is needed. Seems like they're calling for changes in accounting procedures and accountability. Seems pretty banal to me (I am not an accountant).

• Plus1 4
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm not understanding if this is a scandal or poor accounting practices so I asked the paper. 

Matt Wynn, whose twitter bio says, "Behind the curtain at Flatwater Free Press" responded:

Mq83FQ7.png

1YARlcX.png

None of the conclusions or recommendations insinuate that further investigation is needed. Seems like they're calling for changes in accounting procedures and accountability. Seems pretty banal to me (I am not an accountant).

+1 simply for using the word banal, but thanks for the rest as well!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Mq83FQ7.png

1YARlcX.png

I am an accountant and it's hard to tell much from a memo.  To really understand what was going on we would have to see everything (or at least enough information to actually audit their books) for all the years.  

It looks like there were some unusual practices but most athletic departments run in the red and have to get money from the general fund + fund accounting is a completely different animal from regular accounting.

I think the most concerning part for me was that any expense over $1000 had to be approved by the "Athletics Cabinet".  That seems like a very small amount for an organization with the amount of revenue they have.  I get that they want to get expenses under control, but that is a very low threshold.

• TBH 1